• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How to get through to Sharp Shooters Supply

Re: How to get through to Sharp Shooters Supply

I sent SSS two different emails with questions so that I could order the correct items and they never (ever) replied. I sent an email with order on the ssubject line and they called me the next morning to get my CC info. I will only buy from them what I cannot buy elsewhere even though they offer nice products and services.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i had no problem with 30 days turn around on my time & tune. i didnt pay in advance, i just mailed my receiver. lisa called when it was done and i gave her my CC# and i was done. i also picked up a single shot adapter </div></div>

Wish I could say the same. I went on the waiting list in Feb for "early May". My action was sent out on May 3rd, they received it on the 6th. I was told 3-4 weeks, still haven't received it back yet. Hardly the 3-4 weeks I was told.

ETA, I've been patient thus far, but have to be honest my patience are wearing thin at this point.

MAN ! I hate to say it but i was just about to send them my action as well to get everything done to it. I too have tried to get a hold of them for a week, and nothing. I guess i gotta look some where else to get my savage worked on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigDKC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i had no problem with 30 days turn around on my time & tune. i didnt pay in advance, i just mailed my receiver. lisa called when it was done and i gave her my CC# and i was done. i also picked up a single shot adapter </div></div>

Wish I could say the same. I went on the waiting list in Feb for "early May". My action was sent out on May 3rd, they received it on the 6th. I was told 3-4 weeks, still haven't received it back yet. Hardly the 3-4 weeks I was told.

ETA, I've been patient thus far, but have to be honest my patience are wearing thin at this point. </div></div>

all the T&Ts are done from what Lisa told me. mine was at the back of the line for a late may appointment. i cant say that no one else does what he does to them, cause i really dont know what he does to them, lol. but do what we have suggested. do what i did. i sent a message with "i need a T&T" in the subject line, i was told when to expect to mail it in, i sent another at that time and was given an ID number to put on the box. i mailed it in and required signature for acceptance. about 30 days later, Lisa called, i gave payment, its coming back next tuesday.

big DCK, i know he does stuff in groups. they may have waited to get enough receivers to do them in a batch. i cant say. they also ran 9 round mags in this same time frame. send lisa an email with "IS MY RECEIVER DONE YET?" in the subject line. honestly, i have always gotten a reply with in a day when i email her. i woulnt be suprised if yours went out when mine did. look for it next tuesday, if not, email like i suggested

According to Lisa, mine was number 18 in the batch that just went through, apparently the same batch as yours, as I was also told at one point that Fred was working on the mags.

I have had pretty decent contact via email with Lisa, usually a response in a day or two at the most of me checking status. I have been told "should be this week" a couple of times now on when it would be shipped back to me. My card was charged last week for payment, hopefully your right, hopefully it will show up this week. But once again, quite a bit longer then the 3-4 weeks I was initially told. I'm trying not to get too bent about it, just a bummer because I was ok with not having the rifle all of May. In fact I planned it that way since I knew I had no chance of getting out with it due to my schedule. BUT I did miss a couple of really great opportunities to take it out in June. And at this point it just feels like it's really dragging on. I have no doubt that the quality of work will be top notch! I would just rather they were a bit more up front with the customers in regards to time frames.

When I order something I just ask Lisa to call me when she is free in an email and I get a call back within 10 or 15 minutes

i got my receiver to day via UPS. ill play with it and let you know. i had already polished a few friction spots and added a bolt lift that i removed before sending, and its been 37 days so its hard to say what its like compared to stock or even to the mods i did myself. i cant tell what all was done, but i can tell the bolt face was trued, the receiver face was trued, the receiver locking lugs (if thats what they are called?) were or are ramped. never looked before to see if they were like that, so i cant say, but it looks like fresh work on them as well as the face of the lugs. i think i read that he does trigger work in some way, something with timing. but really i cant say what has been done. i will look for the stuff i read about what is done.

