• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

How to get through to Sharp Shooters Supply

pyplynr

Minuteman
Apr 4, 2010
Oklahoma
Can anyone tell me how to get through to Sharp Shooters Supply. They haven't returned any of the 4 of my emails and everytime I call all I get is a busy signal!!!

Re: How to get through to Sharp Shooters Supply

Dealt with them a while back. I was happy with them overall. The only time I could get through on the phone was a little bit before they would close shop for the day. Might be worth a shot if you haven't already.

They are hard to get through to. I know from my research that the phone there is always busy. What I was told was to place the number on speed dial and keep trying till you get through (might take about minutes). If you look on the website you will see that he has days that he takes calls in regards to technical support which is probably not the days you want to call uless it is a tech question you need answered.

He is pretty busy from what I gather full filling customeers orders so in order to stay on top of that is why he specified days for tech support questions.

Keep trying. Also send Lisa an email asking them to call you back.

yep. send an email with your number and your questions, lisa always calls me back.

Thanks for all the ideas guys. I finally got through to Lisa and my barrel should ship out by Friday!

Well my barrel was supposed to ship out on may 7 and still haven't got it so I'm gonna say that they didn't ship it. I don't think ups takes 7 business days from Ohio to Oklahoma. Called SSS as soon as they opened and the phone is already busy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pyplynr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can anyone tell me how to get through to Sharp Shooters Supply. They haven't returned any of the 4 of my emails and everytime I call all I get is a busy signal!!!</div></div>

shower them with gifts, and carve an idol out of gold that resembles fred moreo, and he might look down upon you with his effervescent countenance in favor, so that you might know the god-like awesomeness that is himself.

seriously, if you don't feed that asshat's ego even more than it already is, he doesn't give two shits about you or your money. he does great work, but holy fucking crap does he love himself for it.

yeah he does great work

I will second armed ferret

I sent a rifle up they for a skim coat,recoil lug,and action job.told me 4-6 weeks. after 9 weeks I finally talked to someone....ummm we are running behind. 5 weeks later(total of 14) my rifle just showed up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pyplynr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well my barrel was supposed to ship out on may 7 and still haven't got it so I'm gonna say that they didn't ship it. I don't think ups takes 7 business days from Ohio to Oklahoma. Called SSS as soon as they opened and the phone is already busy. </div></div>
typical SSS service. get used to it...ASSHAT is an understatement.

I guess all gunsmiths that are swamped are assholes then, is that the criteria here? Yes Fred could communicate better, but his work is first rate. I have yet to see any gunsmith worth his salt that is not booked to the hilt with work. If you are in a damn hurry use someone local.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: McKinneyMike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess all gunsmiths that are swamped are assholes then, is that the criteria here? Yes Fred could communicate better, but his work is first rate. I have yet to see any gunsmith worth his salt that is not booked to the hilt with work. If you are in a damn hurry use someone local. </div></div>

he was an asshole long before he was swamped with work. kampfeld, kmw, gap, cca, and snyder are all swamped with work, and none of them is anywhere close to asshole. they're all extremely friendly, down-to-earth guys who are very humble about their talents.

fred, eh, not so much.

Here is my latest email and the reply that I got

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Tuesday, May 18, 2010 11:48 AM
Subject: My order

I talked to you on Wednesday, May the 5th and I thought you had told me
that my order would ship on the 7th. I would like to know if it was
shipped on the 7th, and if it was, then I need to contact UPS or USPS and
try to find out where it may be.

Their response:

I thought it would because the guys were doing barrels at that time.

They quit doing barrels mid week that week and have been running support
parts.

One of them switched back and started doing barrels today.
I will get it shipped as soon as they bring it to the packing table.

Lisa
SSS

they have a habit of shipping the wrong color bolt handle after spending a ton of money to get a stock from them, then other action work.

I made an order on the 6th of this month via phone. I called on the 11th to check the status, she said it would ship that day. I called back today to see if it did ship, she said it shipped on the 13th. I still don't have anything in the mail.......

Well it's been another month and still no barrel. I was hoping to have this rifle finished by next weekend. It's supposed to be a "1st year in the Navy" surprize for my younger brother that will be home on leave on July 5th. Doesn't look like I'll get it finished.

I ordered (and was charged for) two bolts and two bolt handles a month ago. Nothing yet.

I added SSS to the list of folks who aren't worth the hassle of chasing and begging to take my money. There's a supporter here on that list, too. But you know how everyone has their fanbois who get all bent when you dis their fav vendor. That's what you'll get with SSS. Everyone piling on because you don't send him a fuk'n cake and beg him to take your order.

