• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How should I judge my best group during load devel

bigjake722003

Private
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2010
Elizabeth, WV
When I do load developement and I find 4 or 5 charges I like I usually shoot 3 5 shot groups of each one....Should I judge my best charge by overall best group measurement or by the group with the least amount of elevation spread and attribute the left and right to be shooter error?

Re: How should I judge my best group during load devel

I don't see how you can make a determination if you want to attribute half of your shots to human error?

I would look at group size, period. What you see at 100 or 1000, it's still going to have a certain amount of shooter error so it should be evaluated just like you are using a universal receiver. Because that's what you will be seeing, those are your results, including left, right and high low. Measure the group and if you want to note called, "out" shots, that's fine too. BB

i shoot 3 shot groups at developemnt. starting with my lowest charges and work up.you can tell when things start to tighten up. when that happens i usually have a shooting buddy shoot 3 more of that combo out of my rifle. if it shoots good with him it aint shooter error.

I wouldn't attribute left/right automatically to shooter error. When I've done load workups, I've had some that just plain didn't group well. Up/down/left/right, they were just all over. Other loads in the same batch didn't have anywhere near the same left/right deviation. Now, I'm not doing a statistical analysis, it's possible that every 3rd and 5th shot in that particular batch/string I pulled shots. If that's the case though, load development is the only time I do that (and of course, it's not always groups 3 and 5, those were just examples).

Not to mention, why would you be more prone to left/right error than up/down? If you're ignoring left/right because you can't shoot, you might as well ignore up/down for the same reason.

if i have a couple that show promise, i shoot 5 shot groups. in my experience, a 5 shot group will often make things clearer.

i also like having a buddy shoot a couple groups also. i have one that i know is a great trigger puller, and like to compare 2 of his 5 shot groups with 2 of mine, and i will know something pretty quick after that.

Spread can be attributed to shooter, wind, load, bullet, brass, primer, RIFLE, yada yada yada. Measure your groups outside to outside and subtract bullet diameter....go from there.

okie