• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

HOW TO: TRG KRG T3 Whiskey 3 interchangeability PICS

immelmann

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 17, 2012
Australia
HOW TO: TRG KRG T3 Whiskey 3 interchangeability PICS
Read below as it's hard to modify first thread post.
More to follow

I am a SAKO TRG22 tragic. I love the standard stock, fully adjustable very nice trigger and bi-pod. I have fired about 3500 rounds through it in many different shooting disciplines and competitions and am very familiar with it. My TRG is still very accurate and has lots of life left.
I am going overseas soon for a shooting competition that doesn't allow military calibres, and as such have got a Tikka T3 in .260Rem that is excellent for the shooting I really enjoy. It came in a XLR Evoluton stock having fired only 20 rounds. The XLR didn't suit me and I couldn't use my TRG bi-pod so I sold it on.

The plan is to shoot the TRG and hand loaded .308WIN cheaply and save the more expensive 6.5mm .260Rem hand loaded ammo for comps only and last minute familiarization training.
It is very important that it feels like I'm shooting the same gun and to have a fairly seem-less transition from calibre to calibre. Just 'swap scopes' (forend, trigger group and butt) and re-zero.

The KRG Whiskey 3 Chassis for Tikka T3 is excellent in its own right and feeds from AI type 308 mags.

Think of the KRG T3 W3 as an Aluminium TRG.

I can put the KRG W3 T3 stock on the Tikka T3 and feed from AI mags
I can put the KRG W3 T3 butt on the TRG and T3.
I can put the TRG trigger group on the T3 with W3 chassis / skeleton, W3 butt and W3 forend (using AI mags)
With a modified KRG T3 W3 skeleton I can put the full TRG factory stock and magazine and bipod on the Tikka T3.
With further modification of the KRG W3 T3 forend I could put it on the TRG (by using TRG forend aluminium slots and two holes drilled in the KRG W3 T3 forend - I have not done this) but I would need to use AI mags, unless I modify the KRG W3 T3 forend to suit TRG mags. My 308WIN TRG rounds have a long OAL (at 10 thou from lands) and to feed from a factory AI 308 mag, the front part of the AI mag needs to be removed.

I much prefer the TRG22 double stack 308WIN mags over the AI (and I own two TRG mags and two AI mags). The TRG mags also accommodate larger OAL hand loaded 308WIN rounds. They hold (10 thou off the lands) .260Rem 123gn Nosler Custom competition easily.
Finally I decided to go with making the T3 accept the TRG forend and TRG magazines with TRG bipod.
After a few shots (in the TRG with KRG W3 T3 butt, TRG forend and AI mags) off hand and I hate how far the AI mag protrudes. My Offhand is better with my hand under a flush TRG mag. The upcoming competition involves off hand shooting and other unsupported positions.

To make the Tikka T3 accept a TRG forend and magazine and to use the bipod:
Modify the TRG forend to enable the bi-pod release to fully disengage. (the forend sits slighlty forward to make the TRG mag fit)
Modify the inlet of the KRG W3 T3 chassis to fit wider TRG magazines. As standard it is only wide enough to fit AI mags.
At the front of the KRG W3 T3 skeleton, drill a couple of holes to enable the TRG forend screws to seat fully as they are too long (or cut / use shorter screws). But if they do come loose the forend won't slide off.

If you want to use the KRG W3 T3 chassis on the TRG or T3, have a selection of new high tensile screws (cheap from a quality bolts place) and washers to enable the correct thread purchase and not over seat and run into the bolt raceway. Use good light to check this.

Pics to follow.

