• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Howa 1500 or Ruger Predator

I have a similar problem, I have the opportunity to buy either one of these in 6.5 Creedmoor, both priced the same, both right out of the box basically 30-50 rounds through. Want it for hunting deer, moose, elk, but also wanting it to reach out to 500+ yds for coyotes, which one would be the better gun ??

I have a similar problem, I have the opportunity to buy either one of these in 6.5 Creedmoor, both priced the same, both right out of the box basically 30-50 rounds through. Want it for hunting deer, moose, elk, but also wanting it to reach out to 500+ yds for coyotes, which one would be the better gun ??
Howa

I like the Howa, but honestly if you're looking to reload, why choose the 223? Get a Howa 6.5 Grendel, reload and still shoot 1K yards. Reloading for the .223 doesn't make financial sense IMO.

I would buy the Howa in 6.5 Creedmoor.

Depends which model howa (barrel profile, threaded , which stock) vs the ruger predator. The predators bolt is not as smooth as the howa 1500 but smooths out after using. The predator comes with a threaded barrel and a flimsy stock, I changed the stock to magpul hunter and it really improved accuracy and feel of the gun.

So, to give you my opinion on which one to choose I would say depends what features the howa has? If you get the ruger and change the stock you have a very good rifle. My ruger predator in the magpul hunter stock is more accurate than my ruger precision (or I am more comfortable behind it and that helps with better groups). Its as accurate as my howa HCR which has a heavier profile barrel and chassis. If I were hunting I would take the ruger over my howa , lighter , shorter barrel same accuracy.

I love my Howa....was honestly an impulse buy, but I do enjoy it. Wound up with the American stock and ended up modifying the stock to fit a preferred 17" barrel. With the suppressor on the end it ended up looking quite cool. And the fact that it will flat out shoot is a huge bonus.