• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

How to hang steel plates?

Re: How to hang steel plates?

All these stands look great guy!!

Just got my steel in earlier this week, Will get some stands made up and post soon hopefully

I bought 5 plates from big dog steel, nice waterjet cut ar500.
I've been going thru the process of hanging it now.

The good:
Steel fence posts, drilled at the top, eye bolt installed. Two staked into the ground and then ~5' of 1/4" chain spread between them.

The bad:
Attaching steel plates to said chain has been error prone.
With the .22lr anything pretty much worked.
Not so much with the 223.
Simple S-hooks - after a few rounds the plate bounces loose.
Wire rope, wrapped around the plate bolts then clipped to the chain - lasted 1 223 round. Both wires sheared at the bolts and plate flew.
Generic aluminum caribeaner - after a few 223 rounds the aluminum snap is cut half-way through.

Based on this thread, I see I need to go check some local FD's to see if I an get a section of trashed firehose to try.

I'll post pictures shortly, but what I came up with was the following:
1. 2 each-2" Sch 40 pipe cut to 6"
2. 2 each-tear drop shape with hole cut for bolt(on plasmacam)
3. 2 each-Tposts

Simply permanently install the T-post's and each time you go out hang your setup on it and shoot. Likely no one will ever question 2 T-post pounded in the ground.

050.jpg

049.jpg

052.jpg

053.jpg

I also showed another target I made

@ 600 yards, the stand easily held up with a 10" plate and a .308. When the .338 Lapua hit it..... well, it knocked the whole thing over. We then braced it cinder blocks and hit it again. The stand held but the plate made a swinging loop up and over the stand :) That Lapua hits HARD! Also @ 50 yards with a .308 FAL, the stand held up just fine. For the $25 @ Lowes, it's a pretty good deal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D Ice 308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is my target stand,i just finished it...
Steel plates from BOBCAT STEEL.com paid $55 delivered! ; )
Sawhorse and hardware from home depot ,paid $50 , so total cost for target around $100
Can't wait to go shoot it
smile.gif

dscf2664p.jpg

dscf2663b.jpg
</div></div>

I posted this on another thread already but will re-post in hopes that it may help someone out....
wink.gif

I now have three rounds (8/10/12) and two 45% ISPC targets and here's how I have them set up:

P1010025.jpg

A close up of the back......attaching to these eye bolts allow the plates to face slightly downward which works out perfect for deflection.

P1010018.jpg

Another perk to this setup is that when you're done shooting, the posts all stack together well so I'm able to lay the plates on the floor and lean all the posts in the corner of my garage without taking up a bunch of floor space!!
cool.gif

to all the guys using chains and bolts. do you guys never miss or do you just like fixing stuff? one bad shot and your days over.

No $hit, I used to do that until I took my step-son to the range and first shot with the AR he hit the "S" hook holing the target @ 200 yds and down it went. We made due, but now I use webbing or now am trying strips made from plastic 55 gal barrels, you cannot shoot it enough to tear it up.

^^ If you shoot a chain, then you have a swinger.
kidding aside, I have not yet shot out a chain, I have blown off a rebar leg though, but I carry extra legs and a few 90 cent carabiners like Nebraska has on his setup. Clip-clip and good to go.

That's why I just use wire. If you shoot it, pretty simple to replace it in the field, not to mention cheap...

yeah wire rope ...what ever just not chain. but if you insist on using chain atleast weld the link atttaching to the steel on the backside. not a bolt ON the face of the target wating to get shot off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kentactic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">to all the guys using chains and bolts. do you guys never miss or do you just like fixing stuff? one bad shot and your days over. </div></div>

You're not bringing enough targets.....
wink.gif
laugh.gif

All kidding aside, fire hose, conveyor belts, heavy plasctic, etc. would all work great (definitely no 'S' hooks though). I made sure to add some extra chain on my posts so they'd last longer but if I end up shooting them up, I'll definitely look at alternatives to attach the plates.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kentactic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">to all the guys using chains and bolts. do you guys never miss or do you just like fixing stuff? one bad shot and your days over. </div></div>

Bring extra chain and bolts....... or go with better shooters.

Welding attachment points on th AR500 weakens/softens the steel and the welds will invariably break.

Bolts can get shot off, but only if you use standard junk grade. Get grade 8 bolts. They don't cost that much more and it will save you some hiking. Not that grade 8 is indestuctible, but they can take way more abuse than standard stuff.