Pics 1-5

Attachments

• 1 KRG T3 vs TRG forend (Small).jpg
    1 KRG T3 vs TRG forend (Small).jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 2 KRG T3 with AI mag seated     vs        TRG forend and TRG mag seated (Small).jpg
    2 KRG T3 with AI mag seated vs TRG forend and TRG mag seated (Small).jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 3 KRG vs TRG show mag release line up (Small).jpg
    3 KRG vs TRG show mag release line up (Small).jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 4 mag vs trigger guard vs mag rel vs trigger (Small).jpg
    4 mag vs trigger guard vs mag rel vs trigger (Small).jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 5 profile W3 AI mag vs TRG TRG mag (Small).jpg
    5 profile W3 AI mag vs TRG TRG mag (Small).jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 62
pics 6-10

Attachments

• 6 TRG and KRG W3 T3 skeleton side by side unmodified (Small).jpg
    6 TRG and KRG W3 T3 skeleton side by side unmodified (Small).jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 7 W3 KRG T3 guard and TRG trigger mech w mag releases removed (Small).jpg
    7 W3 KRG T3 guard and TRG trigger mech w mag releases removed (Small).jpg
    179 KB · Views: 54
  • 8 TRG w KRG and T3 KRG trigger guards mag release (Small).jpg
    8 TRG w KRG and T3 KRG trigger guards mag release (Small).jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 9 TRG STD trigger mech with KRG STD TRG mag release angle pic (Small).jpg
    9 TRG STD trigger mech with KRG STD TRG mag release angle pic (Small).jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 10 Tikka T3 with unmodified KRG W3 T3 skeleton on T3 .260 Rem barrelled action. Factory KRG AI m.jpg
    10 Tikka T3 with unmodified KRG W3 T3 skeleton on T3 .260 Rem barrelled action. Factory KRG AI m.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 51
pics 11-15

Attachments

• 11 TRG STD inlet cutout      STD TRG mag alignement block (Small).jpg
    11 TRG STD inlet cutout STD TRG mag alignement block (Small).jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 12 Tikka T3 with modified inlet (suit TRG22 mag) (Small).jpg
    12 Tikka T3 with modified inlet (suit TRG22 mag) (Small).jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 13 Tikka T3 with modified inlet (suit TRG22 mag) KRG T3 W3 skeleton pic 2 (Small).jpg
    13 Tikka T3 with modified inlet (suit TRG22 mag) KRG T3 W3 skeleton pic 2 (Small).jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 14 modified forend (suit TRG22 forend) KRG T3 W3 skeleton (Small).jpg
    14 modified forend (suit TRG22 forend) KRG T3 W3 skeleton (Small).jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 15 KRG W3 T3 modified skeleton to suit TRG mags, painted with gloss paint pic 2 (Small).jpg
    15 KRG W3 T3 modified skeleton to suit TRG mags, painted with gloss paint pic 2 (Small).jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
pics 16-20

Attachments

• 16 KRG W3 T3 modified skeleton to suit TRG mags, painted with gloss paint pic 3 (Small).jpg
    16 KRG W3 T3 modified skeleton to suit TRG mags, painted with gloss paint pic 3 (Small).jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 17 KRG W3 T3 modified skeleton to suit TRG mags, painted with gloss paint (Small).jpg
    17 KRG W3 T3 modified skeleton to suit TRG mags, painted with gloss paint (Small).jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 18 KRG W3 T3 modified skeleton inlet to accept TRG mag. TRG Butt. (Small).jpg
    18 KRG W3 T3 modified skeleton inlet to accept TRG mag. TRG Butt. (Small).jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 19 KRG W3 T3 modified skeleton to suit TRG mags, painted with gloss paint, fitted in KRG T3 W3 a.jpg
    19 KRG W3 T3 modified skeleton to suit TRG mags, painted with gloss paint, fitted in KRG T3 W3 a.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 20 KRG W3 T3 skeleton and unmodified TRG forend on Tikka T3. TRG bipod. (Small).jpg
    20 KRG W3 T3 skeleton and unmodified TRG forend on Tikka T3. TRG bipod. (Small).jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 55
pics 20-25

