• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Hunting...6 Creedmoor or 6.5 Creedmoor???

boisepaw

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2020
Queenstown, MD
I’ve never hunted but might start. Deer or perhaps elk maximum.

On an earlier thread about hunting calibers everyone was talking about much larger loads. Does anyone use either a 6 Creedmoor or 6.5 Creedmoor?

What is the largest animal one could humanely take with those calibers?

And what starter rifles should are out there? Ruger American Predator? Something else?

If Elk or even larger deer are on the menu, no question that the 6.5 is a better choice. But to be honest, if I was hunting Elk I'd choose a .30 cal for that, and then pick up another lighter rifle too, but the 6.5 will get the job done with good bullets and if you limit your range.

Starter rifles, I'm a fan of the Tikka T3X Lite. I prefer the stainless myself.

Here's my example: This fall I will hunt Elk, Whitetail, Antelope, and hopefully Black Bear. I will use a 300 Win Mag when hunting Elk. Probably a 6.5 Creed for Antelope and Deer, maybe a .308 for some hunts because it's light and easy to carry. For Black Bear - probably the .308.

I cant speak for the 6 MM Cm, but I have taken a lot of game, deer, antelope even elk with the 6.5 CM.

I use the Hornady 143 ELD X, but I'm thinking of going to Sierras 130 Game Changer for deer and antelope. It shoots good in all my 6.5s (4 of them). My granddaughter killed two antelope last fall with the 130s and I was impressed. I'll stick to 143s for elk.

I have killed a ton of critters with both. Biggest hog so far is 340 with the 6 and 290 with the 6.5. If they kill trophy sized hogs they will kill an elk.

For elk 6.5 will do the job if you use the right bullet and put it in the right spot and know your limitations. But I would strongly suggest something in the .284cal (7mm). For deer either you mentioned will be fine.

I have killed a ton of critters with both. Biggest hog so far is 340 with the 6 and 290 with the 6.5. If they kill trophy sized hogs they will kill an elk.
That sir is the biggest bunch of pig shit I've heard in a while. Myself and several I know have killed hundreds of pigs with 22 magnums and such. I killed one at a few steps with a 22 pistol. I would never shoot an elk with either. That kind of thinking is why so many of you flatlanders come out west and wound elk with bullets you've killed tons of smaller game like deer and pigs with.

6.5 prc is like a souped up creedmoor. On paper you’re looking at 200 fps increase but a few guys I’ve seen are actually pushing 31-3200 with 130’s

For West Virginia whitetails, we have shot a few with 130 bergers in my 6.5x47 (sameish as 6.5crd) that flattened them nicely. .243Win (samish as 6cm) works great on deer here too. I as well as my daughters have had several bang flops with that caliber. So many fantastic bullets to choose from with bonded construction now that will do a great job for you in either caliber. Still no replacement for the right shot placement..
Brien

That sir is the biggest bunch of pig shit I've heard in a while. Myself and several I know have killed hundreds of pigs with 22 magnums and such. I killed one at a few steps with a 22 pistol. I would never shoot an elk with either. That kind of thinking is why so many of you flatlanders come out west and wound elk with bullets you've killed tons of smaller game like deer and pigs with.
Yep
Even worse I've seen some freaking idiots from here in Idaho posting on another forum about how a 6.5 PRC is good for elk at 1200 yards.
If the dumb ass ran the ballistics he'd see that there's no way in hell he'd even get reliable expansion with a 143 ELDX at those impact velocities.
I love long range shooting and hunting, but I'm afraid it's popularity is going to be the demise of our sport

Yep
Even worse I've seen some freaking idiots from here in Idaho posting on another forum about how a 6.5 PRC is good for elk at 1200 yards.
If the dumb ass ran the ballistics he'd see that there's no way in hell he'd even get reliable expansion with a 143 ELDX at those impact velocities.
I love long range shooting and hunting, but I'm afraid it's popularity is going to be the demise of our sport
Yep, I have family from Idaho (wife's) their guns shoot further and faster than anybody no matter what caliber you compare it to. Not to mention there '79 stock ram charger piece of shit trucks will pick the front wheels off the ground it has so much horsepower (though I never saw it happen). O' and their stock crotch rockets will run a 4 second 1/4 mile no matter how many times you show them John Forse barely does it in a fucking funny car. I've learned just to bite my tongue and move on. You want to know what is really funny, I'm from the south but had worked in ID for a couple of years when I met my wife. I had a good hunting spot, I killed an elk there 9 years in a row. When we moved to CO, some of her family ask me would I mind if they started hunting my spot. Hell, it was public land so I said sure. It just always struck me as funny these guys were born and raised there and had to ask a redneck to show them a good spot.

