• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Howa 1500 to r700 threads.

Jscb1b

Dumbass.
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2018
Arizona
Can a howa 1500 action be re threaded to take r700 barrels?

I wouldn't trust it. The m26 major diameter of the howa is 1.023", which is larger than the minor of the r700 at 1.00". You would be using about half the nominal thread in the receiver.

Also, the pitch is different. The Howa is m26x1.5mm. The Remington is 1 - 1/6 x 16 tpi. The Remington pitch measures 1.588mm.

No, it won't work with anything like reasonable quality as a result. Chasing the Howa thread with your lathe geared to 16tpi would result in a pretty big mess inside your receiver.

Reactions: blues2o
What I was checking on is a remage conversion on a howa. Maybe a Howage?

The 16tpi tap thread pitch is close enough to 1.5 mm receiver thread that in 16 turns, the first tooth of the tap will have entered the metric thread, completely removed it, and come out the other side 😆

To make this actually work, your going to need a good Tig welder to completely weld up the existing thread, building up enough steel that the ID of the receiver can be re-bored to the correct diameter for the Remington thread.

Then, it'll need re-threaded, re-heat treated, and trued due to all the shit that warped during welding. Just a guess, but assuming you'll need local machine shops to do the work, the total cost if this project should be at least 2k$, probably more.

What I was checking on is a remage conversion on a howa. Maybe a Howage?

Perhaps you could talk someone into machining some barrel blanks with m26x1.5 threads, and making you a barrel nut. There's no reason the same thing as a Remage wouldn't work with metric threads.

This is what you seek

I thought he was joking! Holy shit, that actually exists.

Awesome find.

Reactions: Jscb1b
Sweet! Thank you!

Rolled across it a little while ago while trying to find a prefit for my buddies howa. Let me know if you order one. Curious to see what the lead times are and how it shoots

^^^ beat me to it.

Here is another option for a Howa prefit. I’ve been kicking around the idea of rebarreling my old Wby. vanguard with a slow twist 257 weatherby (same action as the howa 1500). Now that Berger seems to be on the verge of releasing a high bc .257 bullet I might have to get more serious about it.

The 16tpi tap thread pitch is close enough to 1.5 mm receiver thread that in 16 turns, the first tooth of the tap will have entered the metric thread, completely removed it, and come out the other side 😆

To make this actually work, your going to need a good Tig welder to completely weld up the existing thread, building up enough steel that the ID of the receiver can be re-bored to the correct diameter for the Remington thread.

Then, it'll need re-threaded, re-heat treated, and trued due to all the shit that warped during welding. Just a guess, but assuming you'll need local machine shops to do the work, the total cost if this project should be at least 2k$, probably more.

OK, not only NO, but FUCK NO. Sorry to be rude, but this idea is that fucking bad.

A gun at its most academic level is a pressure vessel. One that sees 10's of thousands of pounds of force and pressure exerted against it. The steels used to make these things are not trivial. They must be heat treated and tempered to deliver the hardness, tensile strength, and toughness required to manage this kind of load for tens of thousands of cycles.

A tig torch, no matter how well used, is not going to preserve this. Not even close. What your describing will completely alter the chemistry of the steel and that chemistry is very important.

It's a great way to put you and anyone in close proximity into the hospital once you go pulling the trigger.

I offer an alternative. One that I have done more than once to restore an action ruined by the BP process.

1. ID bore the receiver ring and thread mill it to 1-3/16-28 threads.
2. Turn a piece of pre hard, 36 Rockwell Chromoly and thread it to the same diameter and pitch.
3. Assemble the two. Screw the plug into the action. Use a high quality lock tite.
4. Bisect the seam, drill a hole axially, and install a single .0625" pin made of brass. Turn the pin a couple .001's larger than the hole so that its a press fit. Peen the top to cold forge it into the hole and exert pressure.
5. Now, machine the face. It blends the receiver, plug, and pin to a clean finish.
6. ID bore a hole to the internal diameter needed for whatever thread you are restoring the action to.
7. Threadmill the receiver and qualify it with a plug gauge of appropriate size, pitch, and thread class.
8. Add edge breaks, chamfers and a truncated thread lead as desired.

