• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Howa 308 to 300RSAUM Build?

seddo

Private
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2009
Gippsland, Australia
Hi guys,

I was playing around with the idea of seeing how cheap i could build a semi decent long range rifle and wanted to know hwat you guys think.

Howa Varmint Barreled Action in 308
ream it to 300 RSAUM and open up bolt face
B&S Tactical Medalist Stock

I dont need another rifle but you know how it goes, i just want one but need to get it without the wife cracking the shits so it has to be reasonably priced. The reason i picked the 300 RSAUM is i wont need to buy a new barrel, i understand brass might become hard to get but with a few hundred cases it will last me ages as it wont be the rifle i shoot. I wanted to go for a 284 or 7mmRM but with the extra cost of a barrel on top of the action it woudlne be worth the arguement with the wife. I can always rebarrel the 300 RSUAM to a 7 RSAUM when the barrel starts to go.

Does this happen to everyone while they are waiting for their rifles to come back from the gunsmith? Always thinking of the next build.........

Seddo

Re: Howa 308 to 300RSAUM Build?

bad idea. nope.. building anything on a Howa is a good idea.

but to be honest, i'd go for a new barrel, it will cost minimaly more than setting up and re chambering the howa barrel.
If you are set on re chambering the old barrel, find a smith who has experience of re chambering.

opening the bolt face is no problem, get the action trued while you are at it, and you also need to widen the feed ramp at its narrowest point where it goes through the lower lug, otherwise the wider cases get stuck.

Howa's are a great base for customising,
regards Pete

If thats the case i am better off building a 300WM or a 7mmRM. I just found a guy advertising a howa magnum action for $450. I will get some prices on a barrel, just means its now a future project unless i can butter up the wife.....

I'd rather shoot a 7-08,than the 300Shamwow. It's the most,for least and the Howa is a fine base platform.