If I gotta chase you to give you my money, you probably don't need it. Life's too short.
smile.gif

never heard of them until i got my savage. emailed about a T&T and Lisa said i would be added to the list for the end of may. last part of may, i emailed and was sent back a number to put on my package and told to ship it (my receiver). sent it in, never asked how long it would take, dont really care. i did ask for a 9 rounder and a single shot adapter when it came back. i really dont even know how they want paid. i didnt send any payment, they didnt ask for any.

but for you guys that paid and are still waiting or waiting to shoot, i feel for you. i would be a little pissed too. but i dont get upset over that stuff anymore, i just let it roll off and accept it or dont deal with it.

if it were me, id call my credit card company and reverse the payment, let them keep the barrel and see if Jim at Northland has a McGowen or Shillen in stock and go that way. then id call or email SSS and let them know what you did and why. just so they get the message. whether they choose to do anything about these issues is up to them.

but i doubt they will miss you anymore than you will miss them. kinda sad in a way

Was charged on May 21st (month ago) for my 9 round mag and was told 2 week back-order upon ordering. Damn USPS is slow
grin.gif

I'll update when it arrives.

My brother has tried on multiple occasions to order from SSS and give them money. On four different occasions, no product/service rendered so he had to reverse charges.

Due to his experience, this is a company I will never deal with.

I'll add my experience with SSS. I ordered a 9 rd DBM and single shot "Sled" the last week of April. "Lisa" said the Sled was in stock, but the DBM was B.O. and I was #74 of 80 units in production. Got the Sled promptly, still waiting on the DBM. Last phone call (7 days ago) was told Fred "was having trouble getting end-mills" to finish the mags??? My Big Question is WHEN I should seek reversing payment on my credit card. Something is "Not Right" about that operation. Savage parts are a growing market, other Reliable suppliers should step in.
frown.gif

This is not the stuff I want to hear about SSS. My new build that I have been waiting on for a while is getting a SSS recoil lug, comp trigger and bolt knob. I really hope the rifle doesn't get finished and I am left waiting a couple months for cheap parts I could get from anywhere else. I better let my friend that just ordered a barrel, lug, and handle from them know that he may be in for quite a wait.

Order your lug and bolt handle from Stockade. They are better parts IMO.

Here is the link for them Stockade

Fred does make good some good stuff, but they are just hard to get ahold of, and have times that are about the same as other smiths out there. Freds company is a 2 man operation. They offer a lot of custom parts, as well as factory parts. Someone has to make them and do the smithing work as well. This all takes time. If he can not get factory parts, you are not going to get them either.

They have a basic time frame they give everyone for their parts. And it is just like every other smith out there. If they tell you 6-8 weeks, expect 12-16 to be fair. They know if they tell you the truth on how long something is really going to take you might go somewhere else. And it is not only them that is back logged.

Call GAP and tell them you are sending them an action to have trued and a barrel made and installed and tell them you want it in 3 weeks. See what they tell you.

You just have to remember that Savage has gained a big following in the last few years. There are only a handfull of people that realy know how to work on them. Now do you understand why it is hard to get threw to them.

If you are lookng for a Savage drop in barrel, you xhuold check out Lothar-Walther.
They carry a number of drop in barrels in stock, the price is good and the barrels excellent.

It took me all of 1 week to get a 24" 1-10" twist .308 barrel from them.

Just be aware that you will fill out an order request, they will send you a reply that you print out and mail in a check or money order.
It was a little unusual, they told me they quit taking credit cards a few years back.

Just be aware, they are highly polished SS barrels and are made of a steel harder than the normal 416. Boy, do they clean easy (and shoot good too)

I recently had a phone conversation with Kevin from Stockade. He was very up front about the way they handled their business and seemed to be a very practical, down to earth guy. He also had some interesting things to say about SSS. When I can afford to have some work done (bottom metal and time a savage action) I'll be giving him first shot and while I have had no actual dealings with him I would suggest at least giving him a call before commiting to SSS.

In fairness I should also add that I have never spoken to or delt with Fred or anyone at SSS, and he may have some choice words regarding Stockade.

Ok, here's what I ordered

Douglas barrel in 22-250 Ackley Improved 1-8 twist finished at 26"
.473 Bolt face
Tactical Bolt Handle

I was charged on 4/13/10
They have had my money for almost 11 weeks

Now I may be wrong. Because this will be my first aftermarket barrel, But I was planning on having this rifle finished before my little brother came home on leave.

So my question to all of you that have ordered barrels is:
Was 11 weeks ample time to complete my order?