You're done. Action is restored, you didn't kill the heat treat, and it will work to the same standard as an unmolested one. I've done it more than once for people who had a bad experience with other shops. I've also used it to fix mistakes of my own.

The point to take from this is never, never, never go blazing away inside a receiver with TIG torch anywhere close to the lugs with the kind of heat that it would take to weld up the entire thread ring. That is how you make a bomb, hurt people, and ruin equipment.

Hope this helps.

C.

OK, not only NO, but FUCK NO. Sorry to be rude, but this idea is that fucking bad.

A gun at its most academic level is a pressure vessel. One that sees 10's of thousands of pounds of force and pressure exerted against it. The steels used to make these things are not trivial. They must be heat treated and tempered to deliver the hardness, tensile strength, and toughness required to manage this kind of load for tens of thousands of cycles.

A tig torch, no matter how well used, is not going to preserve this. Not even close. What your describing will completely alter the chemistry of the steel and that chemistry is very important.

It's a great way to put you and anyone in close proximity into the hospital once you go pulling the trigger.

I offer an alternative. One that I have done more than once to restore an action ruined by the BP process.

2. Turn a piece of pre hard, 36 Rockwell Chromoly and thread it to the same diameter and pitch.
3. Assemble the two. Screw the plug into the action. Use a high quality lock tite.
4. Bisect the seam, drill a hole axially, and install a single .0625" pin made of brass. Turn the pin a couple .001's larger than the hole so that its a press fit. Peen the top to cold forge it into the hole and exert pressure.
5. Now, machine the face. It blends the receiver, plug, and pin to a clean finish.
6. ID bore a hole to the internal diameter needed for whatever thread you are restoring the action to.
7. Threadmill the receiver and qualify it with a plug gauge of appropriate size, pitch, and thread class.

You're done. Action is restored, you didn't kill the heat treat, and it will work to the same standard as an unmolested one. I've done it more than once for people who had a bad experience with other shops. I've also used it to fix mistakes of my own.

The point to take from this is never, never, never go blazing away inside a receiver with TIG torch anywhere close to the lugs with the kind of heat that it would take to weld up the entire thread ring. That is how you make a bomb, hurt people, and ruin equipment.

Hope this helps.

C.

Sorry😆,

I thought I was obvious in my sarcasm/humor. I tried to be obvious when I stated that he would have to invest thousands into a 300$ receiver, and added the little laughing emoji thing.. there are plenty of shops capable of welding boring and re-heat treating receivers. It's not magic. If humans created it, humans can recreate it.

But doing it to a 300$ receiver 🤯

I'll try to be even more obvious in the future..

Last edited:

Hope this helps.

C.
Chad, isnt that exactly what they did on the show based in Louisiana I think??? The ones who kept building retarded machine guns with welds that looked like 50 yr old caulk dried out??
🤣

Reactions: Bender
The howa is not ready for a barrel yet. I've got a R700 in 6.5cm that might be. I was just thinking if you could do a remage, you could to a howage. McGowan does. That is what I was looking for.

Chad, isnt that exactly what they did on the show based in Louisiana I think??? The ones who kept building retarded machine guns with welds that looked like 50 yr old caulk dried out??
🤣

The ones that looked retarded, but didn't blow up? 😁

Didn't that guy turn out to be molesting his daughter or something?

I saw an wepisode where they mounted a Hispano Suiza 20mm gun from a Spitfire into a motorcycle sidecar in one episode. It was a conundrum. Retarded, but kinda badass too.

Just because something can be done, doesn't mean it's a good idea.

As ugly as that is, the shop that did it used nitrogen laser micro welding, and got away without even heat treating afterward.

Supposedly that gun has been in service since around 2017.

That said, it's still a bad idea. Not worth the risk.

Last edited: