• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How would you set up your range, if you had one?

Djstorm100

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2010
I'm have about 60ft wide berm and looking to set up some steel. I have some steel now but the way it is set up (basically a frame) with three pieces of steel. It works but the stands takes up so much space it is stupid. I'm looking to be able to take the steel down (when friends come over or having a conceal carry class) to put up paper pretty quickly or have them both up in a paper/steel/paper.

When I personally run drills with a close group of friends we will shoot 1/2 steel at 30-40yards and back. Yes it is not safe per say, but we never had a issue, also the steel have a steep angle down (30 degrees)

1/2" thick AR500 steel seem mandatory for close up work (.223/5.56).

I'm thinking about these stands/setup. Only downside is they don't have 1/2" Challenge Targets Steel - IPSC A Zone - Heavy Base with Target Holder - Handgun & Rifle Rated

Last edited:
I would stretch it to 50 or more, 75 better on steel with the carbines. If green tip, a bit further, even hot 55 grain ball will start to dimple steel at 30-40. Realistically, if you can place steel at 75 out, assuming it's in the range of 12x12" size. That way you can work on positional training, cover, turns, etc. Anything else like on the move, close quartered drills can be on paper. DO NOT shoot pistol on steel used by carbines, the dimples will cause splash back, very dangerous. An idea is to paint carbines steel one color and pistol another. If you can swing it, a covered area is nice to shoot from. While steel has it's benefits if used appropriately, insure to work in paper for certain things. Remember-you aim at paper and shoot at steel, take that for whats it's worth.

I would stretch it to 50 or more, 75 better on steel with the carbines. If green tip, a bit further, even hot 55 grain ball will start to dimple steel at 30-40. Realistically, if you can place steel at 75 out, assuming it's in the range of 12x12" size. That way you can work on positional training, cover, turns, etc. Anything else like on the move, close quartered drills can be on paper. DO NOT shoot pistol on steel used by carbines, the dimples will cause splash back, very dangerous. An idea is to paint carbines steel one color and pistol another. If you can swing it, a covered area is nice to shoot from. While steel has it's benefits if used appropriately, insure to work in paper for certain things. Remember-you aim at paper and shoot at steel, take that for whats it's worth.

Thanks for the info. I don't let green tip/ m855 on my range at all after I had a egg head shoot the hell out of one of my steel targets at 100 yards. His excuse was "I didn't know".

For steel that is mostly what we are doing is positional, working from one cover to the next. Inside/outside car.

but 3/8" thickness will not work, better to get 1/2"?

I shoot 55gr FMJ at 3/8" AR500 from 200yds all the time - no dimples at all. I've nailed the chain a few times and it cut through it like butter though.

I shoot 55gr FMJ at 3/8" AR500 from 200yds all the time - no dimples at all. I've nailed the chain a few times and it cut through it like butter though.

but how does it handle if you shoot it at 35-50 yards? That's what I'm trying to figure out.

I see. I'm no use there.. Personally I would never shoot .223 FMJ at steel that close. I have two scars from .45 plated ball from shooting steel at 10yds. One is on my forearm and the other is on my sternum. I'm overly careful about it now.

I would put Bloomberg at 100 yards with mayors against guns on the same berm. I would put Hillary at 200 with a few of her cronies. At the 300 yard mark I would put Harry Reid and Diane finkstein, then every 100 yards out to a 1000 I would but any other Constitution hating scum. I would keep a front end loader ready at all times to bury old targets and be ready to place new ones as they became available. Pretty soon other people would want a similar range and before you know it, it would be a great place to live again.

I would put Bloomberg at 100 yards with mayors against guns on the same berm. I would put Hillary at 200 with a few of her cronies. At the 300 yard mark I would put Harry Reid and Diane finkstein, then every 100 yards out to a 1000 I would but any other Constitution hating scum. I would keep a front end loader ready at all times to bury old targets and be ready to place new ones as they became available. Pretty soon other people would want a similar range and before you know it, it would be a great place to live again.

I work at Caterpillar so getting the front end loader is not a problem :)

We shoot 3/8 steel with rifles inside 100 yds all the time. If they are angled down to deflect the bullet or are able to move to absorb the impact they don't dimple. We have shot steel core 5.45 and 5.56 as well as 55gr 5.56 at 50 yards with no problems. YMMV

I've dimpled 3/8 AR500 under 100 yards. This was a IPSC steel target on a stand. The thickness of the steel wont have any effect on dimpling. The bullet is only deforming the surface. You may do better if it's hanging. Edge hits are going to chew your steel. Only really an issue for us because there was a heart swinger in the center so any near misses ate the hole up a bit in the front plate.