FWIW

I have only done business with SSS once, about 18 months ago. My first barrel order, 3 week del. quoted, just over 6 months actual delivery. Other parts in stock came in a few days, really good pieces and very nice folks. I have come to realize that at least for custom barrels, actual delivery is in no way connected to the "Quoted" delivery, matter not who they are ordered from. I ordered two very "Special" barrels from Kreiger, quoted 5 months, one came in three weeks, patiently waiting for the other one. Delivery time is the "Luck of the Draw" for most custom gun things I reckon. If you're short on patience, or have a deadline to meet, best to stay with "In Stock"-"Ships Next Day" parts.

YMMV
Emory Jones

pyplynr, try jim at northland shooters supply. see whats in stock. ive gotten lucky and my shillen was available cause a customer changed his mind. cant say if your wait is typical, but alot of people talk about waiting for custom stuff for months

Well after much waiting... I got my barrel and bolt handle......But no bolt head! hopefully the respond to my email or the phone calls I will make tomorrow.

Just to bring closure to my posting above about my wait for the 9 rd DBM, I picked it up at the P.O. last night. I placed my order on April 19. The mag looks good, fits well and seems to function well with dummy rounds. Wish there was a more reliable source for these as I don't like modifying a rifle any more than necessary ( could buy 4-5 of these for what custom bottom metal and gunsmith fitting costs). Also pyplynr, curious minds want to know what happened to your bolt head???

They supposedly forgot to put it in the box with my bbl and bolt handle. I called last Thursday and Lisa said that she would ship it out the next day. But here it is a week later and as of 10am today, nothing has arrived.

i will point lisa to this thread. she called when my action was done with the T&T. ill let you know how the action feels when i get it back. they also sold every one of the 80 9 round mags that was made this run. i asked them to mark me down for three next run

I ordered a stock 4 months ago still have not seen it yet this will be the last time i deal with them also

What sucks is they charge you in advance when you order a stock. That part's fine, but if they don't meet the quoted delivery time ur still stuck unless you want to lose 25% to a 'restocking fee'.
Also sucks that they sold out of the mags. As I ordered two just as he was starting the run. Figured he'd go ahead and fill all current orders - guess not. And from my understanding, he only does one run every couple months or something ridiculous like that.
Real disappointed. And I'm assuming the 10-12 weeks I was quoted on the stock is a pipe dream...

HMM, Stockade has time to discuss other companies work and policies, and will have time to get you in and out, and do the same work as the company he is bad mouthing, in less time?? HUH?

Reminds me of supper last night. I went to Appleby's and had a fabulous hamburger, The waiter was running all over, and had to get her attention when I could, just to get a refill on drink's. great burger but had to wait about 15 min. for it and had to wait to get the gal's attention that was taking care of me????? Man 12 - 15 times what it took my neighbor to get his hamburger?????

My neighbor went across the street to McDonald's. he got his burger in less than 1 minuet, spent less money and said he got great service?????????

I assure you when I say I got a great burger I DID. some people don't know the difference, and so it goes with gunsmiths!!! If a guy has time to badmouth his competition!! and is easy to catch away from the machine!! and does not have a big backlog!! maybe your not as serious about the kind of work some of us expect!!! Think about it, if your in a real hurry and almost as good, is ok with you, go for it, try the big mac, I would like mine now also, but if that is what I'm gona get, I'l wait, that way I know I will be happy!!

Personally I'll wait, I know when it is done Fred will have it right, I live less than 1 hour away, I can attest that he is swamped, (and for good reason) He is the best at what he offers, after all, all the rest are compared to him. So it doesn't take many brains to understand!

1) The guy is specializing in working on the fastest growing brand in the industry for the past 10 years,

2) He is the person all other Savage gun smith's are compared to.

3) He is swamped, and so is Lisa, they want your money but are so busy they can't free up time to talk without backlogging more work.

4) Fred is not only supplying gun owners in parts, some of the people you are mentioning can only provide you with the same items or offer inferior items in there place because Fred has to supply them also!!

5) Finally "no one on this planet works on more savage rifles THAN SAVAGE THEMSELVES"!! THINK ABOUT IT!!

I personally have not heard of most other smith's mentioned here. I know Fred works on more by huge #'s than other smith's, I know him personally and he AINT PERFECT even if as others say "he thinks he is," but for the many he does I have to say he has less issues than others, I mean if you only work on 100's and have a couple with problems, I think everyone should understand, WHEN YOU WORK ON 1000'S a few more might be unhappy??

Sorry to dissagree but I'll wait on Fred to get nine done the way I expect it, and like my Appleby's burger, I'll enjoy it much more!!!!!!

THINK ABOUT IT!!!

