• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s How old is Grandpa?

Megacab

Cunning Linguist
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2007
Boston
www.snipershide.com
Ok, you all know me. I detest reposting stupid shit people send via email, but this one stuck out...

One evening a grandson was talking to his grandfather about current events.
The grandson asked his grandfather what he thought about the shootings at schools, the computer age, and things in general.

The Grandfather replied, "Well, let me think a minute, I was born before:
television
penicillin
polio shots
frozen foods
Xerox
contact lenses
Frisbees
birth control pills
There were no:
credit cards
laser beams
ball-point pens
Man had not invented:
pantyhose
air conditioners
dishwashers
clothes dryers
man hadn't yet walked on the moon

Your Grandmother and I got married first, then lived together.
Every family had a father and a mother.
Until I was 25, I called every man older than me, "Sir".
And after I turned 25, I still called policemen and every man with a title, "Sir."
We were before gay-rights, computer dating, dual careers, daycare centers, and group therapy.
Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense.
We were taught to know the difference between right and wrong and to stand up and take responsibility for our actions.
Serving your country was a privilege; living in this country was a bigger privilege.
We thought fast food was what people ate during Lent.
Having a meaningful relationship meant getting along with your cousins.
Draft dodgers were people who closed their front doors when the evening breeze started.
Time-sharing meant time the family spent together in the evenings and weekends-not purchasing condominiums.
We never heard of FM radios, tape decks, CDs, electric typewriters, yogurt, or guys wearing earrings.
We listened to the Big Bands, Jack Benny, and the President's speeches on our radios.
And I don't ever remember any kid blowing his brains out listening to Tommy Dorsey.
If you saw anything with 'Made in Japan ' on it, it was junk
The term 'making out' referred to how you did on your school exam.
Pizza Hut, McDonald's, and instant coffee was unheard of.
We had 5 & 10 cent stores where you could actually buy things for 5 and 10 cents.
Ice-cream cones, phone calls, rides on a streetcar, and a Pepsi were all a nickel
And if you didn't want to splurge, you could spend your nickel on enough stamps to mail 1 letter and 2 postcards.
You could buy a new Chevy Coupe for $600, but who could afford one?
Too bad, because gas was 11 cents a gallon.

In my day:
"grass" was mowed,
"coke" was a cold drink,
"pot" was something your mother cooked in
"rock music" was a lullaby.
"Aids" were helpers in the Principal's office,
"chip" meant a piece of wood,
"hardware" was found in a hardware store
"software" wasn't even a word.
"taking it easy" was for Sundays, after church and the chores

Any guess as to how old this man is?

This man could be only 59 years old...

A little something to think about in these days of madness.

Jack

Re: How old is Grandpa?

My grand father died at 86 yrs old (7 yrs ago) , I used to sit and listenin amazment to some of the things he would talk about and wonder how the hell could people survive.

The first 2 weeks after hurricane Katrina I thought about what he said alot and a whole lot of that stuff made sense.

Reactions: mtrmn and bmash
Re: How old is Grandpa?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The first 2 weeks after hurricane Katrina I thought about what he said alot and a whole lot of that stuff made sense. </div></div>

When my grandmother's house was destroyed by Katrina, she was a mess. In the days following, I kept reminding her of how much she had been through up to this point in her life (now in her mid-80's). Kinda put it in perspective for all of there once we stopped and thought abut it.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jETv3NURwLc"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jETv3NURwLc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I can relate to that as my 86th birthday was last Sunday. We didn't even get electricity until I was in the 3rd grade and thanks to Texas' unbending law if you were not 6 years old on or before September 1st you waited until the next year to start school. I missed that date by 17 days.

I will confess to being really happy when rock and roll appeared as our few radio stations carried squeeky fiddle C&W and I was never and am still not a fan. We only got a little in the afternoon on our local AM station that shut down at 6 PM. Finally KOMA from Oklahoma went to rock and we could pick it all night long. It would come in about dark dark and go away shortly after sunrise. XERF, if my memory is correct, at Villa Acunia, a weekend get away for a lot of young guys, also broadcast rock and being in Mexico had a 300,000 watt transmitter that would reach up to us in winter. It was a long drive but you could party in Cunia until you were flat broke in a very short time. Sometimes some returned with unwanted souveniers.

:) This site framework makes it really easy to reply to old threads without knowing it.

When my nieces and nephews were small, I'd tell them "When grandpa was your age, everything was still in black and white." ;)

He (my dad) said when he went to basic training, it was the first time he had an indoor toilet.

Last edited:
I can relate to that as my 86th birthday was last Sunday. We didn't even get electricity until I was in the 3rd grade and thanks to Texas' unbending law if you were not 6 years old on or before September 1st you waited until the next year to start school. I missed that date by 17 days.

I will confess to being really happy when rock and roll appeared as our few radio stations carried squeeky fiddle C&W and I was never and am still not a fan. We only got a little in the afternoon on our local AM station that shut down at 6 PM. Finally KOMA from Oklahoma went to rock and we could pick it all night long. It would come in about dark dark and go away shortly after sunrise. XERF, if my memory is correct, at Villa Acunia, a weekend get away for a lot of young guys, also broadcast rock and being in Mexico had a 300,000 watt transmitter that would reach up to us in winter. It was a long drive but you could party in Cunia until you were flat broke in a very short time. Sometimes some returned with unwanted souveniers.
Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys only went so far, right.

