• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing how's this rate on the redneck scale?

300sniper

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2005
Greenwood, Ca
boltknobcoating3.jpg

boltknobcoating6.jpg

boltknobcoating4.jpg

boltknobcoating7.jpg

obviously i'm not married but i wonder if i can talk my girlfriend into coming over and cleaning my oven
grin.gif

Re: how's this rate on the redneck scale?

hey people can say what they want, if it works it works. lol thats good, i wouldnt cook food in that oven

That definitely fits very well on the redneck scale for sure.
Class idea to get a good uniform flow of paint. The oven bit, I wouldnt worry too much about. I am married and a word of advice, your future wife will have no problem doing any of this stuff but you need to get her well trained before you splash out on the ring. My Mrs is the only one Id allow in to clean up the workshop after I mess the whole place up. You MUST start them off early and train them correctly from day 1.

close, but not quite. Your drill probably works and it might even be yours. No beer cans in sight. And no ribs cookin in the oven.

Good thinkin though, like it when a plan comes together..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: __JR__</div><div class="ubbcode-body">close, but not quite. Your drill probably works and it might even be yours. No beer cans in sight. And no ribs cookin in the oven.

Good thinkin though, like it when a plan comes together.. </div></div>

cracked my first beer as soon as the oven door closed. the oven doesn't get much use this time of year since it's grilling season. i'm not scared to cook in it the day after i cure moly-resin in it though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mikki</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You MUST start them off early and train them correctly from day 1. </div></div>

i haven't done a load of laundry since i met my girlfriend
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dang Cletus, sure you aint from Luzianna </div></div>

nah, my accent isn't nearly as funny as yours
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dang Cletus, sure you aint from Luzianna </div></div>

nah, my accent isn't nearly as funny as yours
grin.gif
</div></div>

Accent............what accent

Kitchen appliances are wonderful for projects:

When I was in high school (some decades ago), my mom came home and found her:
- dishwasher full of my clean hand tools (nothing is better at washing out deep sockets).

On another occasion, I was having a time assembling a differential, and she found:
- freezer had a differential carrier (had to shrink a few thousanths)
- oven was on with a ring gear (had to expand a few thousanths)

Amazingly, she was not perturbed, but was impressed with my ingenuity.

I convinced most girlfriends that kitchen appliances are for more than "just cooking".

ok i hate to be the one to say it but FAIL! not one bit of duct tape man? not even a bit of bailing wire? lol, still a good use of whats available. i chucked up a .38 case and held a saw blade against it to make my bolt lift kit in my savage. gotta make use of whats on hand

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok i hate to be the one to say it but FAIL! not one bit of duct tape man? not even a bit of bailing wire? lol, still a good use of whats available. i chucked up a .38 case and held a saw blade against it to make my bolt lift kit in my savage. gotta make use of whats on hand</div></div>

nah bailing wire's been replaced with zip ties, c'mon its 2010 man

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mikki</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That definitely fits very well on the redneck scale for sure.
Class idea to get a good uniform flow of paint. The oven bit, I wouldnt worry too much about. I am married and a word of advice, your future wife will have no problem doing any of this stuff but you need to get her well trained before you splash out on the ring. My Mrs is the only one Id allow in to clean up the workshop after I mess the whole place up. You MUST start them off early and train them correctly from day 1. </div></div>
so true mike, when i met the old hide she came over to the apartment and i had a beer can pyramid of empties on every wall, a engine block on the coffee table, a tanning deer hide in the "guest room", and a freezer full of venison as the only provisions. you gotta break um in right so that literally anything seems like theyve "improved" you. this makes them feel warm and fuzzy and theyll do anything for you then. she dont say a word about bedding a rifle on the kitchen table or reloading in the den now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok i hate to be the one to say it but FAIL! not one bit of duct tape man? not even a bit of bailing wire? </div></div>

i got zip-ties, man. zip-ties.
grin.gif

Redneck's mothers are usually way more tolerant than Redneck's wives. Got to love them Redneck mothers the stories I could tell about what my mother would let me get away with compared to my wife is legendary. Such as casting bullets in the kitchen.

you guys will love my rotary tumbler/deburring machine made from an old clothes dryer and a couple 5 gallon buckets. i'll post pictures of it when i get it done.

About 6 yrs ago i rebuilt my 1973 FLH painted the cases, jugs and transmission case, put them in the oven. Perfect place to do it, wife didn't have anything good to say to me for weeks when she came home and found transmission case in HER oven.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you guys will love my rotary tumbler/deburring machine made from an old clothes dryer and a couple 5 gallon buckets. i'll post pictures of it when i get it done.</div></div>

You'll score more redneck points if you back the picture up and show that the clothes dryer is in your front yard, next to a car on blocks and being powered by a hound dog on a treadmill. I am intregued.

