• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing How to disarm safety device in M&P 40

Strangedays

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Feb 27, 2009
    Tacoma Washington
    I have a Smith and Wesson M&P with the California safety device on it where it won’t fire without a magazine in the handgun. Does anyone know how to disarm this feature or a gun smith that can fix this problem? Thanks for any information.

Strangedays

Re: How to disarm safety device in M&P 40

yeah sell it an buy a glock !!....Sorry couldnt resist
    wink.gif
    good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghogs Nightmare</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yeah sell it an buy a glock !!....Sorry couldnt resist
    wink.gif
    good luck </div></div>
    Tempting to buy a gun with a plastic guide rod and skip out to a cheap behind the times handgun but I got it fixed and it works great thanks but I think I will pass on your advice.

i just dont get what the big deal everyone has with the magazine saftey. i know it doesnt help anything but what does it hurt?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quicky06</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i just dont get what the big deal everyone has with the magazine saftey. i know it doesnt help anything but what does it hurt? </div></div>
    Shoot a comp and when your gun won't hammer forward its nice not to have to deal with it.

Hey you go:

http://www.burwellgunsmithing.com/M&P2.htm

(p.s. - If I were you...I'd copy and paste it into a Word doc or similar program and DO NOT use the website version. I think I have permanently damaged my retinas with the #@$%^*% red background the Burwell uses on his site!!)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey you go:

http://www.burwellgunsmithing.com/M&P2.htm

(p.s. - If I were you...I'd copy and paste it into a Word doc or similar program and DO NOT use the website version. I think I have permanently damaged my retinas with the #@$%^*% red background the Burwell uses on his site!!) </div></div>
    I already got it fixed, another person sent me the same link. Works great now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: juliomorris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why buy a Glock 40 all you will get is a sore hand. Ka-Boom. Buy an M&P you will be happier. </div></div>

My hands nor anybody else I know who shoots Glock 40's have these problems you speak of, maybe your a sissy and have Bad Karma!

I have had it happen and seen it happen. I was just kidding with the Glock lovers anyway. I have only owned 2 and didn't really like either one because of the grip angle. I prefer 1911's or the M&P.

I have owned plenty of Glocks and when the other guns came out and Glock sat back while everyone else built a better gun they thought theirs was the shit, well now its not my shit becouse I sold all of them and switched over to the XDs and M&Ps. I will never buy another Glock again.

Similar to the AK rifle in reliability the Glock design has not changed much because it works very well.

Simple rugged and it works even with a plastic guide rod....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cal50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Similar to the AK rifle in reliability the Glock design has not changed much because it works very well.

Simple rugged and it works even with a plastic guide rod....

</div></div>
    No it does not work with the plastic guide rod. I had two break on a 9mm and a 10mm all which had to be switched out to lone wolf parts which they said happens all the time.

The gun will continue to function with a broken guide rod. There are numerous tests and at least one YouTube video where the firearms are used to the point of guide rod failure but the gun will continue to function fine. For the record, I've never seen a guide rod fail in competition or otherwise. Are you chewing on your guide rods before installation?

Can't spend a few extra bucks for a metal one from the get go? If it bothers you that much buy it right away and problem solved.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gallonoffuel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The gun will continue to function with a broken guide rod. There are numerous tests and at least one YouTube video where the firearms are used to the point of guide rod failure but the gun will continue to function fine. For the record, I've never seen a guide rod fail in competition or otherwise. Are you chewing on your guide rods before installation? </div></div>
    I know chewing on them is a bad habit but I can't stop, I like the taste of plastic. LOL