• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How to choose! 6.5cm Load Development

The problem I have with OCW is in the instructions.

“Choose a powder and back away from the maximum charge 5-7 percent.”

I’ll use my example of 6.5 Creedmoor and H4350
Hornady 9th edition shows 40.9gr as a max load.

I know many people who run in the 43gr range but for arguments sake we’ll use the book maximum.

If we reduce that by 7% you are at 38gr.

“Load one test round with this charge. Add 2% and load another round with this charge. Add 2% and load another round with this charge.”

You will have 1 round at 38gr, 1 round at 38.76gr, and 1 round at 39.53gr.

“Add 0.7% to 1% to this charge and load 3 rounds.”

Even if you add 0.7% to this your starting load is 39.8gr.

In my load testing today my best node by far was the lowest at 39.0gr.
My next best node was 40.2gr barely making it into his window but the group size is nearly double that of my best node.

I have used his method in the past but felt like I wasn’t seeing the complete picture
I would rather waste a little more time and components and see the full picture.

You were correct that the OCW instructions were not right. The instructions have been revised. They should give correct results now.

Both of the shots that are marked "ME" are definitely mine to own. I knew it as soon as they broke. I'll be doing some more exploring for sure. Thanks for all the help guys. I'll follow up with some 140 ELD-M with H4350 in the near future hopefully (weather dependent).

I still want to try to get some more speed eventually but I'm getting closer to getting something that works.

Also, I just ordered a 21st Century Mandrel Die and some Mandrels along with Moly Dry Lube. I use this step on my 300wm and have had great luck with it.
@Sniper1*

Maybe I missed it but did you ever see pressure signs with the top load?

What mag are you using that has you capped @2.208 CBTO? It'd be cheaper to buy an Accurate mag then 1lb of new powder. This is assuming the Bergara action isn't the limiter? I have no experience with the Bergara's. If you cant go longer, try .020 shorter for a .100+ jump and see what happens. I've got a Steyr 6.5C with a CIP chamber that has 147's jumping a mile, but it shoots well.

It's a good move to use the 21st Century mandrel going forward. Should help with SD's

I'm not a fan of the Hornady sizing die's. Had 1 and sold it. They sized the base to small in my limited sample size of 1.

Below was my quick and dirty load work up recently done with 135 A-tip and RL16

My barrel is 25" PVA Rock Creek Button 8T (about 1100 on barrel)
Lapua sml primer brass. It gets annealed after each firing with a Mike's reloading bench flame annealer.
Redding type S FL with .289 bushing & expander removed. Shoulder bumped back .001 -.002
Dry Graphite lube. I run a 6mm VFD pellet saturated in the graphite through the neck instead of dipping the case.
21st Century .2625 mandrel
Fed 205 primer seated .003 below flush
Final load
RL16 - 44.2
135 A-tip loaded CBTO 2.205 = COAL 2.881. I like to always give COAL because ogive checkers can vary a lot depending on brand.
Jump to lands = .056

The starting jump & charges I picked after a lot of reading on here + modeling on Gordon's Reloading tool (Gordon's is free).
For this load I wasn't interested in finding a low node. My goal was 2900+ since this was for a match that went to 1900+y.
For me, having a defined goal and a time constraint keeps me from getting stuck in the quagmire of endless load development.
There was only enough time for 1 charge ladder followed by 1 jump ladder.
I shot 3 charges in PA at .050 jump 43.6, 43.9, & 44.2 and picked 44.2. Had the speed I was looking for with no pressure signs and shot a good 5 round group @100 with tight vertical.
I don't have pics of the first 2 charges just saved the one I picked 44.2
View attachment 8014970 View attachment 8014971

2 weeks later in MD same 44.2 charge, trying jumps CBTO 2.200 - 2.241
I got lucky on the first quick & dirty charge test. 2.200 & 2.205 CBTO shot the best @200y
I picked 2.205 as it seemed a little more in the middle of a forgiving zone. 2.886/2.210 shot a slightly better group &a 1 SD, but poi shifted and group opened @ 2.215

2.205/2.881 @200y with 44.2
View attachment 8014974View attachment 8014975

It should go without saying things don't always work out this well.

Proves you can have Rainbows & Unicorns without a 6GT..............................and then I screwed myself, just didn't know it yet.
This was all worked up under a pretty tight time crunch. The above 200y shot in the rain just to settle on load length for a match a few days latter.
I went home and loaded 150 of those in brass I already had prepped from a month or so prior.

Get to the match on Friday & head over to the 100y berm, attach magneto expecting 2914ish with low SD.
Nope WTF, now I've got 2965 - 2990 & SD's are shit. Group is also shit @ 1 -1/2" Well fuck me!
Looking for pressure signs as I put these in the case & a fucking light bulb goes off. Fucking dumb ass, that prepped brass had cci #41's in it.
There it was, a fucking inadvertent primer change screwed my load. I know the 41's are hot, but damn +50 - 70fps is surprising.
Luckily I had about 40 rounds left of 130 berger @2950 that I had dope for to 1000. POI difference was .3 higher @100 for the 135's
It was a PITA, but I shot the now shitty 135 load for everything under 800 & used the 130 Bergers for the long stuff. Had a mix stacked in the mag for a few stages requiring the poi adjustment mid stage.

Hey it was fun and lesson learned.

Nice shooting and groups… what barrel length are you shooting these out of? Im too lazy to go back and search for it. Lol