• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting Bullets

repiv

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2010
The Colony Texas
www.dallasmicro.com
I have a 308 Remington 700 R5 Milspec. I have had the gun for a year and in December I started reloading. I did alot of homework before I started but I am still new to hand loading. I have been to the range 2 times with my loads and each time I shot 3 - 5 shot groups with Sierra Matchking bullets. I was also able to shoot a smaller than dime sized 5 shot group 2 times (out of 6 tries). There are TONS of loads out there for this rifle for match bullets.

I use:
Sierra Matchking 175gr
43 Grains of Varget
Remington Brass that came from Premier Match Ammo
CCI BR2 Primers
COAL 2.8"

Now I also want to use this rifle for hunting. My first choice for a bullet is the Barnes TTSX 168gr. I can not find any loads for this bullet. Has anyone used this bullet in this gun or know of a load using this bullet that has worked well. I have tried to work up some load on my 2 trips but the results were not very good. Groups were to 2-3 inches.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Re: Hunting Bullets

Barnes can be very sensitive to seating depth, I have not tried the 168's so I cant advise on them. The 130's I tried worked well, on target, never took them hunting...

For years I have used Nosler Partition bullets for hunting. All brought about because I lost a nice buck one season and someone on around the mountain got him. I have some Barnes X bullets on order. But I haven't done any testing on them.

Try sending them an email and see what they tell you. All it will cost is your time. The worse thing that can happen is they say no.

If you call Barnes, they will email you all the data they have on a caliber. They are very helpful.
The Barnes bullets are nice, but the Hornady GMX bullets are much better. They foul less than the Barnes. I'd look at them, too.

I dont know if your bullets came with a slip of paper in the box but mine did. Here is what barnes suggest on seating depth.

"Seat between .030-.070 off the lands for best accuracy. We recommend starting at .050 off the lands, then fine tune the load by adjusting seating depth either closer or farther from the lands in .005-.010 increments."

You will likly find that 45-46 grains of varget to be a sweet spot with the 168, but work into that.

42.0 to 46.0 gr. of Varget from the Nosler #6 manual. They like to be jumped which should work well in a stock Remington chamber.

I would try the OCW test to get your load, then adjust the seating depth to get top accuracy.

The Barnes bullets do bad stuff to the inside of animals. Don't expect to catch one in flesh and blood!

Hope this helps.

Thank you all for your input. I did call Barnes today and I already had their Information in PDF for 308. They said to find the max length and then back off between .030-.070 and .050 to start, exactly what Niles quoted. Remember I am still new to hand loading so I dont exactly know all the methods yet. So to find overall max chamber length in my gun with the barnes bullet, (and I read this somewhere) I took a fired brass and cut a slit into it with a dremel to just above the shoulder and inserted a bullet into it with it sticking out as far as it could go. I then chambered it very gently and very slowly until I was able to lock the bolt. This measured 3.010 on my caliper. So if I started at .050 off would that be 2.96"? The math looks right it just does not sound right. It sounds long.

I tried the same thing with the 175gr Sierra Matchking and it measures 2.922 and I have been shooting it with good results at 2.80 or .122 off the max. I think I am explaining this right but if I am not somebody please say so.

So should I start the barnes 168gr ttsx at 2.92? Or would you start with less?

Chad if I dont have success with the barnes I may try the Hornady GMX bullets. Once I get a good result with a hunting bullet I am going to make up a few of them and then only hunt with them. I will still shoot Sierra mostly at the range.

That’s unfortunate, but normal for a Remington. They seem to make there chambers to eat every thing, which is good but disliked by use reloaders...

In that case load to the longest that will work in you mag and go from there, unless you want to single feed your ammo.

I'm in the same boat as you right now, working on a load with the 168 gr Barnes TTSX for an upcoming Hog hunt. I have settled on 43.5 gr of Varget with COAL at 2.80. This load has given me a couple groups in the .3's but usually running .75 - 1. POI is the same as my 175 SMK loads. I have only shot it a 100 yrds so far but will be running out to 300 next trip to the range. The rifle is a Remington 700 PSS with a really long throat. Good luck with your load development & good hunting.

If you are happy with your 175 Mathcking performance, take a look at the 180 Gamekings and the 178 Hornandy Amax's. In my experience, I have just swapped the bullets out with the same powder charge. Their was little deviation from my established dope between the 175's and the two mentioned out to 450 yards. Hope this helps.

B.

Wow Niles I had not even considered the mag. And since its for hunting I will want to use it. Of course when I shoot the matchkings I single load so its not an issue but for hunting it is.

I measured and 2.840 is the max the mag will hold so thats what I will try this weekend and see what it does. I may also try a few at 2.810 and see what that does. If I can get it down to .75 I will be happy.

I will report back.

FWIW...only been shooting63 years, and only been killing deer and elk for 50. The Nosler Partitions will do everything you want and for half or less of the price. NEVER had a failure nor an animal to run away when hit properly with a Partition.The early ones cut on the screw lathe machines were sometimes not as accurate as they should be. The present double cup swaged bullets are as good as you can want. JMHO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FWIW...only been shooting63 years, and only been killing deer and elk for 50. The Nosler Partitions will do everything you want and for half or less of the price. NEVER had a failure nor an animal to run away when hit properly with a Partition.The early ones cut on the screw lathe machines were sometimes not as accurate as they should be. The present double cup swaged bullets are as good as you can want. JMHO </div></div>

+1... On the choice for the Nosler Partitions.

You got me on how long. I've only been hunting 50 years and bigger game 40.

I guess I probably need to get some of the newer Partition bullets and do a full blown inspection on them. The ones I have now and have inspected were bought in the mid 1980s.

Well it didnt go well today, I tried 2.84, 2.83. 2.82 and 2.81 COAL with 43, 44 and 45 grains of varget. No 5 shot group was better than 2 inches.

The Sierra Matchkings still shot well so I dont think its just me.

I dont think I will try the Barnes again, the 1 drawback to it is that its a very long bullet.

I talked to some guys today at the range and at a gun shop that I frequent and these guys had shot the Nosler Partition bullet for a long time, but now they are shooting the Nosler AccuBond Bullet. They said these bullets are similar to the partition but a little better. They also said another one I could try is the Swift Scirocco. Does anyone know anything about either one of these?

I am also considering going down to a 150gr bullet. I had bad luck with Barnes TTSX in both 168gr and 180gr.

I do not have a ton of time to go to the range so I try to make each trip count.

Thanks

I've been using Nosler's Hunting bullet in 168 grain and they have worked great for me, both accuracy wise and for stoping power. I use 44 grains of Varget and 2.8 COAL. My 5 shot groups at 100 are typically 3/4 in to 1 in. Also they aren't hard on the wallet like Barnes. About $17-19 for 50