I ordered a complete rifle, 6BR brux barrel, long range benchrest thumbhole stock, finished and clear-coated, action and barrel polished, dual port action time and trued, Ken Farrel 20 moa base with Burris Signature rings for Nightforce 12-42x56 benchrest, action bedded, barrel installed and headspaced and paid in full on 2/12/2010. Sent my other dual port target action to be T&T'd and they received it 4/26/2010. I called about 2 weeks ago and was told that items would ship that week. Still no word, so don't know if it shipped and lost in the mail or what. Was told everything was in stock except for the stock when I ordered. She thought everything would be completed by the end of April, hence the only reason, I sent my action in at that time, so that they would ship together. So if you order something, multiply the given time frame by 2 or 3 or more.

I called them the last of April to have my action worked, was told i would get a call the last of May. Still waiting. I know from all the posts Fred is good at what he does, is there any other smiths around who do Savage actions? MM PM me if you want.

mm, thats the one thing. i was told the same thing. i didnt get the call so i called them and they gave me the number. i waited til third week in may, was told id get a call, but emailed them, got a number to put on the box and mailed it next day. send and email, put something like "im on the list for a T&T" and that will get a call or reply. i know, but thats the way it seems to work best. they are busy, send it in, you will be happy with it. but mine was 37 days, i was ok with that or 60 if thats what it would have taken. thats just me

AXEMAN. got hold of SSS today, just what you said. Got # and will send it in tomorrow. MM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is there any other smiths around who do Savage actions? </div></div>

There are four or five right here on SH with stellar reps for quality AND customer service who work on Savage. StrictlyRUM and wnroscoe are just two who come to mind right off the bat. With good guys like these, you don't have to be treated like a little bitch to get top shelf quality work done.

just curious, what services do they offer for savage based rifles? is there anyone else that does the time & tune of the actions? i can do everything else really. i have so far. one of the savage sites does bedding for $65 and thats about what the devcon costs. i know kevin at stockade does some action work. anyone else?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just curious, what services do they offer for savage based rifles? is there anyone else that does the time & tune of the actions? i can do everything else really. i have so far. one of the savage sites does bedding for $65 and thats about what the devcon costs. i know kevin at stockade does some action work. anyone else?</div></div>

Jason (strictlyRUM) does the full boat on Savages, and makes a few custom parts, as well. I've seen the results of his work locally via some of the guys here. Top notch. He's doing my custom build this Fall based on the 10FCP action.

As an update I got my barreled action delivered back to me today. 67 days round trip. 10 weeks total, 6 weeks longer then I was originally quoted. And I have an issue.
frown.gif
I will refrain from posting about it until I have a chance to talk with them about it, or figure out a solution.

My 300WM just came in yesterday exactly as quoted. The action is smooth as glass and the 27" no taper barrel with muzzle brake looks like Michaelangelo did it himself. Work done was exactly as quoted and expected, time frame was exactly as quoted, down to the day. I had a T&T (with a bent action) and install barrel. They did the Douglas barrel with their muzzle brake and it is absolutely seamless. All said, I have not shot it yet but will next week and will report in my own thread about the accuracy, but the work, response from Lisa, and timeliness is exactly what was asked for, if not better.
DSCN1974.jpg

Finally got my action back today. Mailed it 4/19/10 and was received 4/26/10. No word on complete rifle build. Action was sent for T&T. I had installed a lift kit and polished everything before hand. It was smoother when it was sent in. It was put together pretty dry, so maybe a little light lube will help. Only thing I can see that was done was bolt face has had a little taken off and the ejector tip is ground but other than that, the barrel nut, receiver face and recoil lug look untouched. Maybe they were true? First impressions are I wouldn't spend $143 again.

they did a few more things id hope. if i get off my ass i can take pics. they told me not to bother sending in the nut or lug as they didnt do anything with those parts, i was suprised.

the bolt face and lugs front & rear were trued. there is an edge on the bolt lugs that was chamfered. it looks like the ramp inside was worked on where the lugs engage and all the internal receiver mating surfaces where the bolt locks up are now true. my ejector was rounded and they didnt touch that on my bolt. mine was $125 was your extra for shipping?