Seriously - I mount everything (down to 4" rounds) with conveyer belt and grade 8 bolts and leave them at a local range where any hacker can and does blast away at them. Aside from occasionally replacing a belt hanger I never have any trouble. Can't say the same for stuff I've welded or hung with chain.

I def should have used grade 8 bolts I learned the hard way welded reg bolts to the back of my plates and hung them with pieces of old fire hose and the bolts broke off.So gotta put on new grade 8 bolts.

My steel plate is suspended by plain old car seat-belt material. I can get it from our local junkyard for free, so the price is perfect.

Put holes for the bolts to go through it by heating up a 1/2" bolt and burned them in. I've yet to shoot the belts, but I'd think it's still a better option than chain.

Now I just need to buy more plates, and make some more stands.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Max Owner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have a permanent place to set up, an old swing set would work, too. </div></div>

Yup. I've been using them for years. Here's a porch swing frame for my 1000 yard berm
0816049d.jpg

I also used chain route, and my first shot on the 4" plate, yep, cut the chain. Whoda thunk you could hit such a small object at 650 yds and not hit the darned plate, lesson learned.

I like the hose and belting idea. I will be contacting the local FD for used hose, thanks for the idea.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

9 of these made currently awaiting connecto on ar 500 squares. baler belting for me is lock stock.you can shoot the crap outa the belt."had some kids over liting one of these up @100yds with an AK. not even close to failure.heavy wall boiler tubing /angle. i wanted to be able to move them with tractor.

Here is one I'm working on that will make the plate hang at an angle and react when hit. This is the firt prototype for hanging on a tree or fence post. <span style="text-decoration: underline"> <span style="font-weight: bold">All the fasteners, chains brackets etc are all protected from bullet damage except the two grade bolts at the bottom which are hardened</span></span> The target will react in the direction it's hit.

DSC_0186.jpg

DSC_0188.jpg

I got the idea from the guy that posted these pics a couple years ago.

DSC00384.jpg

steeltargetwithchain.jpg

FYI - this weekend I toasted one of those carabiners by pounding the plate over and over with my 45-70 (twisted it to hell). It didn't break all the way but they definitely aren't going to last for the long haul. I'll definitely need to go with one of the tougher/more flexible options like firehose, etc.

As soon as I saw that, I immediately laughed and thought of your post. I had to get back on ASAP and tell on my set-up because you called it - now I'm eatin' cyber-crow....YUMMMY!!!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nebraska</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kentactic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">to all the guys using chains and bolts. do you guys never miss or do you just like fixing stuff? one bad shot and your days over. </div></div>

FYI - this weekend I toasted one of those carabiners by pounding the plate over and over with my 45-70 (twisted it to hell). It didn't break all the way but they definitely aren't going to last for the long haul. I'll definitely need to go with one of the tougher/more flexible options like firehose, etc.

As soon as I saw that, I immediately laughed and thought of your post. I had to get back on ASAP and tell on my set-up because you called it - now I'm eatin' cyber-crow....YUMMMY!!!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
</div></div>

lol yeah that sucks. but really all you have to do is remove the chain and bolts and run some cheap rope through there and you should be ok. yes it gets cut every now and then but its a cheap and easy fix in the field.

Here is a tip for those of you using chain to hang your steel.
STOP.

Get some old fire hose from your local FD or get some nylon webbing.
Not only is it a hell of a lot lighter than chain, but it will stand up to thousands of hits without needing to be replaced.
It also does a much better job of letting the steel "dance" when hit due to the elastic properties of the nylon / rubber.
Oh yea, the fire hose is usually had for free!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hawkeyetac308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is me and my Dads set up.
downsize.jpg
</div></div>

I just picked up some of these tie plates. How do they hold up? What calabers have you shot at these and at what distances?

Nice Target! yeah I need to upgrade my steel...I am using an old steam line end cap, its 12” in diameter and an 1-1/4” thick and some scrap gas line we had laying around at work. It works but it’s a little soft…the large dents are from 100 yard shots… I stopped that pretty quickly, it makes a great 400 yard target for my Varmint AR-15 and I’m hoping to try it out at farther ranges with my soon to be finished Savage custom.
258794_1389523873863_1705101469_651385_7745897_o.jpg

257230_1389523593856_1705101469_651384_435779_o.jpg

259430_1389524153870_1705101469_651386_5349505_o.jpg