Yea Fred is busier than a one armed paper hanger. I will say that they do need to be more up front on actual times for custom stuff though. Now all that said, Fred Moreno is the only smith that I will send my Savage actions to regardless of the wait involved. He is the master of making them sing, IMO. Seen many other smiths Savage work, but Fred is gifted when it comes to Savages, no doubt about that.

I will let you know right now. You will have just as long of a wait with Kevin at Stockade. I had him do a full build for me. I will tell you this. It was about 6 weeks over what he said it would take. But it was perfect in every way.

I also had Fred build me a rifle. I can not tell you if it was over due as I just sent the parts and told them to call me when done. Now, the gun shot and felt very well. Some of the finishing was not that great. The bed job looked like a hurry job. The rear tang was not floated on both sides. Epoxy was on top of the stock at the action. I emailed them 4 times about the issues and never heard from them again. All of this was easily taken care of buy me, but I should not have had to do so. Would I have them do more work for me? I don't know. But he offers parts other don't.

There only a few Savage smiths out there right now, and fewer that offer parts for them. So, if you want to play the Savage game, get in line like the rest of us.

ive always gotten thru and gotten my questions answered. lisa and i talked often during this last job i had done. it was a T&T and its on the way back now. i never asked how long it takes, it takes as long as it takes. i dont bug lisa alot, just the basics.

as for the mags, i think it was march when i asked about them. same time as i was put on the T&T list for a late May mail in. she said the next run was spoken for pretty much at that point. that was this run. its all sold out and i asked back in march. while thats being run, he isnt doing actions or stocks, just the mags. they did 80 or so. next run is august. i got three of those, you better get your order in now if you want one. if you ordered after march, your gonna get one out of this next batch.

ill let you know about the T&T when it comes back. i will say that there are plenty of people that have savage drop in barrels in stock with no wait time. we all know custom stuff takes time. when you order anything, if its not there, your gonna wait. either look around or accept the wait. now i do agree i would be pissed if i was told june 1st and it was past that date but this isnt something i can do myself. i would be pissed at appleby's slow service, but i knew i could have had a McDouble and no wait before i went in and sat down to order. but McD's dont have that smoky bacon i was craving.

ill keep doing business with them. where else are you going to get 9 round mags? but let someone else figure that little gem out and things could change

The final parts came in the mail today. I have 3 days to put the barrel on and get it painted for my brother. I can't wait to see his face when I hand him this surprise!!

I called stockade about ordering an LR BR blank/unfinished and was quoted 16 weeks? but if I was willing to pay an extra $100 they could have it to me in 4 weeks. wtf

I asked why a blank fresh out of the mold would take as long as a finished stock and the reply was I might get a blank 3-4 days before a finished stock. wtf!

I told them I don't hold my customers ransom so I would not be doing buisness with them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim See</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I called stockade about ordering an LR BR blank/unfinished and was quoted 16 weeks? but if I was willing to pay an extra $100 they could have it to me in 4 weeks. wtf

I asked why a blank fresh out of the mold would take as long as a finished stock and the reply was I might get a blank 3-4 days before a finished stock. wtf!

I told them I don't hold my customers ransom so I would not be doing buisness with them.

</div></div>

Kevin told me the $100 was to cover the overtime to get a stock done out of order, otherwise it's get in line and wait the 14-16 weeks. I understand the concept and think it is fair. I'm about seven weeks in. To each his own.

Are extended magazines really that hard to make? It looks like he is just using the factory cartridge holder and putting a bigger box and spring on it.
I have two on order and was actually thinking I could easily modify one for my .223 - that's all savage did. The bottom metal on both my 223 and 308 fcp-k's are the same. Savage just put a filler plug in the magazine to compensate for the length. I'm thinking all I will have to do is put the same dimension filler in the magazine extension and a spring from like an ar15 mag and be gtg.

why not just take it apart and use the upper part of a 223 mag and the spring that they use in the 308 mag? that way you dont have to look for a spring.

i think they are working on a long action mag as well as a 223 version. surely anyone with a CNC mill or just a mill can make the box. unless there is a patent involved? and if they are so easy please someone start making these by the 1000s and get the costs down some.

Oh yeah, duh! So I have the spring then. Not to discount Fred's efforts, but the extended may doesn't seem to take rocket science, just time and demand.

seems like its just a matter of time and available machines. he could sub out the boxes to any number of places i would imagine, and free up time to do more stuff. maybe he is happy with stuff the way it is. im sure there is a method to the madness. like i said ive never had any issues with them, but i know where to find barrels in stock. i can wait as long as it takes for my 3 mags. i had no problem with 30 days turn around on my time & tune. i didnt pay in advance, i just mailed my receiver. lisa called when it was done and i gave her my CC# and i was done. i also picked up a single shot adapter