• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How to test batches of ammo correctly

iceng

Non-Privates
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2017
South Aus
I have read in a few other threads about ammo testing and accuracy results.

Personally I run a bore snake once or twice thru, and then shoot a small brick in 5 shot groups, 10 times. The last group is my bench mark I use to compare brands and batches.

I'll boresnake then run different ammo and test again. Once I find what I'm happy with, I buy a case or whatever, and literally never clean again.

I am NOT seeing any accuracy issues, however I'm no group shooter. I plink for fun and occasionally shoot out to 500m for shits n giggles.

Am I doing this all wrong, or is there a better way ? I'm happy with what I've found, however I'm looking at buying a new 22, so curious. Also run in on a New rimfire. How many rounds (ball park) until it's run in ?

I would shoot a box of each and take an average size rather than using one group to determine the quality of a particular ammo.
also, when you settle on the ammo you want it’ll be too late to buy what you’ve tested since ammo sells out so fast these days. You’re better off taking (or sending) your rifle to lapua or killough to have it tested.

If you plan on competing in local matches, you may want to step up you testing depending on how serious you want or intend to be in competitions. If what you have been doing works to your satisfaction/standards, continue on. I'm not a fan of the bore snakes, but if you get the results you are content with, continue on.

The boresnake discussion got me wondering.
So I broke out my Teslong USB borescope.
I've been cleaning with nylon brush, patches and Hoppes 9
during my the break-in with my new 455 Varmint barrel.
Last trip I did 4 passes with the 204 caliber boresnake.(the 22cal version jams)
Borescope pics show no difference in cleaning results,
with much less time spent putting things together and storage.
Just have to remember to wash the snake regularly.
Don't have to wash the patches and brush.
As long as you pull the snake through in line with the bore
I don't see any worries with wear at the crown.

Regular cleaning is more important than whether you use a rod or snake.
Keep that carbon ring from forming and prevent moisture
and residue from corroding/pitting the bore.

Break-in count can range from a few boxes to a case of rimfire.
Depends on the quality of the finish provided by the barrel maker.
Custom match barrel should be almost perfect as delivered.
Hammer forged mass produced barrel can require a great deal of shooting
before all the burrs and high spots are abraded down.

If you compete seriously, you already avail y'erself of the factory test centers.
If you just enjoy shooting, buy the best you can afford
and match the distance from muzzle to target, to the cartridge quality.
Even crap ammo will punch center, if you get close enough.

Last edited:
I have read in a few other threads about ammo testing and accuracy results.

Personally I run a bore snake once or twice thru, and then shoot a small brick in 5 shot groups, 10 times. The last group is my bench mark I use to compare brands and batches.

I'll boresnake then run different ammo and test again. Once I find what I'm happy with, I buy a case or whatever, and literally never clean again.

I am NOT seeing any accuracy issues, however I'm no group shooter. I plink for fun and occasionally shoot out to 500m for shits n giggles.

Am I doing this all wrong, or is there a better way ? I'm happy with what I've found, however I'm looking at buying a new 22, so curious. Also run in on a New rimfire. How many rounds (ball park) until it's run in ?

Send it to a Lapua Rimfire Test Center. Buy a case or two of the Lot that shot the best.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

Weirdly, I do have an Aussie DoD export permit, and a FFL (access) in USA.

Aaaaand not doing that. I'd rather shoot myself and have fun.

Since I can not reload for Rim Fire, I go through quite a bit of testing for the correct ammo for each of my Bench Rest Rim Fire Rifles, though not as much for my target rim fire pistols.

I buy match grade ammo, but I only buy a few boxes of each type and sometimes multiple lot numbers, but in either case only if the supplier has a large inventory of the lot numbers that I will be buying to test. No sense finding out the best Brand, Type and Lot number to find out you can't buy any more in that lot.

I thank sort the ammo with a rim thickness gauge and then weigh sort the batches that have been rim sorted. That it is off to the range on a no wind day with my SEB NEO Rest and fire test targets. Firing is done by fouling the barrel and than shooting with barrel cooling time for one test batch, then gun gets cleaned and then fouled and the next batch gets test fired an on the same way for all batches I am testing.

When I find what works the best, I call the supplier and buy a bunch of that lot

Since I can not reload for Rim Fire, I go through quite a bit of testing for the correct ammo for each of my Bench Rest Rim Fire Rifles, though not as much for my target rim fire pistols.

I buy match grade ammo, but I only buy a few boxes of each type and sometimes multiple lot numbers, but in either case only if the supplier has a large inventory of the lot numbers that I will be buying to test. No sense finding out the best Brand, Type and Lot number to find out you can't buy any more in that lot.

I thank sort the ammo with a rim thickness gauge and then weigh sort the batches that have been rim sorted. That it is off to the range on a no wind day with my SEB NEO Rest and fire test targets. Firing is done by fouling the barrel and than shooting with barrel cooling time for one test batch, then gun gets cleaned and then fouled and the next batch gets test fired an on the same way for all batches I am testing.

When I find what works the best, I call the supplier and buy a bunch of that lot
How many fouling shots, how do you clean, etc. I'd love to learn how others approach it. Yes I shoot rimfire, but not at a decent level.

If I change ammo brands I clean the bore and then fire fouling shots. Usually go through at least ten different lots. I also use this rig indoors at ten meters to test pellets.

Reactions: iceng

When selecting match grade ammo by lot as you do, how much of a difference do you find that sorting it further by rim thickness and by weight makes? Is it significant?

How much barrel heating do you find occurring when testing .22LR ammo from the bench? How long do you allow for the barrel to cool down between different ammos?