• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How to clean sooty ar-10 brass? Running suppressed

BigBlastin300win

Private
Minuteman
May 30, 2013
Boise, ID
So i usually dry tumble and yes I know I need a wet tumbler but try to work with what I have. Running a suppressed ar10 with an adjustable gas block. Im not sure if it is the powder (imr4064) or just the blow back from the can. Right now I have been wiping the carbon off the brass with a paper towel and alcohol. It gets it pretty clean but wondering if someone has another idea. I've heard putting a half cup of nushine in the media and letting it tumble.

Also should i try tumbling before decapping and resizing?

A wet tumbler will make your brass look brand new if you so desire. I shoot suppressed and 1 hour in a wet tumblers is worth about 3-4 hours in dry media tumbler. A wet tumbler was one of the best things I purchased, I can’t believe I fought off doing it for so long...

ETA if you’re set on dry tumbling I added about a teaspoon of mineral spirits and a squirt or two of nufinish to my media and it seemed to help get rid of the carbon.

I dry tumble in “lizard litter” from PetCo in a harbor freight vibratory tumbler. Always before sizing and decapping. But, the lizard litter is fine enough that it doesn’t get stuck in flash holes like standard crushed walnut has a tendency to do. Just throw it in and let it run overnight. Generally comes out sparkly.

Reactions: BigBlastin300win
So i usually dry tumble and yes I know I need a wet tumbler but try to work with what I have. Running a suppressed ar10 with an adjustable gas block. Im not sure if it is the powder (imr4064) or just the blow back from the can. Right now I have been wiping the carbon off the brass with a paper towel and alcohol. It gets it pretty clean but wondering if someone has another idea. I've heard putting a half cup of nushine in the media and letting it tumble.

Thumlers Tumbler

Brass from my MK11 shot supressed.

before
82909EC6-2A91-4710-91BE-7937E4497F76.jpeg
After
B5B41BB2-DAF3-47ED-AA6F-D44E404EA5DF.jpeg

All brass looks like the “after” with appx 2-3 hours time in the tumbler.

Last edited:

....having "clean brass" run thru your dies will prolong their life span...

Nufinish / mineral spirits / walnut lizard bedding and a used dryer sheet. Mix the wax and spirits in a condiment squirt bottle first. 4 full round the bin squirts and let it mix well then add brass.
Passes through the flash hole.

Clean shine dry gtg.

Last edited:
Well thank you all for the top notch brass cleaning advice. Looks like a rotary or wet tumbler will be in store down the road. First I am going to try the nufinish and the mineral spirits. Looks like you guys got some super clean brass cant wait to try it out.

How often do you have to replace the media? I think I am going to try this today.
Actually my media is over 10 yrs old. Granted I probably only clean brass like twice a year or so. Pretty much do it all at once with a high volume Dillon vibratory tumbler. So I really don't know the answer. It still cleans so I keep using it. In the big Dillon I add like 2 ounces (never measured) while the brass and media are rolling around.

Reactions: BigBlastin300win
Eventually the wallnut media will turn kinda black and not shine up the brass but that is over several thousand rounds for me.

I actually think it looks better after a few runs to take the new off.

A wet tumber and dedicated decapping die were the two best things I ever bought for my reloading setup.

the RCBS heavy duty decapping die is great because of the way the decapping pin is sprung and slightly floating, so you run less risk of damaging the decapping pin, and in the event you do it's a real easy replacement of just the tip section.

my process for cleaning dirty brass from supressed running generally goes:

decap > wet tumble > lube/size (trim if needed) > ultrasonic clean > load

it reduces the amount of gunk that builds up in your dies and increases the lifespan, so you need to clean them less, and makes it much easier to determine if brass is still in good condition prior to use.

When you "wet" tumble you using sonic or an actual tumbler?
actual tumbler, stainless steel pins and brass cleaning solution. then lube with hornady one-shot prior to sizing (decap done before tumbling), and after sizing, clean in the ultrasonic.

There are other benefits to wet tumbling. Your food will taste better. Your wife will be prettier. Your dog will mind you. Quit resisting.

There are other benefits to wet tumbling. Your food will taste better. Your wife will be prettier. Your dog will mind you. Quit resisting.
Sounds like a country song when you play it backwards……just saying!!
I appreciate the info. Just been doing what I do for years. Basic pistol, rifle, machine gun stuff so precision loading is completely different. Everything matters……I’ll give it a go!!
Thanks guys