• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing HS Precision Swivel Studs

Gene Poole

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2011
Brighton, IL
Anyone know where I can get some swivel studs for a HS Precision stock? The ones I've seen at Brownells, etc. are all 10-32. These are a coarser pitch; probably 10-24.

Re: HS Precision Swivel Studs

Call HS Precision?
crazy.gif

Sorry, if I'm not much help here, but this was my experience and solution...

I tried to find their special swivel studs when mine broke, no one has them, and hs precision sent 10-32's out. Thanks...

It is a 10-24 thread, and this pitch breaks much more easily than a 10-32, the thread is so coarse that small side loads cause them to break. My suggestion (and what I did) is that they be replaced with the 10-32 swivels or larger. I'm making an assumption that a stud was lost, or broke. I lost one because they unscrew really easily, and broke the one that the bipod was clamped to because it couldn't take the bipod load.

If I remember right, the front stud is still within the aluminum chassis, the thread is tapped into the chassis. But, it may have a T insert (stamped sheet metal) instead. In any case, I drilled and tapped the front stud for a 1/4-20 thread and made my own swivel stud, nice and sturdy.

The rear insert was definitely a T-insert bonded within the stock, and the thin walls got blown out when I tried to tap it larger. So I removed the old T insert and ended up making a large hole in the stock getting it out. Then, I made a long threaded insert adapter from 1/2-13 threaded stock with a 10-32 screw hole tapped in the center and drilled and tapped the stock for the 1/2-13 adapter insert, then bonded it into place. Then, bondoed the damage to the stock. So, the stock looks like crap and someday I'll paint it.

Several years later I installed grov-tec quick disconnects sockets on the side for the sling, and only use the front 1/4-20 swivel stud for the bipod.

I had the same problem. I called Hs direct and got a couple of free replacements. About as easy as it could get.

I've had great experience with HS customer service. Give them a call and they should be able to square you away.