• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

HS Precision stock stability

pre64marksman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2010
Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
I've searched high and dry for info on stock flex messing with accuracy in HS stock. I've found only two references on the possible problem. The owner of Shillen Rifles spoke about HS stocks being too flexible in the forend. The other reference I found with more detail was a long ago discussion on "HS precision verses McMillan" from the Highroad forum. I don't know if its allowed to give out a sign-in name from another forum so I left that out. Its possible and highly likely that the same individual is also a member here on the Hide.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-style: italic">
"Potential accuracy is much greater with McM & Manners, due to the increased rigidity making them much less grip and position sensitive, and felt recoil is greater with HS stocks. My 6.5-300 Weatherby is a long range 3/8 moa rifle that can be made to shift point of impact 2" at 200 yards with cheek pressure alone on the HS varmint style stock it's in."

"I have several rifles in HS stocks that will perform to this level. My stock LTR .308 shoots this with FGMM 168s, as do several PSS models owned by friends, BUT, only when very carefully shot from a bench. As soon as we get into "real world usage" like hunting, varmint shooting, tactical matches, duty use, etc., the use of improvised positions and variations of rest, bipod, sling and stock pressure points kills it and we see a more realistic accuracy level of up to 1 moa from the same gun. They ARE flexible, too flexible. Better than other stocks on factory guns? Yes. Best there is? No, nor could they be expected to be for half the price."

"H-S Precision vs. McMillan-thehighroad.us</span>
http://www.thehighroad.us/showthread.php?t=391945</div></div>

Has Anyone had the same issue as mentioned in what I quoted regarding HS stocks? I personally have not had an issue when I have shot a 700VS with HS precision stock, but I was shooting off the same shooting bag every time I used it either in the field or on the range. I was not shooting it in hasty field positions with supposed inconsistant stock pressure, nor was I shooting beyond 500yds.I know only tactical models of HS stocks have the full length aluminum rail while other hunter models have aluminum block only the length of the action(meaning forend could possibly flex under extreme shooting conditions). Again no bad experiance on my part.

Considering the success Army snipes have had with m24-m24a2 etc, It can't be much of an issue, And no I don't think Army snipers are "lighter touch" on their stocks than Marine snipers. I know a lot of Army snipers use the harris bipod with the M24. Its possible the bipod makes the HS stock more consistant pressure-wise although I feel the opposite would be true-that if you wanted less forend flex you ditch the bipod. Anyway I'll quit rambling.

Re: HS Precision stock stability

I got a great laugh out of it. I shoot my rifle off the ground with a rear bag while loading the bi-pod or slung into a TIS sling. Whoever wrote that is full of shit. Must be a marketing guy…

you know after, or rather while i was bedding my HS, i noticed that the front stock was flexing really easily too. i guess we can do what people do to the cheap tupperware and mill out a slot and drop in some channel or angle and epoxy that into the stock, but unless they run full length, i just see the point of flexing just moving back towards the bedding block. when i press down on the tip of the forend, where is the pivot point so to speak? its not as if it flexes in the middle alot. ive been thinking about this since i bedded it.

I've been running a 700, 300wm in a HS precision for years and have never noticed a problem with it. It shoots 1/2 moa and POI remains constant no matter how hard a ram my cheek into it.
+1 for Boone, sounds like some BS to me

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got a great laugh out of it. I shoot my rifle off the ground with a rear bag while loading the bi-pod or slung into a TIS sling. Whoever wrote that is full of shit. Must be a marketing guy…</div></div>

+1

never really noticed the stock flexing before. if it does, accuracy sure hasn't given any indication of it from my HTR

The only issue I can imagine would be if the barrel touched the fore-arm the stock when the rifle was fired. This could change the harmonics of the barrel and shift your POI I believe. That said, the only stock I ever had that trouble with was the plastic black stock I put on my SSG and was shooting on a hot Florida afternoon off a bipod. The weight of the rifle combined with the hot, sunny day and black stock actually caused the fore-arm to become soft enough that it flexed and the barrel was resting on it. Changed a sub-moa gun into a 1.5moa gun... but only for that day.

I havent noticed any stability issues with my stock. its pretty darn solid.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seaaggie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I havent noticed any stability issues with my stock. its pretty darn solid. </div></div>

+1

No problems here. My HS is my first after market stock I like the fit, feel, and performance enough that I will have a hard time spending more on another after market for any other rifle.