Seems to work just fine but would give you a 10 also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">brownies are done.

boltknobcoating16.jpg

boltknobcoating15.jpg
</div></div> Can i shoot them out of a muzzleloader
grin.gif

LOL, I'd say you score pretty high. Gotta like that low tech but effective method.

I was just going to say the same thing. They sure look like a minie ball.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MAGUA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Can i shoot them out of a muzzleloader
grin.gif
</div></div>

i suppose you could try. i don't know how that would work out for you though
grin.gif

Nice ingenuity...whatever works...least your saving money for the important stuff like the guns for all those bolt knobs.

I will show mine one day. It has about 10 mounts and a rubber band serpentine drive belt. My drill switch is a zip tie over the trigger to keep it going while I spray.

lol

Nice set up.

Murphy's Laws of Combat - #29

"If it's stupid, but it works; it ain't stupid."
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">brownies are done.

boltknobcoating16.jpg

boltknobcoating15.jpg
</div></div>

What them is? They must be some old Minie balls you dug up. Must not hit nothin' cause they ain't got no sand on'em.

Redneck you say? I just think you found another way. I do think you need to have 23 or so beer cans and a pack of shiteaters under the drill for the proper motif. Be'in born in Louisiana and then moved to SE Georgia and finally endin' up in The Lowcountry of SC helps me spot what a redneck is capable of at a glance. I give it a solid 7.2!

I want to take pictures of some of the calls I go on just so I can publish it someday. Folks get pissed if you ask to take pics of the shitholes they live in
laugh.gif
!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you guys will love my rotary tumbler/deburring machine made from an old clothes dryer and a couple 5 gallon buckets. i'll post pictures of it when i get it done. </div></div>

Oh wow thats one hell of an idea and a easy/cheap solution to tumbling parts. Do you put the media and parts in the buckets then put them in the dryer?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bryan27</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you guys will love my rotary tumbler/deburring machine made from an old clothes dryer and a couple 5 gallon buckets. i'll post pictures of it when i get it done.</div></div>

You'll score more redneck points if you back the picture up and show that the clothes dryer is in your front yard, next to a car on blocks and being powered by a hound dog on a treadmill. I am intregued. </div></div>

You left out the half buried tractor tires painted white marking the driveway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: harleymann02</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you guys will love my rotary tumbler/deburring machine made from an old clothes dryer and a couple 5 gallon buckets. i'll post pictures of it when i get it done. </div></div>

Oh wow thats one hell of an idea and a easy/cheap solution to tumbling parts. Do you put the media and parts in the buckets then put them in the dryer? </div></div>

basically, one bucket gets bolted to the back of the dryer drum. the next bucket gets the parts and media and a lid is put on. the second bucket gets shoved into the first bucket and the dryer motor fired up.

my dryer has been stripped of all unnecessary electronics. all that remains now is the motor and a switch. the first bucket should have holes drilled in it to keep the second bucket from vacuum locking in. the second bucket will also get some long carriage bolts bolted in from the bottom to help agitate the media and parts while rotating.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: harleymann02</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you guys will love my rotary tumbler/deburring machine made from an old clothes dryer and a couple 5 gallon buckets. i'll post pictures of it when i get it done. </div></div>

Oh wow thats one hell of an idea and a easy/cheap solution to tumbling parts. Do you put the media and parts in the buckets then put them in the dryer? </div></div>

basically, one bucket gets bolted to the back of the dryer drum. the next bucket gets the parts and media and a lid is put on. the second bucket gets shoved into the first bucket and the dryer motor fired up.

my dryer has been stripped of all unnecessary electronics. all that remains now is the motor and a switch. the first bucket should have holes drilled in it to keep the second bucket from vacuum locking in. the second bucket will also get some long carriage bolts bolted in from the bottom to help agitate the media and parts while rotating. </div></div>

Hey there's nothing Redneck about that just a practical/cheap solution and probably works just as well as and expensive tumbler, heck probably uses less power as well can't beat that. McGuyver would be impressed im sure.

i can't take credit for the clothes dryer/deburing machine idea. i saw it done on another forum. i did happen to have an old washer and dryer sitting in my yard for the last couple years though.
grin.gif

Begging your pardon...the dryer (and washer) should be on the front porch. Engine blocks go in the yard. JMHO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Begging your pardon...the dryer (and washer) should be on the front porch. Engine blocks go in the yard. JMHO </div></div>

i have old appliances and car parts in the back yard. the front yard has my 5 vehicles (will be 6 vehicles by this weekend)
grin.gif