• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Hunting Day Pack - recommendations?

Flyinghunter

Civil War 2.0 participation trophy winner
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2010
South
www.snipershide.com
Looking for a small hunting day pack. Probably 1600-2300 size. Currently use a Badlands Superday but the zippers and zippers pulls have reached their lifespan and I'd like to try something new as I've used this one for years. I'll generally use the pack for scouting in the off season and hunting. I generally hunt from a climbing tree stand or still hunt. I look forward to your recommendations.

Stone Glacier....if you don’t need a frame for hauling quarters, then check out the avail.

I’ve been using the Mystery Ranch Sawtooth 45 for daypack hunts for a couple years now. Just packed out a bull elk a few days ago with it. Comfortable, plenty of pockets and storage for gear, and can handle lots of weight!

I have a badlands super day, kuiu 2300 pro, and HPG terahumara (sp?). For day hunting where I'm not expecting a long pack out I grab the HPG the most often. The harness is very comfortable.

Reactions: Flyinghunter
Exo packs are amazing if you arnt in heavy brush, if your in the Midwest or West external frames will do you well. If you Southeast or East look more internal frames IMO like Mystery Ranch scree or sawtooth.

I think Badlands will replace it for free if you ge a hold of them. Otherwise most of the above suggestions will work well. I like the Mystery Ranch pop up if going to pack out a load.

As I read your post of what you used it for my through jumped to "Badlands"-- I would replace it with the same. It is a pretty good value and mine has proven to be very durable.

Exo Mountain Gear makes great packs and has one is the size range you are looking at. Their stuff is designed well and I have used a 5500 for a day pack as they cinch down to nothing.

If you want a pack that outlasts all other packs, look at kifaru.

They have a ton of different sizes and shapes. The nice thing is that they're more modular than most. You can add or subtract what you want, when you want.

They also have one of the best suspension of all the packs out.

Xdeano

Reactions: powdahound76
If you want a pack that outlasts all other packs, look at kifaru.

They have a ton of different sizes and shapes. The nice thing is that they're more modular than most. You can add or subtract what you want, when you want.

They also have one of the best suspension of all the packs out.

Xdeano

Could not agree more. they are phenomenal. I took one to the mammoth sniper challenge last year, have carried the same pack on multiple multi day hunting trips and use one of their smaller packs as my idc/work bag and I'm in the market for another bag now that will fit in between those two for day hunts, I'm looking at the 357 mag for this, I have a shape charge and 44mag now.

I will share a quick story as a testament to their service. last year a few weeks out from mammoth my shooting partner and I decided to grab their gunbearers instead of trying to use the pack straps to strap rifles to our packs. they have a few options and I was sure which to go with so I just picked one as I couldn't tell a lot of difference from the description. my partner and I ended up ordering two different versions and after using them we found that the bottom portion for the buttstock that came with his was perfect but the top portion for securing the fore end worked better with the model I got.
I called them, got Aron Snyder (the president of the company on the phone) at around 6am their time, explained what we had received and asked if we could order one more piece from each of the two kits....... he insisted that the parts be overnighted to us at no charge even though I offered to pay several times because it wasn't Kifarus fault at all, he refused relentlessly and sent the stuff overnight at no charge and wished us luck at the match.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chesapeake
Could not agree more. they are phenomenal. I took one to the mammoth sniper challenge last year, have carried the same pack on multiple multi day hunting trips and use one of their smaller packs as my idc/work bag and I'm in the market for another bag now that will fit in between those two for day hunts, I'm looking at the 357 mag for this, I have a shape charge and 44mag now.

I will share a quick story as a testament to their service. last year a few weeks out from mammoth my shooting partner and I decided to grab their gunbearers instead of trying to use the pack straps to pack rifles to our packs. they have a few options and I was sure which to go with so I just picked one as I couldn't tell a lot of difference from the description. my partner and I ended up ordering two different versions and after using them we found that the bottom portion for the buttstock that came with his was perfect but the top portion for securing the fore end worked better with the model I got.
I called them, got Aron Snyder (the president of the company on the phone) at around 6am their time, explained what we had received and asked if we could order one more piece from each of the two kits....... he insisted that the parts be overnighted to us at no charge even though I offered to pay several times because it wasn't Kifarus fault at all, he refused relentlessly and sent the stuff overnight at no charge and wished us luck at the match.

I really like my 14'r. It would split the difference between your 357 and 44.

Xdeano

Reactions: powdahound76
Can’t go wrong with the offerings from HPG, Kifaru, Exo, Stone Glacier, Seek Outside. Find one the size you need and don’t look back.

Reactions: Marbles
I really like my 14'r. It would split the difference between your 357 and 44.

Xdeano

I like the 14r, a buddy of mine has one. I'm still leaning towards the 357 though since is it has the same general pocket layout as the shape charge and 44mag that I already have. also considered getting another frame and a 22mag. I love their stuff and their service has made me a customer for life.

Great feedback all. Thank you!
I did get free, fast replacements from Badlands.

I'm reviewing all of your recommendations as I'm still planning to add a new pack.

I will third the Kifaru option.

For a day pack, the 14er is awesome.
To me, a day pack is about 2400.
Because a day is 10 miles. Or a tad more.
Shape Charge is also a cool pack, but I try to keep my number of packs down.

But a little extra room for a down jacket, woobie for cold white tail hunts, and mittens for glassing is nice.
I even carry a closed cell foam pad in my Kifaru Woodsman for still hunts (no stand) for padding and to help keep warm on cold days.

Look at the Wisport Sparrow. Wisport makes top notch gear. I have several of their packs and they are a great value.

Glad to see @Jigstick mentioned Seek Outside. I use a Seek Revolution frame with a Kuiu Ultra 2200, probably not the most common combo, but I love it. It's feather light when it's empty, but beefy enough to comfortably pack a whole a deer.

1DDD6957-9D07-41B2-BD68-A17617D719DA.jpeg

seek outside makes good shit. I have two of their tipi tents and stoves. Love em

Reactions: Antares
Have Kifaru and Kuiu packs. Kifaru frame is hands down the best I’ve seen and tried. Paired with a 22mag or 357 mag you’d have a very modular platform to add to later on if needed. Kuiu if you want lighter frame/pack. Have the Kuiu 1850, 2300, and 3600 bags. The 2300 is just right size for my day trips. If could do all over again though I’d probably get the 22mag. Kifaru frame is just that much better, especially if ever considering hauling meat out.

Yeah Kifaru frames and packs are the cats ass. I have a few of them. The Seek Outside frames and packs are “less tactical” and much lighter weight. Very well made and can haul the weight just like the Kifaru stuff. Depends if your a “minimalist” or “heavy” kind of guy

I just got a Seek Outside frame in the mail today. It is different from my Exo K3, I will have to put it to some use to see which I like better. I love the Exo bags, so that is what I'm going to mount on the SO frame.

I don't have any complaints about the Exo, just needed a second frame for my wife and wanted to try something different.

I’ve seen some pretty sick setups of Exo bags on Kifaru frames