• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How old when you first broke 1000 yds?

blksno

I don't have one
Minuteman
  • Mar 15, 2009
    SD
    <div id="fb-root"></div> <script>(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs); }(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));</script>
    <div class="fb-post" data-href="https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=683733908366317" data-width="466"><div class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore"><a href="https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=683733908366317">Post</a> by <a href="https://www.facebook.com/james.oneill.5245">James O'Neill</a>.</div></div>

Man thats great! I was 27 years old first time to 1000 yards. Im 41 years old now. I have shot at rocks out to 2350 yards with 338 lapua now. My daughter was 12 first time she shot 260 out to 1320 yards on A large rock, It was the size of a toyota truck hood but we had fun shooting it. Now she 14 years old an shooting my 284 at that same rock. It looks like a cheetah now!

Nice shooting by that youngster and looks like a great dad but I wish he would put some eye protection on his son.

I admit I have shot before on occasion without it but it was my choice.

I was 23 or so. The "600" yard range had a view across a canyon. My new at the time Leica rangefinder lit up a rock at 1150 yards so I started chipping out chunks of the rock with a .308. The rock was probably the size of a car but still, first time long range fun.

44. Six months after I started shooting.

too old!
    hahahah
    hit the 1000 mark about 8 months after starting to shoot. easy to do with a 7mm.
    (hit the 2000 mark about 2 years after starting out but needed to buy a better gun to do that)

31. Last Wednesday at the NRA PLR 1 class. 1200 yards 24x24 inch plate 4 hits in a row before the wind took me off track. First time I have shot further than 200 yards.

32 for me! Just got into long range last year. Had my wife and my 13 year old son hit it as well. Good times!

20 with a G22 in 300 Win Mag.

Had never done it before and got extremely good at it within a few weeks. It's amazing what being made to practice every day without a choice as well as free ammunition can do.

I did at 27 last year. Only been shooting at distance for about 6 months. Helped to be shooting a 7 wsm and 180 Hybrids though. Haha

56 in 2002, now 68. Shot 1Km with my first .260 at Whittington. Helluva day for me.

Greg

Shot 950 yards at 26, then got an IPSC steel the next year and was hitting it within a week. Target is still going strong after 3 years.

28 yrs old...1000yrds+. Started shooting as early as I could remember...600yrds and in was all that was available to me then.

24 this year. Killing gallon water jugs out in the desert. Got to learn how much the wind affected a .308 out that far. Had to hold almost to the edge of the reticle! Desert winds can be fierce.

19 - went from 550, 730, 950, 1100, 1500, 1760 all in one days. Good times, all were first. I was an extremely uneducated shooter at the time.

17. With a .243 in the high desert of NV. Not consistent back then but did hit.

That was pretty awesome! I woulda had him started on your .243 WSSM...for a little less recoil.;)

I was in my early teens. At 18 I made a first round hit, and two consecutive hits at over 3,000 yards....

with a TOW missile.

24, wish I'd had money to start sooner.

You know the hard part about this is, if you have room like I did, you could really do it with an off the shelf rifle. Not competitive, but if someone is there {added: to help you} who knows how to get it done, you can hit. That alone is a huge confidence booster.

Never and I'm 33. I shot to about 900 for the first time this year and that was with gusting winds up to 35mph, other than that i's just been 400 yards and under. I am itching to go shoot longer ever since I tried 900 but I hate that it's a 3.5 hour drive to the nearest range.

YES
    YES
    YES!!!!!
    I am 43 and just got my first hit a few seconds ago at 1082 yds with my savage 260.
    I'm SOOO happy to hear the sound of steel coming back!
    Today was my first attempt, normally I shoot at the gun club that goes to 700 but I finally got a steel plate setup for my at home range.
    Wind I kicking my butt but I got a hit!
    Wind is about 16mph

I was in my late twenties. My daughter was 9. She is the current Tennessee F-Class Jr champion. She will be 11 in a few weeks.

22 years old, 1100 meters in Sniper school using an M-24 with M118LR and a 10x M3A Leupold.

My personal rifles seem like cheating compared to that old setup.

Hopefully age 35. That means I have until February. I've shot various types of rifles my entire life but hadn't attempted any sort of long range precision until a friend took me with him to shoot his AI PSR. We shot out to 835 that day. I came home and immediately began shopping for a rifle. I'm currently waiting for mine to be built. Hopefully I'll see it soon since the scope and ammo are waiting.

my daughter was 11 for her first 1K yard shot. Her first shot past 100 yards with something other than an AR was right to 725 with the bullets she loaded from start to finish with my help. She has taken my 6mm creedmoor to 1300 which is as far as I have taken that gun. Not to many places around here to get out past 1k or so which sucks!

I was 12 or 13 my first time. Out at the Wittington Center for the Youth Marksmanship Camp. I was 19 when I started shooting F Class.

When I was 59, last year at Best in the West, a little ways North of Austin, TX with my 6.5 Creedmoor. My first 1000 yard shot was high left due to wind and "1st time @ 1000 yards anxiety," but all other shots (14/15) were hits in a pretty steady 8mph wind from 3 o'clock. The temp was ~92F and the mirage was wicked strong, so I was very happy with all those hits. No pictures since several others were shooting the same steel target. Great fun. Anxious to go out even further!

I was 16 at Thunder Valley precision my first time (20 now and currently deployed, waiting to get back home). I was shooting my savage .223 which is now my 6.5CM. Got a hit at the mile target there once with that rifle, maybe twice.