I dont go back that far but growing up in rural Virginia I remember staying up late at night to get Cousin Brucie on WABC out of NYC on AM.

that's an easy one to answer just cut into him and count the growth rings just like a tree or rock . you could also throw him in a mud ring with a young nurse and see how well he does , find it hard to believe this will help you date em . but he will enjoy it and a good laugh is always with the time .

Last edited:

Kick ass

Reactions: Threadcutter308
Ok, you all know me. I detest reposting stupid shit people send via email, but this one stuck out...

One evening a grandson was talking to his grandfather about current events.
The grandson asked his grandfather what he thought about the shootings at schools, the computer age, and things in general.

The Grandfather replied, "Well, let me think a minute, I was born before:
television
penicillin
polio shots
frozen foods
Xerox
contact lenses
Frisbees
birth control pills
There were no:
credit cards
laser beams
ball-point pens
Man had not invented:
pantyhose
air conditioners
dishwashers
clothes dryers
man hadn't yet walked on the moon

Your Grandmother and I got married first, then lived together.
Every family had a father and a mother.
Until I was 25, I called every man older than me, "Sir".
And after I turned 25, I still called policemen and every man with a title, "Sir."
We were before gay-rights, computer dating, dual careers, daycare centers, and group therapy.
Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense.
We were taught to know the difference between right and wrong and to stand up and take responsibility for our actions.
Serving your country was a privilege; living in this country was a bigger privilege.
We thought fast food was what people ate during Lent.
Having a meaningful relationship meant getting along with your cousins.
Draft dodgers were people who closed their front doors when the evening breeze started.
Time-sharing meant time the family spent together in the evenings and weekends-not purchasing condominiums.
We never heard of FM radios, tape decks, CDs, electric typewriters, yogurt, or guys wearing earrings.
We listened to the Big Bands, Jack Benny, and the President's speeches on our radios.
And I don't ever remember any kid blowing his brains out listening to Tommy Dorsey.
If you saw anything with 'Made in Japan ' on it, it was junk
The term 'making out' referred to how you did on your school exam.
Pizza Hut, McDonald's, and instant coffee was unheard of.
We had 5 & 10 cent stores where you could actually buy things for 5 and 10 cents.
Ice-cream cones, phone calls, rides on a streetcar, and a Pepsi were all a nickel
And if you didn't want to splurge, you could spend your nickel on enough stamps to mail 1 letter and 2 postcards.
You could buy a new Chevy Coupe for $600, but who could afford one?
Too bad, because gas was 11 cents a gallon.

In my day:
"grass" was mowed,
"coke" was a cold drink,
"pot" was something your mother cooked in
"rock music" was a lullaby.
"Aids" were helpers in the Principal's office,
"chip" meant a piece of wood,
"hardware" was found in a hardware store
"software" wasn't even a word.
"taking it easy" was for Sundays, after church and the chores

Any guess as to how old this man is?

This man could be only 59 years old...

I'm 67 and the polio vaccine predates me by a year.

Reactions: Threadcutter308
Acknowledging that "How old is gramdpa" isn't really the point of the post, I'll derailt the discussion with:
How did he get ice cream cones w/o frozen food?
First frozen food business...Austraila ~1861 so Gramps is 162 (older than the original post date).
I also checked FM radio (1933), ballpoint pen (1888), and penicillan (1928).

Granpa may be old but he can still take a hickory stick and whip the piss out of you for sassing him.;)

My Grandpa didn't have a ton of patience with us by the time we came along. But he taught me how to put a scary sharp edge on a knife, to always buy the best tool you can afford, and marksmanship, not just shooting mind you.

I would give almost anything for a day with him to pick his brain on gun and life-related topics at this stage in my life.

Reactions: 37L1

Cunia. This the same place where ZZTop's Mexican Blackbird worked the cantina?

Reactions: EddieNFL
I remember talking to the old lady across the road about a decade ago and she told me how she would listen to her grandma tell her about going out to the North 40 to watch Lincoln's funeral train pass by.

• Wow
Reactions: Marinevet1
Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys only went so far, right.

I dont go back that far but growing up in rural Virginia I remember staying up late at night to get Cousin Brucie on WABC out of NYC on AM.

Just the thought of Bob Wills still sets my teeth on edge . There was clone band from Big Spring, TX that drove up and
played at the hokeytonk in my little town on Friday nights. Hoyle Nix and the West Texas Playboys. They would probably be sued out of existence in today's world.The place was always packed. My best buddy worked night in a filling station and I would drive into town and we would watch the place from across the street and got to see some real knock down, drag out fights in the parking lot. We were still in high school so the place was a no-go for us not that I ever really wanted to.
I'm 67 and the polio vaccine predates me by a year.
I was so glad to see it arrive. City streets in every town around were almost deserted in summer before it became available. A neighbor's grown son caught polio and spent the rest of his short life in an iron lung. I can't imagine how horrible that was for him and his family.

My best buddy worked night in a filling station
You may have to define filling station.

I was so glad to see it arrive. City streets in every town around were almost deserted in summer before it became available. A neighbor's grown son caught polio and spent the rest of his short life in an iron lung. I can't imagine how horrible that was for him and his family.

I have an uncle, 93 or 94 now, that had polio. He recovered, but it came back to haunt him later.

Man gotta be a necro thread site record
giphy (18).gif

Grandpa was born in 1881 in a country far away.

The only constant is change. Different times and I'm sure down the road many will look back on this era fondly.

Reactions: Maggot
My Grandpa died at 106 and this was in the late 70's.
My Great Grandpa traded with the Indians in the Iowa/Nebraska areas.....honestly. He had a beard that was long enough to tuck in his belt.
I used to have a picture of him and his *brood* but it crumbled away due to age. :(