Attachments

• 20 KRG W3 T3 skeleton and unmodified TRG forend on Tikka T3. TRG bipod. (Small).jpg
    20 KRG W3 T3 skeleton and unmodified TRG forend on Tikka T3. TRG bipod. (Small).jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 21 TRG modified forend to suit fitment to KRG T3 W3 and using TRG bipod (Small).jpg
    21 TRG modified forend to suit fitment to KRG T3 W3 and using TRG bipod (Small).jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 53
  • 22 KRG W3 T3 skeleton and TRG butt,  modified TRG forend on Tikka T3. TRG bipod below view, note.jpg
    22 KRG W3 T3 skeleton and TRG butt, modified TRG forend on Tikka T3. TRG bipod below view, note.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 23 Modified TRG forend to suit KRG T3 W3 and TRG bipod. This pic with TRG stock on Tikka T3 and .jpg
    23 Modified TRG forend to suit KRG T3 W3 and TRG bipod. This pic with TRG stock on Tikka T3 and .jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 24 KRG T3 W3 butt on TRG w TRG trigger, TRG mag and fore end (Small).jpg
    24 KRG T3 W3 butt on TRG w TRG trigger, TRG mag and fore end (Small).jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 53
pics 26-29

Attachments

• 26 STD TRG double stack mag with 10x .260Rem 123gn Nosler Custom Competition suited 10 thou off .jpg
    26 STD TRG double stack mag with 10x .260Rem 123gn Nosler Custom Competition suited 10 thou off .jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 27 Tikka T3 .260Rem in KRG T3 W3 chassis skeleton, SAKO TRG forend and butt and TRG mag. EGW 0 M.jpg
    27 Tikka T3 .260Rem in KRG T3 W3 chassis skeleton, SAKO TRG forend and butt and TRG mag. EGW 0 M.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 28 TRG with W3 T3 butt stock, T3 W3 mag release, AI 308 mag. TRG trigger. Note slop L to R with .jpg
    28 TRG with W3 T3 butt stock, T3 W3 mag release, AI 308 mag. TRG trigger. Note slop L to R with .jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 29 TRG with T3 W3 butt, TRG forend and AI 308 mag, T3 W3 mag release (Small).jpg
    29 TRG with T3 W3 butt, TRG forend and AI 308 mag, T3 W3 mag release (Small).jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 58
Immelmann, i have a trg trigger enroute. I have a tikka with w3. Which mag release would i use on the trg trigger guard to make ai mags work on my tikka? Krg, trg, modified trg or krg? I know massoud said i can pick one up from them, but if the lever just needs some trimmed off to work, i can do that. If the lever needs to be longer then i will need to get one from krg.

6brshooter, I would use the KRG T3 mag release that comes with the KRG T3 W3.
If you look at post #12, you'll see that the AI mag catch point is much higher, so I think you would need a longer mag release catch.
When I had the W3 T3 mag release fitted to the TRG trigger group and put a TRG magazine in, it wasn't secure due to the mag catch recess / bump difference. This would be on TRG and T3.

Also you'll love the TRG trigger. I can get mine to a mouse click but on quick bolt throw (being rough) you lose the first stage and it goes to about a 4kg trigger. Set to just under 1kg on the second stage is perfect for me (even lighter on the first stage) and you can be rough or gentle all day. Just don't ever install a TRG trigger into anything with the bolt in (sounds obvious but the captive bolt makes it easy and you have to move the safety out of the way to off to access the screw).

from Sako TRG user manual .pdf

Attachments

• Sako TRG Trigger IPB ZOOM (Small).jpg
    Sako TRG Trigger IPB ZOOM (Small).jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 29
It's been awhile since I've said this, but we love seeing guys modify our stuff to suit their exact needs and come up with cool new combinations. We try to help out where we can. Good job immelmann.
Justin

Reactions: DJL2
Thanks Justin, you guys at KRG definitely get it right, well done.
I am yet to use your TRG action wrench but when the .308WIN is shot out, it is there waiting. Also the KRG spigot mount is great but I am too converted on the TRG bipod (I used the spigot mount with a home made 3in forend to help my F-Class scores come up, but anything like benchrest doesn't suit me. I shot better with the bipod).
Thanks for the support.
Also if you are doing exactly as I have done and using two very similar calibres in very similar guns that even look the same, keep your bolt and ammo in different locked containers. It would be very easy to pick up a .260Rem round, load it into the same TRG / AI mag you use for the very similar looking and feeling .308WIN gun and put it into the wrong action.