The told me to send the nut and lug because they might need to be trued at least inspected for trueness. Mounted and heaspaced barrel and went and shot this morning. Something is galling. I'm going to have to completely dis-assemble the bolt to see whats going on. Bolt is leaving 1/4" shiney spot centered on each case. Doesn't look like the lugs on mine were touched. They did move the wave washer from behind to in between the bolt head pieces. Bolt lift right now, is about 8 times what it was before I sent it in.

I had my headspace just a touch too tight and was just barely dragging on go-gauge, wouldn't start to close on .002 shim on back of go-gauge. So I backed the barrel off to about .0015 headspace. I disassembled the bolt and lightly lubed it as it had been put together dry. The cocking sleeve had some bright shiny spots that look like it was the source of the galling. But the bolt assembly screw was also coming loose and the bolt handle was sloppy and torqueing to the side. The lube, tightening the BAS and headspace increase got the bolt smoothness back to where it was when I sent it in. The only place any machine work was done on my complete action was the bolt face and behind the bolt head. Behind the bolt head was machined to about half the diameter of the bolt and I assume they turned down a chamfer or just made it flat. The bolt face looks like it was finished with about a 80 grit stone with the ejector in place. The first 40 rounds left bright shiny spots about 1/4 diameter on all Lapua brass centered around the firing pin. Now the bolt face has brass imbedded in that area and its finally quit scratching the cases as bad. Maybe Lapua 6mmBR brass case heads weren't flat???? They moved the wave washer from behind the two bolt halves to between them. Not real sure this accomplished anything. You still have to push in and compress the wave washer to get the bolt to engage the lugs so that it will close. Cocking effort after firing is the same as before I sent it in. So it cost $19.38 for shipping to with delivery confirmation, $125 for T&T and $18 return shipping or $162.39 for no discernable improvement in smoothness compared to the polishing I had already done and the ball bearing in a .38 special case head I had done prior.

Just a heads up for those waiting on the 9 round DBM's.

They just replied to my email. (I Ordered mine May 21'st and was told 2 week backorder)

"Our last production run covered orders through the 4th on May.

Yours is on backorder.
We have received delivery of materials but will have to work the next production run into the schedule.
I think Fred is attempting to get it in the schedule mid Sept."

It will probably be 4 months before it hits my door. The longest I have ever waited for $85, yet here I wait.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xr650rRider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had my headspace just a touch too tight and was just barely dragging on go-gauge, wouldn't start to close on .002 shim on back of go-gauge. So I backed the barrel off to about .0015 headspace. I disassembled the bolt and lightly lubed it as it had been put together dry. The cocking sleeve had some bright shiny spots that look like it was the source of the galling. But the bolt assembly screw was also coming loose and the bolt handle was sloppy and torqueing to the side. The lube, tightening the BAS and headspace increase got the bolt smoothness back to where it was when I sent it in. The only place any machine work was done on my complete action was the bolt face and behind the bolt head. Behind the bolt head was machined to about half the diameter of the bolt and I assume they turned down a chamfer or just made it flat. The bolt face looks like it was finished with about a 80 grit stone with the ejector in place. The first 40 rounds left bright shiny spots about 1/4 diameter on all Lapua brass centered around the firing pin. Now the bolt face has brass imbedded in that area and its finally quit scratching the cases as bad. Maybe Lapua 6mmBR brass case heads weren't flat???? They moved the wave washer from behind the two bolt halves to between them. Not real sure this accomplished anything. You still have to push in and compress the wave washer to get the bolt to engage the lugs so that it will close. Cocking effort after firing is the same as before I sent it in. So it cost $19.38 for shipping to with delivery confirmation, $125 for T&T and $18 return shipping or $162.39 for no discernable improvement in smoothness compared to the polishing I had already done and the ball bearing in a .38 special case head I had done prior. </div></div>

wow. thats crazy. first i had heard about the nut and lug truing so i asked about sending them in and was told they didnt need them and didnt do anything to them for a T&T. my bolt face wasnt nice at all as i was testing loads and think i got a hot one. it kinda scored the face of the bolt. well when it came back, it was smooth and clean, no machine marks. nothing like you describe. my receiver had the face cleaned up. looking in the front, the ramps were clean and looked machined. i cant say i looked at them before or can compare what they look like now to what they looked like before, but they look freshly machined. the lugs or bolt head is in two parts. the fixed non rotating part had two rear edges worked. just a little metal removed. holding the bolt facing away, its the top rear left edge and bottom rear right edge (opposite) that were worked. the ramp that the cocking pin piece rides on was touched. it was a knife edge, now it looks flat.

