• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How to help out a widow selling her late husbands reloading collection?

pyplynr

Minuteman
Apr 4, 2010
Oklahoma
My brother's father in law works with a lady whose husband passed away about a year ago and she is now moving out of their house. He contacted me about helping her because I reload myself and see if I could figure out what all the reloading equipment and components that her husband had are worth so she can sell it. I went and inventoried everything the other day and looked up the new prices of the components and what prices I could find on the equipment (ebay, google searches in forums). What would be the best and easiest way for her to sell everything. I told her if it were me I would find someone who would buy everything and take less money and let them deal with resale and keep what they wanted. Most of the equipment is older and there are quite a few items and components that are for pistol reloading which I don't do and don't plan on doing any time soon. Should she go talk to a gunshop and see if they would sell it on commission? Put an ad in Craigslist? How would you approach this in trying to help her out. The new retail price for everything is around $7k, There isn't a whole lot there that I would use personally for me to make her a fair offer, maybe $200-$300 worth. So what's a fair price to get it sold? 25%, 40%,50% off retail. I told her she more than likely wouldn't get anywhere close to full value unless she sold it piece by piece and that would take quite a while to move everything.

There is almost always a metric fuckton of used reloading equipment. Your advice is solid.

You could always list the inventory here in the PX first and see what The Hide is willing to go. I'd bet Good Guys With Guns would step up with some solid offers for the widow.

Reactions: EN2722
I think that your idea of selling it lock stock and barrel to one individual /business is solid. Much less of a headache. Craigslist could invite thieves. Kudos to you for assisting. Perhaps she will get 50-60% of new value, but if it is sold all at once- easier for all involved. Perhaps make her a reasonable offer for the things you are interested in, and set a price on the whole lot of the rest.

I also agree, trying to sell everything to one person would be the easiest way. Another option is make some phone calls to local reloading shops and see if they are interested in purchasing everything.

As Fig said, maybe throwing some stuff up here with a little story may help slim the inventory a little.