The 6.5 creemore over the 6creed for big game like elk and deer took a wildebeest with a 140 grain eldm in South Africa and it went down quick even for long range hunting it packs quite a punch drops animals in their tracks out to 800

Stick with the 30 cal for elk. 6.5 or 6 is plenty for deer and speed goats (at least here in the west)

Start with the 6.5 creed. Tons of great ammo available, most factory rifles are twisted properly (8 twist) and most rifles are pretty accurate.
Then if you go elk hunting you can add another new rifle - always use the old “I need to buy a rifle for elk” reason with she who must be obeyed...

6 CM has filled the freezer the last 2 years. It will continue to do so in the coming years.

That sir is the biggest bunch of pig shit I've heard in a while.

I am from MT, and have had the chance to kill and be involved in some type of scenario that resulted in a dead elk more than most folks. Lots of different calibers, with varying results. I have seen them run off after being shot with .300 winnies, and I have seen them drop stone dead with a .243. I have killed quite a few cows with my 6's and 6.5s, not a bull (I mostly archery hunt for bulls). I keep my ranges under about 550 for the 6s and 6.5s for elk, and always aim behind the shoulder and go for a double lung impact. I actually feel more confident in my 6s and 6.5s at those ranges because they are the calibers I shoot most often and can easily spot my hits (or misses) when shooting suppressed. Important thing to remember when shooting the smaller calibers at larger games is to keep your ranges reasonable and that you are not packing the kinetic energy the larger calibers do. And be sure to get into a scenario that will give you a double lung impact.

I have said it before, but my version of what I consider to be my effective range has actually decreased since I started shooting competitively. I have rarely "needed" to take a shot over 500 yards, and when I can I just try to get as close as possible without spooking them. I have seen far too many people packing around some gigantic magnum they shoot once a year at a paper plate and assume they are good to go since it's an ultra mag, win mag, or whatever overbore is the latest and greatest. Compared to other animals, an elks vitals at even 400-500 yards are probably about 3-4 MOA. All things being equal, I would take the guy with some competency in a smaller caliber than someone who rarely shoots their "elk gun". I think a 6.5 variant you can shoot well is plenty of gun for an elk, just practice enough to be able to put two 6.5ish holes through both lungs...

Reactions: Alchemy
I am from MT, and have had the chance to kill and be involved in some type of scenario that resulted in a dead elk more than most folks. Lots of different calibers, with varying results. I have seen them run off after being shot with .300 winnies, and I have seen them drop stone dead with a .243. I have killed quite a few cows with my 6's and 6.5s, not a bull (I mostly archery hunt for bulls). I keep my ranges under about 550 for the 6s and 6.5s for elk, and always aim behind the shoulder and go for a double lung impact. I actually feel more confident in my 6s and 6.5s at those ranges because they are the calibers I shoot most often and can easily spot my hits (or misses) when shooting suppressed. Important thing to remember when shooting the smaller calibers at larger games is to keep your ranges reasonable and that you are not packing the kinetic energy the larger calibers do. And be sure to get into a scenario that will give you a double lung impact.

I have said it before, but my version of what I consider to be my effective range has actually decreased since I started shooting competitively. I have rarely "needed" to take a shot over 500 yards, and when I can I just try to get as close as possible without spooking them. I have seen far too many people packing around some gigantic magnum they shoot once a year at a paper plate and assume they are good to go since it's an ultra mag, win mag, or whatever overbore is the latest and greatest. Compared to other animals, an elks vitals at even 400-500 yards are probably about 3-4 MOA. All things being equal, I would take the guy with some competency in a smaller caliber than someone who rarely shoots their "elk gun". I think a 6.5 variant you can shoot well is plenty of gun for an elk, just practice enough to be able to put two 6.5ish holes through both lungs...
I agree with this 100%. I'd add that the same hunter (with average experience) will be more accurate with a 6 or 6.5 over a magnum. They might think they don't flinch and pull shots with the magnum, but they usually do. So the increased "stopping power" of a magnum is offset by the reduced accuracy of the shooter. Especially for someone new to hunting, there would be no hesitation to recommend a 6.5.

I’d say 6.5 creedmoor. Ammo available everywhere.

I use the Berger 135 gr game bullet in my 6.5. Very accurate and very deadly so far. I have used it on mule deer and pronghorns. Good luck.

Reactions: XTREM HTR16

I agree with you on the effectiveness of the 6.5 on elk at ranges inside of 600 yards, as long as the shot is absolutely perfect!
I've killed 4 bulls with my 6.5 saum, one was well beyond 800 and he didn't die with a perfect lung hit.
I found him bedded 45 minutes later breathing foamy lung blood, no good I'll never use it again beyond 600.
That's the main reason I switched to a 300 PRC last year, since I regularly shoot bulls beyond 700 yards