• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How to carry a heavy rifle

Bluegill68

Private
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2010
Friends,

I have a M700 build that weighs in at 12.5lbs. I like every thing about it except the way it carries. I plan to keep the rig as is, but need idea on how to best pack this thing in the field? Any ideas?

Thanks

Either an Eberlestock pack with a scabbard or get flush cups installed on the off bolt side of the stock and buy a TAB Biathalon sling.

I've carried 11-13 pound rifles in South Africa with a sling...but in the bush with sling removed........ over the right shoulder, holding the end of the barrel with my rt hand. Balances nicely and the flat side of the stock and scope distribute the weight.

For long distances a pack with a case or I have a rifle carrying attachment for my KIFARU pack that they make that REALLY carries a rifle quite nicely. Called the GUNBEARER.

Though I have only used it with a 7 pound rifle.

FN in MT

Last edited:
Gents,

Somehow saying; "Mkumba, my rifle!" doesn't cut it.

The African carry works well and is what I'd recommend when carrying a heavy rifle.

Wes

Here are two good options.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 64
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 66
I like the barrel plan. I use it a lot as i haven't always had a lighter weight hunting rifle. I used that method when it was dark in early am or if i needed to walk down a road to avoid some private land.
I do like the looks of that deal from Kifaru and hope to try one next year for hunting season. Hands free can be big here in the steep and all snowy.

Kifaru gunbearer is on my pack. I thought it was silly until I tried one. Now I can't say enough good things about it. I cannot imagine that anyone backpacking serious miles would ever use an Eberlestock pack again after trying a gunbearer.

I toted my DTA SRS while on safari in Africa earlier this year. When we had a long ways to go (went up a plateau for some plinking) I used a TAB sling with flush cups on the non-bolt side. I didn't use the Biathlon sling (which seems much nicer) just the plain jane regular TAB. While going through the bush, I didn't have room to have it over my shoulder with all the dodging, ducking, dipping, diving, and dodging I had to do to avoid the thorned satanic shrubbery they got down there. I just had to carry it with both hands but the TAB sling made it much much much easier.

If you don't have to avoid brush and you don't have to do quick shots, I'd suggest the TAB Biathlon based on my experience with TAB. If you need/want additional carrying capacity, something along the lines of Kifaru or Eberlestock oughta suit you well.

Wow, 12 comments and no degrading remarks. I'm kinda let down, I wanted a good chuckle. I did like British idea but I was expecting a skirt comment somewhere in here. Must be the holiday spirit, everyone's in a good mood.

I'd say you'd need a heavy rifle first...

When you get one, a heavy rifle that is, the above suggestions do work well. I just sling it, or bush carry. Mine with can is over 17lbs... Ill weigh it tomorrow and see...

Just messin with you man. ;)

Usually I'd say, put your purse down and use your man hands... But it's just better in person. ;)

There, now you almost had some smart ass remarks!! Maybe next time.. ;)

Do as the British did in India,…..get a coolie to carry it for you….

A "coolie" is actually what Americans called Chinese immigrants, its the equivalent to the N word, but since my wife doesn't read the 'hide, I guess it's ok... ;)

They were called thuggies or Punjabs to be disrespectful.

During OIF-1, one of our soldiers asked a British soldier if one of the "Raggie's" built the shack they used as a smoke area... The British guy almost beat his ass.. He thought he meant the Indian guys there... They respect the Indians alot.

I like the barrel plan. I use it a lot as i haven't always had a lighter weight hunting rifle. I used that method when it was dark in early am or if i needed to walk down a road to avoid some private land.
I do like the looks of that deal from Kifaru and hope to try one next year for hunting season. Hands free can be big here in the steep and all snowy.

The kifaru option works really well, especially if you want to get the gun on target quick out hunting. They also have a nice scabbard they just made that integrates into their bikini frame for center of back carry, with the gun wrapped up and well protected.

At Port or Shoulder Arms. I only use a sling on rifles over 16 lbs and a pack with rifles 20 to 30 lbs. Also depends on your ammo load. With 50 rounds of .338 Lapua or .408 you will need a pack.

My rifle has a folding stock and I find that if I have the barrel over my shoulder, the butt of the stock ends up resting on the back of my shoulder. Works really well and makes my 25lb rifle feel like...15 ;)

I have a DTA HTI .50BMG, 18.7lbs. stripped (closer to 27 or so when scoped, etc.) and it'll need a pack or drag bag or something for sure, but when out of the pack I was thinking maybe a SAW/240 sling since I have some laying around, or maybe a padded Vickers, both using the QD sockets, unless there's a better one to go with. With this thing, the sling is purely for carrying. So a durable padded QD sling would work best here IMO.

With a 20-25lb eberlestock pack all loaded up with what you need for the day its pretty comfy. You can cover some ground and still pull the rifle out with the pack on. I like how it protects the rifle too, don't have to worry about debris going in the muzzle, and easy to put in the truck, or pull off the pack and lay it on the ground.

Both my rifles are a tad over 17 lbs. and I can tell you from personal experience that TAB biathlon sling with flush cups is slicker than snot. AKA: it's a great sling for heavy rifles.

Reactions: Keiffer