• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

HOW-TO: Ultimate AR: Tired of chasing brass ???

Hellbender

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2008
Lebanon, Missouri
Get an old Weaver ring and grind off the excess and throw the top steel part away.

I used a piece of 1/16" thick Kydex, but any plastic will do.

Put the ring base in a location that will clear everything and be easy to get to the thumbscrew on the offside.

Cut the plastic to fit, and screw it to the base, I used the stock Weaver screws, the angle of the base screw location holds the plastic at the correct angle.

I have a brass catcher, but it is a pain. This piles it in a neat little pile right beside the rifle.

They sell these premade for AR15's, but they have never worked very well for me, and the attachment screw never fits with my scope ring location. The premade ones don't work well on the large platform AR's, as they are too high.

Excuse the spots all over the gun, I haven't cleaned the mud off it from my last match!

Only downside I can tell is you will either need to trim your gun case foam to fit, or I just remove it before I put it in.

DSC00133.jpg

Offside where you remove it with the thumbscrew.....
DSC00134.jpg

DSC00135.jpg

DSC00136-1.jpg

Re: HOW-TO: Ultimate AR: Tired of chasing brass ???

Very nice. I have a set of rings i will now bastardize

Ingenious!!! I love my AR to death but hate dealing with the brass, and there was no way in hell you would find me with a bag attached to the side of it like a diaper. This is perfect, the brass will now be piling up on my shooting mat. Thanks for sharing your idea!!!

Thank you as a lefty I really can use that set of rings one for 223 and 308

Another method is to shorten the ejector spring sufficiently. Works well.

Casey,

This thing actually piles the brass directly under the ejection port, directly beside the rifle, in a neat pile about 10" around.

And even with spring tuning, the pile is usually at least 2-4 feet away (depending on your position), and the last round always goes wild, out of the pile.

At the last match, everyone beside me really appreciated it! (But they still griped about my muzzle brake)
laugh.gif

THANKS for the info, it's #1 on my to do list

If it shoots, drives FAST or has hair around it-- I'm into it

Good idea! I will be trying this little build this evening. Doesn't look bad either like a bag does.

Mick

This is an awesome idea. I gotta get to work! Thanks for the tip. I hate having that bag tied to my rifle, mentioned above, like a diaper.

to bad it wont work on a Larue mount in the way...

Is anything keeping you from extending it from in front of the mount in a longer "L" shape?
I usually just prop a range bag/assault pack up next to the ejection port side to control the collection but I'm a field expedient guy like that;)

That is a nice idea. Thanks for sharing it.

Nice
I just bought the lil velcro bag thingy cheaper than dirt sells
works like a champ

Damn good idea right there fellas!

The hell? Koreans have MSG90s? Shit. I'm jealous

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunsmithcat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The hell? Koreans have MSG90s? Shit. I'm jealous</div></div>
Airsoft.
smile.gif

Plus, her bipod is on backwards!

The shame!

Maybe you don't need to load up an airsoft?

But the deepest, darkest question I can't answer.....if their airsoft's are ejecting ANYTHING, brass or otherwise, they must be more ubercool tactical than OUR airsofts!

And louder, too, hence the need for unused earplugs!

Man i have a lifetime supply of BB caps. If it works use it. MM

I think the bipod is supposed to be backwards in Korea.

I'm stunned at the simplicity, but functionality, of the baseball hat haha It's one of those little things you see and go... "huh. Never thought of that"

On my list of things to do before the weekend. Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lukeed78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">tag </div></div>

You could also drape a towel over the scope. Doesn't work too well with iron sights though.

Very cool idea. I currently use the "towel over the scope" method. Will make one of these soon. Thanks for sharing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bear58</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very cool idea. I currently use the "towel over the scope" method. Will make one of these soon. Thanks for sharing. </div></div>

+1 on the towel method. American Defense mount does not allow room for the other.

Good idea.

I can almost hear Potterfield's fingers hitting the numbers on his phone to talk to his contact in China to get these into production.

I know that chick. She did a great job in Tokyo Hot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blfuller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You could use a baseball cap like this Taiwanese chick...
femalesnipergg6.jpg
</div></div>

Velcro strips stuck to the case deflector also work well to cushion and reduce the distance brass is ejected. It also helps to reduce brass damage.