• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How smooth is Remington 700 action

How do you know what Remington's linear and geometric tolerances are supposed to be for each dimension and feature of the 700 action and bolt? How do you know what the nominal value of each dimension is?

Don't answer that. I know that you don't know because Remington doesn't let the general public know those things. Neither does any other manufacturer for that matter.

Most of you don't even know the difference between tolerances and fits. Just typical gun forum bullshit to appear knowledgeable.
It's based on science, math and the law of large numbers. It's not rocket science. Large production operations will exhibit higher variability in their end products. Toyota manufactures millions of cars a year, most car buyers will get the "average" product, while some will get a better product, and some will get lemons that fall apart after they drive it off the showroom - we have all experienced this. There's more luck of the draw when it comes to large production manufacturer's end product.

If you buy a low volume "custom" made Ferrari(or a low volume custom made precision rifle action), you will get a better "blue printed" product that was made with tighter tolerances, checked and tested in more detail. That is just basic business, if not, the custom auto-maker/action builder will go out of business.

It's the same thing between cheap versus high end tier 1 scopes... If you think your average "factory" 700 action is build to the same QC and tolerance as an Accuracy International action, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn I like to sell you.

I stand by my post and opinion.

Last edited:
It's based on science, math and the law of large numbers. It's not rocket science. Large production operations will exhibit higher variability in their end products. Toyota manufactures millions of cars a year, most car buyers will get the "average" product, while some will get a better product, and some will get lemons that fall apart after they drive it off the showroom - we have all experienced this. There's more luck of the draw when it comes to large production manufacturer's end product.

If you buy a low volume "custom" made Ferrari(or a low volume custom made precision rifle action), you will get a better "blue printed" product that was made with tighter tolerances, checked and tested in more detail. That is just basic business, if not, the custom auto-maker/action builder will go out of business.

It's the same thing between cheap versus high end tier 1 scopes... If you think your average "factory" 700 action is build to the same QC and tolerance as an Accuracy International action, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn I like to sell you.

I stand by my post and opinion.

LOL

Listen, I know you wanted to sound knowledgeable with all this talk about "tolerances" and "matching" and "blueprinting". And most people in the forum know as little or less than you about the subject, so they'll be impressed. But not everyone.

If it's not sold in Walmart, it doesn't count. You have to remember, the 700 is meant for the average Joe not the PRS guy. The 700 is meant for the guy that says where your $3,000 rifle kill a deer more dead than my daddy's thirty-ought-six
I think you underestimate the rednecks love of shooting. We don’t have a problem kicking out $3k on a hunting rifle. We just expect it to perform better than a $1k rifle. We hunt with any and every possible firearm there is. Some stay within the law others don’t. I’ve seen a farmer take out over 20 wild hogs in a couple of minutes using a ar10 with a thermal scope. If you ever happen to be around a redneck I wouldn’t mention daddy’s rifle except to compliment it. Talking bad about daddy’s 06 will likely get you the same as calling a rednecks wife or hound dogs honor into question.
All joking aside, average Joe Shooter wants the same as the rest of us. The best bang for his dollar. They spend what their budget allows. I can’t explain why I spent $3k on a rifle to a guy that works 2 months and doesn’t make that, and I wouldn’t try. I don’t do the flash and brag thing. Ive noticed people like that don’t have friends and nobody wants to be around them. Life’s easier when I use my time worrying about the things I want or need to do and let others worry about their wants and needs. Just saying