• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing How to get a start in smithing.

Doyputasos

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2012
Southern California
I'm a teacher and have loads of time in the summer to do some learning. There is only one smith in my area and he is getting old. I love to shoot and I love to play in the shop. All this together makes me think I want to look into learning the trade, specializing in rifles. Anyone got any recommendations on a good way to get started?

Thanks

Re: How to get a start in smithing.

A background in machine shop is a great start.

You can get experience buying junker rifles at the pawn shop and fixing them. They are perfect practice for repair and refinish.

1. start taking machine shop courses at the local community college
2. start shooting competitively

You can't learn the craft without some basic training and you can't learn the level of craftsmanship required without being out with the shooters. Pick a shooting sport that requires a high level accuracy. Details learned over a lifetime of shooting and building rifles matter in the end. Most are willing to share their knowledge.

I started shooting (a lot) then reloading, busted ejector. went to local smith to have it fixed. Started chatting with him at shop about wanting to learn more on how they work. went and hung out at shop a few times (6 weeks no pay) and got my hands dirty. He offered me a part time job (with pay). we do mainly repairs (on anything) bluing, re-bluing, refinishing and fitting stocks refinishing stocks. We do a tone of muzzle brakes. We haven't got into custom stuff yet in the rifles but do pistols stuff.The guy I work for has been doing it for 40yrs and when he retires I hope I'm able to buy the business and clients and keep on rolling with it.

Go to your local smith and see if he will give you a part time job or work for free if it will help him keep you around. Its a good start.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwsenoj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm a teacher and have loads of time in the summer to do some learning. There is only one smith in my area and he is getting old. I love to shoot and I love to play in the shop. All this together makes me think I want to look into learning the trade, specializing in rifles. Anyone got any recommendations on a good way to get started?

Thanks </div></div>

Edit...not much to add

may consider speaking with that old gunsmith. See if he'll let you apprentice with him. You'll have to have a non-compete, or possibly agree to work directly with him for a couple years.

Find something that you want to do that he doesn't do...or doesn't like to do.

Consider getting very good at TIG welding, specialty coatings/refinishing.

Appreciate the replies all. I may try to get in with the old timer AND take some machining classes during summer break.

Just get your foot in the door with someone. I spent basically the first yr doing full cleans. I took so many rifle/pistols/muzzle loaders apart and cleaned every little pin and screw and plunger it wasn't funny. the first yr I cleaned 387 guns. I cleaned so many 742 Remington I can't do them in my sleep or with my eyes closed. I thought I was getting the crap work but now I see it has help me a ton on all weapons.

I was friendly with the owner of my LGS, stopped in there a couple of months ago to see if he'd let me work with his smith for free- just want to learn...

Said it sounded great to him, but by the time I slowed down enough to make it happen last month, he'd gotten busted by BATF and shut down. Allegedly, he was doing things other than selling guns legally.

But to the point- I'd approach the old-timer you mentioned. He'd probably want the help, and if he's got no one to take over his business, he might be interested in selling (of course, you'd have to decide if it's worth buying)...

Aside from "goodwill", which is the value of his customer base, he's got all the equipment and supplies- which you don't.

Might make sense, certainly worth looking into IMO.

If you're serious (not just wanting to mess around on the side), I would recommend first going to a tech school/trade school for a year and getting training in machine tool technology (to be rated as a machinist/tool-die maker); then seek further training in gunsmithing, then find a large shop that will either employ you or let you apprentice. I was trained as a machinist after having attended gunsmithing school -- would have been most useful to do it the other way around.

What I have learned is this: if you're a fast learner/independent learner, can learn quickly from books and have some mechanical aptitude, and can afford lots of tools and machinery and have access to lots of guns, you will do well. Most folks don't have a lathe/mill sitting around, nor scores and scores of different types of guns to learn to work on, hence, gunsmithing schools.

I have been fixing guns for thirty years with little more than a drill a file and a grinder a couple years ago I started taking it to the next level got a mini 7x10 lathe $400 took a lathe and milling night class at the university last year got a good deal on a 13x40 southbend lathe and a 2horsepower mill and now's im threading making brakes and will be chambering my first barrel this month I have an old 30-06 remington 721 and picked up a magnum 700 bolt im making a 300h&h chamber reamer and punching it out .id recomend a harbour freight mini lathe take a lathe class and jump in with both feet and and keep your tolerences tight keep in mind im getting older and dont have allot of money and lots of extra time to practice practice practice and learn the machine