• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How to defend yourself in CA?

Warfighter1

Private
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2012
Oregon
I have 4 kids and my wife wants to go to see her parents for a week in cali. Can someone from cali please tell me how to defend myself legally with maximum rapid lethal force? I wonder if the 2012 loonies will be out and how I'm supposed to defend myself. Is

Re: How to defend yourself in CA?

You can't, not in California. No castle laws, or hold your ground.
If the situation calls for it protect your family answer later.

Bear spray

Knives. Though in LA County, there is a little known ordnance limiting blade length to 3". Still, a couple of those is way better than nothing.

I just spoke to my brother in Nor-Cal last night. We had to agree that the current climate there views a simple Ruger Mini 14, basic wood stock, 5 round mag as a simple '22'. A back up 30 round mag works for those 'aw SHIT' moments. His original question to me was if the rifle in question would be able to handle 5.56 NATO rounds vs basic .223 stuff. Yes, I also initially tried to talk him into the AR variant, but the entire concept is to keep a gun that appears to be nothing more than a standard .22 vs a 'black tactical' rifle. He was also pretty much set on the 5.56 over the 7.62x39 as well, holding that some future enemy may be using 5.56 and not 7.62x39 so scavenging rounds that work would be easier

Move out of the state to your rights are not taken away!

I second bear spray. Legal, effective, easily obtained, inexpensive, and a hell of a lot less hassle if you have to use it vs a firearm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: triplecelectric</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
</div></div>

For a very discrete & good California Urban carry defense piece . A Walking Stick or Cane is a lethal weapon in the right hands .

I hear Mr. Peanut is feared on the mean streets of San Francisco .
images.jpg

Where at in Cali? Are you talking about in a vehicle or walking around the mall or Disneyland?
Open carry is out. CCW is out. Long Guns in your vehicle is about all you got.
You can have a long gun in your vehicle as long as it is unloaded. Rifles and shotguns do not have to be in a case or locked up. You can have loaded magazines as well.
AR next to the drivers seat and a loaded mag on the console. (as long as the AR is Cal-legal)
My favorite is a Coach SxS shotgun next to the seat with the action broke open. 2 shells in there and with the action open, you can easily pull them out if you get pulled over. Trying to unload a rifle or pump shotgun would draw a bit of attention if you got pulled over.
Handguns have to be unloaded and in a locked case in a vehicle. Not much use there.

Driving or flying?

Flying really limits you to sharp stabby things, saps, spray, and improvised.

Driving? Why would the value of what you need to protect change simply b/c you are in CA? Carry in an NPE simply reinforces the twin concepts of 'mind your Ps and Qs', and it better really be worth it.

Good luck

Put a couple cue balls in a sock and tie a knot in the top! Can be a real 'brain basher'!!

What part of California are we talking? Even though Cali guns laws are restrictive there are certainly differing opinions depending where you live. In LA or SF you pretty much have to take your lumps, but get somewhere like Paso Robles and things become a bit more sane.

This guy is just visiting and two posters are telling him to move out of Cali. Please read the OP.