• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Howa 1500 Barreled Actions in .223 Discontinued

BillyNg

Private
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2009
Hartsdale, NY
My kids don't find shooting fun anymore. Living in the greater NYC area, I have to drive a little over an hour to get to our outdoor range and the rules and target options mean my kids can either punch paper slowly, or we can bust up some clays at the shotgun range which one of them likes but the other doesn't. So historically, we've just spent a lot of time at the .22LR range (we have a dedicated one) with their .22 rifles and punched paper. When I stepped up and ordered my SAC .308, my youngest (turning 11 on Thursday) thought he might like to join me in hitting things a bit farther away. Our range has a 200 and 300 yard center-fire range he wanted to try, but would need a gun to do so.

In an attempt to really get him engaged, I decided to build him a semi-custom rifle that he got to make some choices on. I had seen the KRG Bravo chassis and it seemly highly regarded, and I know that Howa had released a line of barreled actions that they were selling through Brownells. He got to pick his scope, the color of his chassis, the caliber, and the bipod. A few weeks ago, we ordered everything. KRG Bravo in tan, Howa 1500 short-action with 20" heavy barrel chambered in .223, Vortex DiamondBack Tactical 4-16x44, rings, 20MOA rail, scope bubble, Magpul bipod, and some cleaning supplies. Cool!

Almost everything came within days, except for the barreled action which Brownells indicated was back-ordered. Got an email on Saturday that my order was cancelled with no explanation. So I checked Brownells on Sunday and the item is still available, still listed as back-ordered, so I bought it again. Called today after lunch, and they informed me that my new order was already cancelled as well. Turns out that Howa has discontinued ALL of their .223 barreled action options. Called up Legacy Sports (the exclusive importer of Howa products), and they confirmed it - fudge!

No biggie, right? The barreled actions weren't a great savings/deal over buying an outright rifle anyways. Nope. Turns out that Howa doesn't offer a 'varmint' .223 (only want it for the heavy barrel) any more. Started scouring all of the Internets for anyone selling a heavy-barreled Howa .223 and found one up in Vermont new-in-box via Gun Broker. Its roughly the same cost as the barreled action I was buying anway, so no loss there. But it had me scared for a second that I'd have to return some things that we've opened up, put together, and played with quite a bit.

Long story. Sorry for the length. Just upset that Howa discontinued them.

Well that sucks. I really like the Howas as DIY project guns, but have to admit that they lost a fair amount of their appeal (to me) after the initial pricing "expired". Yeah, I get it, they're a superior platform to the R700 (in a lot of ways), but what really made them appealing to me was the low cost of entry. I bought two minis and a short action before the prices went up, and I'm glad I did... but I sure wish that I had bought more.

Anyhow, I can't help but wonder if the "regular" pricing of them hasn't led to volumes being lower than anticipated (especially after the initial rush when they hit the market), which in turn resulted in the killing off of certain slower-moving models.

There was better pricing? I have to admit I only started looking at them weeks ago and it is definitely a tough pill to swallow at ~$550 when I can get similar complete rifles for $400 and even under depending on brand.

What were they going for initially?

There was better pricing? I have to admit I only started looking at them weeks ago and it is definitely a tough pill to swallow at ~$550 when I can get similar complete rifles for $400 and even under depending on brand.

What were they going for initially?
I want to say that they were $250-ish initially, at least for some models.

Reactions: spife7980
Yeah they had multiple barrels and calibers under 3 bills when they first came out. Prices have gone up a lot. Sounds like you still were able to make a great little setup for the kiddo.

If you Google you can find a couple articles with the original prices. They have gone up a lot which I would guess is due to Brownells being the only supplier now.

I have a 20" Howa .308 that I took apart, ran my reamer through, checked tolerances, didn't have to make cuts on anything, and reassembled.

But I went with the Savage for my .223 trainer, and I'm glad I did.

I got a 26" heavy barrel, an oversized bolt knob, a stock with a full bedding block, adjustable cheek height/LOP, and more importantly, a full sized short action.

Out the door for a hair over $500 net of the rebate.

If at some point I want to do something else with it, I'm a barrel and a bolt away from a full sized caliber.