you know, when you send in your action & bolt and it takes a month or longer to get it back, its hard to cycle it and feel it and say there was a real difference. now if it was a stock action, yeah, you feel it. honestly, i was not impressed. this is the first post that i have made saying so since i got it back in early july. after i polished everything up and added my own bolt lift kit and dry fired for ever, cycled mag after mag of dummy rounds... it really didint feel like anything different than what i sent in. there may be a slight lessening, but lkike i said you are compressing the firing pin spring when you lift the bolt. unless you lighten that spring, its always gonna feel that way. you can remove alot of the rotational friction by doing some work, but when it comes down to it, you still gotta cock that spring

Ample good smiths around who can do as good or better and don't root you around like many have found. No "magic" is done. Popular does not mean special, it just means you can get away with more shit before you get it back.
This idea of restocking fee's, if you are quoted dates and they go well over them then there is no justification for it. Pay by CC
wink.gif
Enough charge backs often sends a very clear message.

I would much rather spend the extra on a decent BM which took popular mags.

If you use a balance beam inch-lb torque wrench with a 1/4" allen head socket in the bolt assembly screw, you can measure the lift force. Mine is the same now after lubing the bolt assembly and putting it back together the way it was. Same after $162 T&T job. Complete waste of money other than getting the bolt face resurfaced. Primers aren't cratering quite as bad as from factory.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xr650rRider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you use a balance beam inch-lb torque wrench with a 1/4" allen head socket in the bolt assembly screw, you can measure the lift force. Mine is the same now after lubing the bolt assembly and putting it back together the way it was. Same after $162 T&T job. Complete waste of money other than getting the bolt face resurfaced. Primers aren't cratering quite as bad as from factory. </div></div>

Can you check the work was done?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xr650rRider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you use a balance beam inch-lb torque wrench with a 1/4" allen head socket in the bolt assembly screw, you can measure the lift force. Mine is the same now after lubing the bolt assembly and putting it back together the way it was. Same after $162 T&T job. Complete waste of money other than getting the bolt face resurfaced. Primers aren't cratering quite as bad as from factory. </div></div>

he did the same thing on the savage shooters site. there is a thread on there where he compares stock, w/ bolt lift and with the T&T. after assembling the rifle, its smooth as glass as far as the action. the lift is smoother as all of the mating surfaces are now true. so... still not sure about the "was it worth it" part. i would like 3 more mags, i can say that much

My complete rifle build finally arrived Wednesday 12/15/2010. 10 months to put a Savage together. Paid them $300 for clear coat finish. Metal work looks good. Can't shoot because the rings that I ordered with the complete build were not shipped after I had mentioned that it would be a shame to wait this long and not get rings and bases. Base was installed but no rings.

Would you pay $300 for this clear coat finish? This is how it came out of the cheap gun case they shipped it in.

sssstock1.jpg

sssstock2.jpg

sssstock3.jpg

The milky looking streak above the dark color is seperating. Actually looks like this piece has been broken and glued back on.
sssstock4.jpg

Bedding is acceptable. At least with this build you can tell the action had some machining work done on it. I know for a fact now that the previous action I sent in for Time & True work only had machining work done on the bolt head, nothing else. I was charged over $160 for that pleasure. The bolt face is gold now due to the brass that it shaved due to the rough finish.

sssbedding1.jpg

sssbedding2.jpg

sssbedding3.jpg

sssbedding4.jpg

wow. nails in the coffin there. make sure you post this over on the savage shooters forum. seriously.

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/board,28.0.html

worst part is what do you do? cant get ahold of them, cant complain to anyone. but over on savage sooters there is a section to post in where you can put this in SSS's area or have fred take a look at it. thats very poor quality with the chips and are those dings? spots? the broken fore end too? and no rings? wow.

