• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How to get a FFL?

Mnhunter3982

Private
Minuteman
May 22, 2013
Redwood Falls, Mn
I know this is not where it belongs but I don't see a "Random" or "laws" page.

I am from MN and I want an FFL. I see in the paperwork says something like

"Do you intend to make a profit? ___Yes ___No (if no, do not complete form)

I want this for my own use, so I do not intend to make a profit. But how does that work?
If I only want a FFL to make a profit, is that the only circumstance to get a FFL?

I hear that Minnesotan's that have a FFL can own a suppressor. Is that for any use I desire, or for "Dealer Demos" for the lack of a better term. I would like to use it for target, competition, hunting, ect.

If anyone has links or advice let me know.

Back about 18 years ago, when I got my FFL (since given up), the ATF would only issue a class 01 FFL to a person for the purpose of "engaging in the business of firearms sales, repairs, etc" (that's not an exact quote). The 01 FFL is not for collectors, etc, as far as the ATF is concerned.

I don't know about MN law, but California law mimics ATF on that point; if you get an FFL (and the required state bullshit CA requires), it's to engage in business, and you'll be held to the paperwork for firearms businesses.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but I hope this helps.
Paul F.

It is against federal law to get an FFL to further your own collection. The only allowable reason to get an ffl is for profit. Even a type 07 doing r&d is expected to try and make a profit off his work.

Would it be possible to attain an FFL, but only deal in transfers? There are a few FFL holders I know of who mostly deal in transfers, and the occasional sale online. One in perticular in Houston who has a store front just for transfers, and all sales are made on Gunbroker.

-David

Last edited:
Tell your dad to go to ffl123.com and that will give him all the info needed. Yes you need a business license and you need to sell a number of firearms each year.

AFAIK you need a business address, that is a location that is zoned for business. And posted hours, so the ATF can come inspect you.

The last thing I would do if I wanted to become a dealer is ask people in a forum how to become a dealer. That's just begging for prison time.

AFAIK you need a business address, that is a location that is zoned for business. And posted hours, so the ATF can come inspect you.

No business address is needed. A friend of mine runs his company out of his house. The downfall of this is that the ATF can go through all his shit anytime they want too.

I'm interested in the same myself. Want to do it part time and do gunsmithing because I enjoy it. I already have people asking me to do stuff so I figured I should probably get licensed.

From what I understand you need to make sure you have the proper zoning from your local governments first. If you are ok there then you can proceed. The ATF does require it to be for profit. If you want an FFL for personal use look at the FFL 03 - Curios and relics. That won't let you get suppressors but its a start.

Just understand they want it to be a business. That means you should have a business tax ID, local zoning approval, and I think maybe even a security system, etc. There are lots of rules and regs with running it out of your house but its not impossible. Many people have done it. If you are prepared to follow all of those rules and take it seriously then I say go for it but it might be harder than you think. Check out the ATF website as they cover almost everything there. Do a search for "FFL interview" to know what to expect. Just remember its a big responsibility and if you cock it up bad enough you might not get to play with guns anymore and I don't think any of us want that to happen. Good luck

You may want to stop and consider zoning, development and business license fee's. I am about to send off the ffl application on Monday and can say that there was more to the process then I would have thought... don't apply unless its a C&R or for a business... to boost your own collecting is a waste of time, money and someone will call you out.

My .02 cents

Yes you need a business address, even if its a home business, but you better believe the inspector is going to ask for all paperwork showing you meet state and local laws or your 30 day countdown to correct all deficiencies begins.

Ya, sure you did

Your suspicions were correct

Maybe your "dad" should call the nearest ATF field office then.

I sure don't know what your problem is but if you have some sort of problem, you don't have to read this thread.

I'm not trying to be rude but I fell like you are personally attacking me.
I thought that people would like to see youth take an interest in the firearms industry.