• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes hows this for scope abuse..... Razor..

Ring

Rifle Instructor
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2009
Medina, Ohio
sites.google.com
gun in bag weigh 43 pounds, I was loading my car Saturday night for a match and set it on the side of my car.

the scope sits high out of the bag do to a suppressor on the rifle.
so I will go back in side to get more stuff and the rifle slides off the side of my car slamming 43 pounds straight down on top of the turret into the concrete floor. :(

its dented the top of the turret a little and when I spun it and got to about 6mil it got StIff and then it would loosen up again :(

so I tossed a spare in my bag in case I needed it

I checked 0 at the range the next morning and I was 1.5 Mills off

so I reset the Zero and did a quick tracking check
ran it up 8 mills and looked good.

used it for the rest of the day and was dead on out to 1025 yards for the longest shots

its a vortex I'm not surprised. I am surprised you lost your zero probably moved your rings. haha glad to here she took the abuse.

43 lbs.!!!! That's not just a rifle, it's a crew served weapon.......Where do you keep the wheels for it???

Glad the Razor came through OK....

I think he was saying that he checked the tracking on paper by zeroing it then dialing 8 mils and making sure poi was 8 mils.

Which scopes are better and reciol proof...Nightforce or Vortex??

the razor is is a class way higher then the pst's... i would say on par...but i will say this.. my buddy had to send his NXS in for a tracking issue.. it was 3+ months before he got it back..

i sent my razor in for a turret swap and check up, 4 days....

That is a testament to their quality, for sure. I had something similar happen, but it was a rifle in the hood of my truck, someone moved my truck a few inches forward and 18 lbs of rifle and optics fell onto large rocks elevation turret first. There was a little cosmetic damage, scope was .8 mils off at 500 yds, it was a USO. Many of us buy optics that will take heavy abuse but they often see a life of pampering, its nice to know your gear can take a knock and still function as nothing happened.

I had a similar experience when mine fell off a table onto tile floor while cleaning. Landed right on the top turret and dinged it good. Everything functioned fine, shot it at the range and it was only off .3 mils.
I would put them on every rifle I own if weight was not an issue. Awesome scopes.

UPDATE: on this... since i have a big match coming up soon, and some down time right now, i decided to send it in for a full tracking and zero check up from my oops...

i USPS'ed it to then 8/17
tracking said they got it on 8/19
they send me a shipping notice, that its done and on the way back as of 8/22..
tracking says ill have it monday...

ill put what they found when i get it back

I'm still impressed it tracked well enough to put you on target out to 1000 even after "smooshing" your turret :) glad vortex got you fixed up quickly, no doubt they wouldn't...

turret assembly replace, cleaned & purged...

done in 3 days....

looks like a smooshed something with all the weight impacting the concrete.. :(

Ring, Thanks for the blow by blow report on Vortex cust.serv. Researching what scope to buy and the Razor is up top. your post helped. RJN