• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Hunting and farming jacket?

bob7-08

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2010
EU
Hello,

i m looking for a water resistant jacket and breathable i can use for working in my farm(raising cows,horses,timberwork..)when the weather is rainy and for hunting.
looking for a very abrasive resistant jacket,and not too warm .
i see tru spec ECWS gen 2,what do you think of it?

thank you

Re: Hunting and farming jacket?

I like WICK outdoor wear for hunting with my hounds in tuff conditions when I don't have to be quite.

yup the WICK stuff is great and affordable..... i like their froglegs esp. for wet condidtions...
bill larson

Thank you ,
do you have an adress to purchase it please,i search on google,it seems they are out of buisness..

i wear the ecwcs when we are calving, in the rain, snow, wind, workin em down the chute when shits gettin flung all over... you get the gist... i have some cheaper woodland camo for doing all this, my multicam ecwcs i used for the killing.

thank you skinney,
do you think the tru spec model is solid enough to work in the forest or i need a standard issu one?
for sure the multicam must be a great hunting color!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bob7-08</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thank you skinney,
do you think the tru spec model is solid enough to work in the forest or i need a standard issu one?
for sure the multicam must be a great hunting color! </div></div>
don't need the standard issue IMHO, my woodland camo is the gore-tex ecwcs, cheaper but works great, very durable, and will last a long time.

I don't know if you guys in the states can get them, but i swear by a jacket called the Swazi Tahr Anorak. They're made in New Zealand of 3 layers of gore-tex.

This is me wearing mine in the summer and winter:
DSC00472.jpg

Photo154.jpg

It's relatively thin, so in the summer i just wear a t-shirt under it, and in the winter some woollen layers. May work out quite pricey if you can get one, but I've been in mine most days for over 4 years now, so I'd say it's worth the investment.

I have been wearing one of these jackets for two years and love it. I raise cattle and own an ag service business, and this jacket is heavy enough for temps in the 20's and light enough to be worn on days in the 60's.

Jacket

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redirt78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nick, looks like you put in some work there. Nice

Tagged for some good jackets. </div></div>

Yeah I'd just finished dragging those 6 Red hinds down the hill to the guide that had taken me out. We dressed those 6 and then had to go find the other 4! Not bad for a mornings work!

Thank you guys for all these info,i finally buy a Napapijri coat and will order a tru spec ECWS multicam i 'll keep for hunting!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dzlfarmboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can anyone elaborate on the differences between the Gen1,2 & 3's of the Tru-spec ECWCS?

Thanks Brett </div></div>
nothing in the material, just a different design...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dzlfarmboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you know any of the differences? A guy at work had one and it seemed to be a pretty nice jacket, just not sure which Gen to get.

James you get my check? </div></div>
i would go gen III better design IMHO... got your check you should be getting the DVD anytime!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dzlfarmboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you know any of the differences? A guy at work had one and it seemed to be a pretty nice jacket, just not sure which Gen to get.</div></div>

I don't like the hood on the Gen I. It's got an elastic strip on each side of your face that holds it tight...but it's too tight for me.
Gen I has flat or level pockets on the front.

The Gen II has a hood that can be rolled into the collar.
Gen II has angled pockets that are easier to get your hands into.

Gen I can be found for $20-$40 but only comes in the "older" colors.
Gen II can be $80-120 but there is that ever so spiffy Multicam.

The only Gen III that I have seen is from ADS and it's expensive enough that I haven't researched it much.
I'm sure other places have their own version of GEN III, but ADS is all I have seen.

I do not believe Tru-Spec makes an ECWCS coat/jacket in Gen III, they only do the under-layers like thermal and microfleece.

DZL,
my gen III is ADS, and it is spendy as hell but worth it IMHO, but like i said great design... "IF" you didn't want to spend the $$$ i would go with a gen II if you wanted the shell layer which is level 6, i have that as well, in multicam and woodland, works great.

Skinny/Cbass

What places do you all order from? I'd like to get a GenII set. I see tons of places to buy from, but just wondering who you all buy from?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trevor300wsm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Skinny/Cbass

What places do you all order from? I'd like to get a GenII set. I see tons of places to buy from, but just wondering who you all buy from? </div></div>
i got my multicam gen II Level VI from natchez about two years ago, buddy in the military gave me a couple pair of woodland gen I ecwcs...I decided to go with my ADS gen III Level V's because they are a soft shell, and i hate the loud ass noise the level VI's make, definitely don't wear them callin, unless you can walk like a corn cob is up your rear so they don't rub.

http://www.adsinc.com/catalog/apparel/clothing-systems/gen-iii-ecwcs-level-v-top

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trevor300wsm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Skinny/Cbass

What places do you all order from? I'd like to get a GenII set. I see tons of places to buy from, but just wondering who you all buy from? </div></div>
Got my Gen II from Natches as well. EASILY the best deal I found, but sizes can be tough to come by.
Got my Gen I off Ebay a few years back.

Skinny

How big a guy are you? What size GenIII set do you wear?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nick Simmons</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know if you guys in the states can get them, but i swear by a jacket called the Swazi Tahr Anorak. They're made in New Zealand of 3 layers of gore-tex.

DSC00472.jpg

Photo154.jpg

It's relatively thin, so in the summer i just wear a t-shirt under it, and in the winter some woollen layers. May work out quite pricey if you can get one, but I've been in mine most days for over 4 years now, so I'd say it's worth the investment. </div></div>

I've got the same swazi also. It's very nice more of wind breaker by its self.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jtv3062</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nick Simmons</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know if you guys in the states can get them, but i swear by a jacket called the Swazi Tahr Anorak. They're made in New Zealand of 3 layers of gore-tex.

DSC00472.jpg

Photo154.jpg

It's relatively thin, so in the summer i just wear a t-shirt under it, and in the winter some woollen layers. May work out quite pricey if you can get one, but I've been in mine most days for over 4 years now, so I'd say it's worth the investment. </div></div>

I've got the same swazi also. It's very nice more of wind breaker by its self. </div></div>

Yeah you need to layer up underneath in the cold. I don't mind though, means i can still wear it in the summer if it rains.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trevor300wsm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Skinny

How big a guy are you? What size GenIII set do you wear? </div></div>

He's just a little guy, prob where's a Smedium haha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dzlfarmboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trevor300wsm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Skinny

How big a guy are you? What size GenIII set do you wear? </div></div>

He's just a little guy, prob where's a Smedium haha </div></div>

hey... i'm working on gaining some mass, its just hard when i got all this killing to do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No one mentioned carhartt?</div></div>

I'm supprised no one did. If you hang around Sale Barns and feed stores, you'll see that's the number one jacket worn by ranchers and farmers.

They wear the same outfit when they're hunting.