• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How to Choose Scope Mount for AR10

daved

Minuteman
Mar 28, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
I recently purchased a JP LRP-09 and am in the process of selecting a mount for the ATACR 4-16 scope I plan to use on it. My past experience with mounts and rings has been exclusively with bolt action rifles, and I've realized that little of that experience seems to translate to selecting a mount for the AR platform. Most mounts for the AR are cantilevered, some are not; most seem to be 0 MOA, some are 20-25; some are QD, most fixed; heights need to be chosen in the context of a non-adjustable cheek rest so not solely dependent on barrel clearance. So I'm looking for suggestions for a mount that would be suitable for my use:

Prone shooting only
Mount will be used only for scope - no red dot, NV or other accessories
QD would be optimal as I would like to also use the scope on my AR15
Stock is an UBR so mount needs to be correct height for comfortable cheek weld

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated---

Thanks,

Dave

I highly recommend Spuhr. I love their mounts. Rock solid and bullet proof. They make a QD model now, though I have never used one. But, their traditional mounts are easily swap-able with a torque wrench.

Reactions: Tono
I recently purchased a JP LRP-09 and am in the process of selecting a mount for the ATACR 4-16 scope I plan to use on it. My past experience with mounts and rings has been exclusively with bolt action rifles, and I've realized that little of that experience seems to translate to selecting a mount for the AR platform. Most mounts for the AR are cantilevered, some are not; most seem to be 0 MOA, some are 20-25; some are QD, most fixed; heights need to be chosen in the context of a non-adjustable cheek rest so not solely dependent on barrel clearance. So I'm looking for suggestions for a mount that would be suitable for my use:

Prone shooting only

Thanks,

Dave

I recently purchased a Bobro 20MOA 34mm QD Mount for my large frame...It’s cantilevered, has a sweet, fast QD mechanism and looks great on the rifle.

I’ve used several top tier mounts over the years and this one is rapidly becoming my favorite. Would be a solid choice for your ATACR, IMO.

If you have the rifle and scope I would lay prone and get into position then have a couple simple spacers you can use to set the scope on the rail. Once you figure out height and eye relief then choose a mount

Ones mentioned above are good. I have 2 ADM ad-recons. Prefer the non cantilever.

once you get it all set up on your AR-10, leveled, eye relief perfected with whatever cantilever length you ended up with, when you swap it onto your AR-15, you might have to move the scope forward or backwards in the mount to now get the right eye relief on the AR-15. the AR-10 has a longer flat-top pic rail.

just something to consider. might be better off with separate optics for each.

ETA: Midwest Industries also has some QD scope mounts. I like their QD mechanism a lot, bought a couple of their mounts for my Aimpoint CompM4's, T1-type optics, well made quality piece. Worth considering if they have the size you want. But, that's JMHO.

Last edited:
I have a Knights SR-25 E2 PR. I first went with a Spuhr 4603B which is not cantilevered and a 6 MIL/20.6 MOA fixed mount. I did a write up here giving the reason why I chose that one and some pictures. https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/knights-armament-sr-25-e2-pr.6910059

I found some new information and switched to the Spuhr 4616 which is cantilevered and a 6 MIL/20.6 MOA fixed mount. I did a write up here giving the reason why I chose that one and some pictures. https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...-pr-updated-spuhr-mount.6914353/#post-7386078

I went with 6 MIL/20.6 MOA so I would not be at the extremes of my scope turret when going long. I chose a fixed mount because the scope would be dedicated to this rifle. The cantilevered mount worked better for me.

I have recently added a Leupold Delta Pro to the Spuhr.
P1010002.JPG

Reactions: Classyredneck00

Prone shooting only

Thanks,

Dave
I would suggest the LT158. It's currently on my rifle with the same scope you spec'd out. It's a cantilevered QD with 10MOA of elevation built in. On my rifle Larue Predatobr 18" .308. Sighted in I can dial over 14MILS of elevation with the scope you have.

Another vote for Larue. Any of those previously mentioned will serve your needs as well, but I have always found Larue mounts to be a pretty damn good quality standard in optic mounts for AR's. I suppose the dillo dust and other swag helps to sweeten the pot a bit as well. I like Aero for some light weight cantilever mounts, but if you're running an ATACR on a JP with UBR, the weight savings isn't so much a concern and you owe it to that optic to give it a deserving mount.

Thanks for all the comments. Based on them I've decided to go with:

Cantilever - I may not need it for the large frame since I'll probably get a dedicated mount for my small frame AR but seems like no downside to having it
20 MOA - I normally shoot my bolt guns to 900+ meters so that would be most appropriate for the 6.5CM LRP
1.5" height - this seems about the height I use on my bolt guns and if a little high, some thin sorbothane padding should allow some adjustment.
QD - again maybe overkill but not a much more money for the additional flexibility.
Brand - went with the Spuhr. I'm sure all of the recommended mounts would do the job well but Spuhr has a few features like easier access to turrets and the level, plus its great rep.

Thanks again for all the assistance - I'll bookmark this thread so I can refer to it when I get in the market for an AR15 mount ---

Dave

You used rings on an AR? Why? Most AR’s are flat 0 MOA rails, why would you not want at least a 20 MOA mount?

Because I swapped the setup off my bolt gun and the razor had enough elevation usage that I didn't need a 20moa mount.
The PST I never shot it past 700 when it was on the ar