This is just one of many many complaints I've heard about this company. From what I've heard they so swamped with work but refuse to turn any away or bring in any extra help. They just keep taking orders and money and after the money has been received they pretty much do what they want when they want.

I personally tried to call them for a week straight just to get some information on time & true and recoil lug. I left multiple messages and never heard anything.

Wow! How many more people are going to get screwed? Thats just piss poor work and QC. Good luck getting them to answer the phone or returning emails. I've had my dealings with them and I will never give them another dime.

Wonder if I'm next. I'm approaching a 6 month wait on a quoted 8-10 week turn time for a custom stock. Was going to have him do a rebarrel and time n true but it doesn't look like his quality is worth the wait. Anyone have another gunsmith to suggest that can rebarrel and accurize my savage IN A TIMELY MANNER?

from what people have said kevin rayhill at stockade is pretty good at savage smithing. buy the barrel anywhere really since now there are so many companies that make the prefit savage barrels now. kreiger, shilen, mcgowan, walther-lothar. look on savage shooters . com forum and try jim at northland. try sinarms too. he is a member here, not sure if he is a sponsor. but he has a section on savage shooters and carries several brands of barrels

SSS is a POS company to deal with..unfortunately the other big savage builder, Keven Rayhill aint much better. I wanted one of his stocks and he plays this BS game, pay this much extra or get in the long line.
I gladly paid a little extra and had Manners make me a kick ass and FAR superior stock and any one of the reputable smiths on this site can do a better job of working on the savage..I also went with a rock barrel and shit canned the barrel nut and a CDI DBM bottom metal..Its more money than I wanted to spend on a savage but at least none of it went to Fred or Kevins pocket and its better rifle and shoots better than anything they could hope to produce. Everything you need to build the best savage can be found on this site.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">from what people have said kevin rayhill at stockade is pretty good at savage smithing. buy the barrel anywhere really since now there are so many companies that make the prefit savage barrels now. kreiger, shilen, mcgowan, walther-lothar. look on savage shooters . com forum and try jim at northland. try sinarms too. he is a member here, not sure if he is a sponsor. but he has a section on savage shooters and carries several brands of barrels </div></div>
Thanks. I bought my 110ba from Jim at northland. Helluva guy that sold me the gun at a helluva price. I think I am leaning toward a kreiger though and not sure if he stocks those.

if im not mistaken, he JUST started carrying the kreiger criterion line of barrels

Good to know cuz he will be first on my list. Looking at a 28" 6.5mm but still in the air as to what flavor to choose for 1k target shooting probably 260 or 260AI or 6.5x47 or 55...

I purchsed a barreled savage action from a man on another forum that was worked on by Fred at SSS. He installed a Douglas barrel, heavy duty recoil lug, and supposedly T&T'd the action. There is no discernable machining marks on the bolf face, but being a floating head design I'm not suprised. It does look like the action and the lug are mated perfectly so either the action was true from the factory, or he trued it.

My bolt lift does seem a touch heavy after dry firing(I've yet to fire the rifle as I have no stock) but not more than any other savage that I've shot.

What I'm concerned about now is that it seems like I might have a headspace problem??? I know that the gun hasn't been fired since the work at SSS was done. Should I get some
go/no-go gauges before I shoot this thing? Anybody have some .243 go/no-go they want to get rid of?

As a side note, this gun was worked on in 2008. Was his work better then?

it should have had the headspace set when it was last put together using that bolt and barrel, so it should be good. when i got mone back the bolt face had been trued. the rim wasnt touched, just the face down where the hole for the pin was. one guy posted his boltface was so rough after his T&T it was now brass impregnated. the ramps had been touched on mine. i think. i never really inspected it before. i should have photographed it all before and after. the face of the receiver was trued. the back edges of the locking lugs had a fresh bevel. i can see what he has done. he took the whole bolt apart to do what he did. i sent it in stock. stockish, lol. they installed a lift kit, i had already done that. they shortened and trued the BAS too. i had the lift smoothed out myself pretty good before i sent it in. and after 30-45 days without it, its hard to say that it felt a bunch lighter after his work. now it is truer than it was before and he did do all the other stuff in there. but would i go thru it all again on another receiver? still on the fence about that