I've never had a forarm touching the barrel either, I've seen barrel channels close to barrel on one side, but that's an easy fix. When I've dinged the rifle against something hard while carrying it, It felt like the stock would bend very slightly, but I've never had a stock bend dramatically especially during firing. Possibly if the seating of action in block is not that great, there could be stress on the action and pressure on the stock may hurt accuracy possibly, but speculation on my part, I have nothing to back that up. If the actions have a good fit I doubt there will be a problem-and I'm a proponent that what ever the stock, a good glass bed is better than none. I know that may void warrenty on HS stocks, but I believe whether its HS, B&C, McMillan, laminated wood, all do best with glass bedding, the reciver should be real secure and free of stress in the stock.

The only critisism I have is the outer shell seems real thin,(see crossection forarm closeup http://www.hsprecision.com/shop/rifles/tactical/htr.html). Though I've never heard of one cracking through to the inner foam. I mean unless someone is being an a-hole pounding on the stock with a hammer, the shell will prabably resist breakage. The story of driving over a cased M24 at Ft Benning and the rifle suvived, well the case probably helped. I would wager the stock would crack if driven over directly cause that shell is really thin. My understanding is the inital idea for HS stocks was to keep them light, the alum block would give the rigidity. The thin shell is probably a lot stronger than I percieve and the thinness is meant to be light. But I doubt it could handle a heavy weight applied. If stock is accidently pinched between a striker and a wall, the stock might get cracks in it(and maybe rifle still shootable?)

They seem to work fine on the 'ol M24 that the army has been carrying and abusing for some years.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 18Echo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They seem to work fine on the 'ol M24 that the army has been carrying and abusing for some years..... </div></div>
I hear ya, I've read about guys getting angry about the possibility of m110 replacing m24(though I don't know if that was ever the intent). Anyway all the growling reminded me of when you try to take a hambone away from a dog. The guns have served well. I think there were mainly issues with stocks purchased aftermarket rather than purchased on a factory rifle. And the problems were from a time when QC was bad for the company. Its not an excuse, all stocks whether on a factory rifle or aftermarket purchase should be quality for the money spent, but the factory Remys and the military and police rifles have all been really good.

Anyone know off hand what the buttstock swivel stud goes into? I know that some stocks have an aluminum plate between the fiberglass shell and the delrin spacer, does the alum go into the butt more and the stud thread into that or is it just in the foam? I've been corrected that the front studs thread into aluminum section in the forend

I have used 3 different HS stocks. Have not had any problems.

Have several HS stocks and they are very good and much lighter than the McMillan stocks I have. I think the McMIllan may be a little better but I can't justify spending double what it cost for the HS. I don't think they are twice as good as the HS for by any means.

Wikipedia said what I think is total BS regading the M24.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M24_Sniper_Weapon_System
(I know I shouldn't get my panties bunched over wikipedia)

Its the part below about the stock absorbing water that made me laugh. I've never had an issue with rain when hunting with a Remy VS. I never had to wring my stock out after snow or rain. I could be wrong but I highly doubt any Army shooter has had to deal with moisture soaking into foam core!
One other nitpick is I don't believe the Army ever wanted to replace all the fixed power M3 scopes with the variable LR M3s used on M110. Sure those scopes have made it on some M24s in the field but I highly doubt it was ever issued for the m24. The article claims variable m3 issue on M24s since 1998.

Quote from wikipedia
"Stock: H-S Precision PST-11 stock. The stock secures the barrel via an aluminum bedding block to keep it rigid. A twin-strut extension that pulls out of the butt is adjustable for a 2-inch [50.8mm] length-of-pull. This is effected by a thick wheel on a central grooved pillar for adjusting the length and a thin locking ring behind it locks the thick wheel in place. The latter is notorious for failing, causing the extension to slide back and forth. Also a styrofoam core designed to reduce the stock's weight would absorb water if it was carried in the rain or soaked in a stream or river, making the weapon heavy and unbalanced."

Oh yeh, I know the lock wheel on the stock doesnt stay in place but I believe the friction of the adjust wheel allows the stock to stay fairly in place. Ive heard of locktite helping to keep everything exact though I would say the Army would have been better off not having that mechanical adjust.