Got on the phone with SSS and credit card company. Lisa said if the stock was back to them by the end of the week they would be able to get it back to me by end of January for a shoot the 3rd week of January. I still didn't believe it could have been damaged in shipping the way it is but she assured me that the stock was perfect when it left their shop. I boxed it up today to ship back to Ohio. I pushed on the backside of the gun case and there is a crack in the back of it where it was probably dropped. So under the right circumstances it might have been possible with the crack that the case distorted enough to cause the chips. I still don't understand why we couldn't find it in the case but maybe it fell out? The crack was not visible until you pushed on it and we focused on the stock and the inside of the case. The foam on the case pretty much covered up the crack. Now I still had my doubts about the cracked piece on the forend but again under the right circumstances it might have flexed hard enough against the barrel to cause the break but because of the clear coat it didn't break off. Could explain the whitening effect that is just getting worse. Either way, its on it's way back to Ohio 2nd day air.

SSSGunCase.jpg

SSSStockfe.jpg

SSS got the stock back to me day before yesterday as promised. This one looks good. If its the same stock, I can't see any of the previous damage. Now we just have the issue of set of Burris 30mm medium signature rings or $49. The refund was supposed to be included with the returned stock.

glad to hear that they got you taken care of. well, almost anyway. when you do get ahold of them, ask about the 9 round mags if you would.

SSS has been having problems keeping their promises for a long time.
Gunsmithing is not an exact thing, but a good smith will give you a better idea of when things should be done.

I deal with Savagegunsmithing. The Smith, Scott Null is a master Riflesmith and does fantastic work on any rifle, but specializes in the Savage. His prices are very reasonable also, great person to talk to, really knows his smithing as well as ballistics. Not big headed like Fred.

He did a fantastic job on my Model 10, he's the only smith I know that guarentee's his custom built rifles, .3", 5 shots at 100 yds of less, most shoot way under .3" I get tired of seeing 5K or 8K rifles that only guarentee 1/2, 3 shot groups @ 100, I would not deal with a smith or company that thinks 1/2" at 100 yds is a good group.
You can contact him at www.savagegunsmithing.com.
Give them a try, he very busy, but at least gives you a fairly accurate time frame that your rifle will be done in.
Increadable work, can build a savage just about any way you want it.
I've had some days when he's hard to get ahold of, most most of the time you can get him on the phone, call earily.

John K

Looks like its back to the credit card company to get refund for $49 rings that were left out of the order. When we had a three way call with credit card company, I was told refund would be sent with repaired stock. I agreed that would be ok. No refund with stock and emails go un-answered now. I'll wait 3 more days.

Was told they were left out because they didn't charge me shipping?? You quote a complete rifle build that included shipping but now you leave the rings off because you didn't charge me shipping??? I don't get it. I just want to have this nightmare over with.

man thats sad. i wouldnt wait three days, just get it over with. and i like SSS and have not had any real issues. im just waiting on a call for some mags.

i have had mixed results for SSS parts orders happen fast, barrl that was suppose to take 6 weeks took 6 months+. I have had good luck with Kevin at stockade. just my experience nothing against SSS.

SSS wasn't bad a few years ago, but their CS has gone down hill big time.

I am a big fan of Kevin Rayhill's work. When I call him...we talk and talk. I like his personality and I like how he conducts business. I find his prices very reasonable and his turn around time is very fast.

I know that if I want work done to my Savage that I wouldn't bother with SSS and would give Kevin a call.

They still have my money for 2 mags. They keep pushing the date back 2 weeks everytime I get a email from them. I will never do business with the again I will find another source of mags if I have to make them.

Got a refund of $49 and a set of rings today in the mail. The saga is finally over.

Give Kevin Rayhill at Stockade Gun Stocks a shot at all your Savage needs ... 308-432-5114. There's no sense in dealing with someone who will lie and steel your money.