• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting/field rifle set up

Naaman

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 13, 2020
Setting up my rifle for a stalk/hunt later this year. I'm a noob at this stuff (been hunting once before) so looking for input.

Based on my limited experience, here is what I have so far:

Stock riser with lens pen and allen keys and extra battery for the scope.

Still haven't picked out a sling (I prefer cross body, but that doesn't work with this rifle's sling mount points).

Also wondering if a rifle sheath of some kind is appropriate (to keep the crown safe).

Is there a good hunting sling (or other solution) out there that will allow me to go hands free (shoulder slinging doesn't seem to work for me in this regard; the rifle just slides off my shoulder). I think Kifaru makes something for hands free, but there's not much info about it.

Thanks in advance for advice.

Attachments

• 20210513_111930.jpg
    20210513_111930.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 20210513_111948.jpg
    20210513_111948.jpg
    336.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 20210513_112051.jpg
    20210513_112051.jpg
    376.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 20210513_112105.jpg
    20210513_112105.jpg
    387.1 KB · Views: 90
Saran wrap that is over crown and taped to main barrel lower also works. There are lots of companies that make scope and barreled action covers for rifles that you might want to look into

StHealthy Rifle Cover I do enjoy the bear hunts of Ryan Lampers and Brian Call.
I believe this was an idea of Ryan's that is bearing fruit. It covers your "rifle sheath" comment and then some. I do not own one and probably will not but you might like it

I like the Quake Claw Sling. I own a couple of these

You want to cover the muzzle while you are on your hunt? Seems slow. I like the Cleckner sling. Gives a lot of options. Carrying with a sling sucks, though. Try to retain the rifle on your pack.

Throw the lens pen away.
Keep water and q-tips handy instead.
Disagree. Gentle brushing is less damaging than rubbing wet grit into the lens.

As for the sling points, you can drill into the stock and add QD points if that doesn’t give you the willies.

Most people don't bother brushing and instead rub vigorously with the pad.

Flush the lens with water and GENTLY dry with q-tips.
Better yet, keep the lens covers on unless you're taking a shot.

Reactions: Texasflyer
The last thing I concentrate on out in the field is keeping my rifle and scope from getting buggered up. Use lens covers, and have fun.

Reactions: MateoBx
Put all of your tools in one little bag, preferably not plastic. Most will fit in the Otis case.
Dope card(s).
Plus one on the electrical tape over the muzzle, just a round spot. It won't have any effect on the bullet. I have a bunch of cammo water balloons I found decades ago that I bought just for this purpose. I think I am down to about 300 left...any color will do, though.
I prefer the flip scope caps for several reasons (Actually, the caps I really liked are not made by anyone anymore).
A small bottle of lens cleaner and one of acetone. I actually do use water as the initial flush, right out of the water bottle, unless it's below freezing. Give it a swish and dump it out, then a hard blow. Spray the lens cleaner on and use the scope cloth. Then dip a Q-tip in the acetone and start at the center of the lens and draw a continuous spiral to the outer edge.

I wouldn’t mess with any shoulder slings on a hike in/stalk hunt. Get that kifaru gun bearer. Me and a buddy went on a Montana mule deer hunt last year and that thing is a game changer.

Thanks for all the replies, everyone!

You want to cover the muzzle while you are on your hunt? Seems slow. I like the Cleckner sling. Gives a lot of options. Carrying with a sling sucks, though. Try to retain the rifle on your pack.

I don't know! 😅 Still figuring out what's "necessary" and "worth while." I like the idea of a hands free solution, too.

The last thing I concentrate on out in the field is keeping my rifle and scope from getting buggered up. Use lens covers, and have fun.

Is this just something that doesn't tend to happen, or is it that even if it does, it's impact is negligible?

Put all of your tools in one little bag, preferably not plastic. Most will fit in the Otis case.
Dope card(s).
Plus one on the electrical tape over the muzzle, just a round spot. It won't have any effect on the bullet. I have a bunch of cammo water balloons I found decades ago that I bought just for this purpose. I think I am down to about 300 left...any color will do, though.
I prefer the flip scope caps for several reasons (Actually, the caps I really liked are not made by anyone anymore).
A small bottle of lens cleaner and one of acetone. I actually do use water as the initial flush, right out of the water bottle, unless it's below freezing. Give it a swish and dump it out, then a hard blow. Spray the lens cleaner on and use the scope cloth. Then dip a Q-tip in the acetone and start at the center of the lens and draw a continuous spiral to the outer edge.

Great explanation, thank you. 👍

I wouldn’t mess with any shoulder slings on a hike in/stalk hunt. Get that kifaru gun bearer. Me and a buddy went on a Montana mule deer hunt last year and that thing is a game changer.

I've been shopping Kifaru for a few months now, trying to spec out a system for single day stalks. I like the concept of hands free and quick access that the gun bearer offers. Thanks for the data point!

This is the sling I use if I have a ways to hump from camp to my shooting spot. I have flush cups on the left side of the rifle to keep the bolt handle off my back.

I have a 250 year old fanny pack by some no name brand I got at a Gibson's store in Texas I use to carry things like first aid, emergency bivvy, emergency rations, fire starter, sierra cup, spare socks, a cuben fiber rain jacket, folding saw, meat bags...
Generally leave my meat packing stuff at camp. I tag and gut the critter, if it's hot enough, I get it quartered up or boned and into some shade. I take the rifle and extra stuff back to camp, maybe take a small load with me. Then the work REALLY begins.

Thanks for all the replies, everyone!

I don't know! 😅 Still figuring out what's "necessary" and "worth while." I like the idea of a hands free solution, too.

Is this just something that doesn't tend to happen, or is it that even if it does, it's impact is negligible?

Great explanation, thank you. 👍

I've been shopping Kifaru for a few months now, trying to spec out a system for single day stalks. I like the concept of hands free and quick access that the gun bearer offers. Thanks for the data point!

Kifaru has shitty gun bearers. Mystery Ranch is a little better. Kifaru is great stuff otherwise, though.

As far as whether scopes get muddy or whatever, I haven't had it happen much, and I'd probably just spit on the thing, wipe it down, and deal with the consequences later, but that is me.

Just do some research the kifaru gun bearer isn’t “shit” I’m guessing the dude has never even used it or doesn’t know how to use it. It’s got good reviews and makes hiking in several miles a breeze with your rifle.

Reactions: Naaman
Just do some research the kifaru gun bearer isn’t “shit” I’m guessing the dude has never even used it or doesn’t know how to use it. It’s got good reviews and makes hiking in several miles a breeze with your rifle.
Do you want a picture of mine? The only good gun carry system Kifaru makes is for the Nomad, but that is more of a hike in gunbearer. Their packs, as I said, are awesome, but the gunbearers are not. Honestly, most gunbearers aren't very good, but the Mystery Ranch get up is better. They are better than just a carry sling, but not much. I also suppose it depends what terrain you are hunting in. I live in the Rockies, maybe it is better for flats type hunting, though Kifaru is in the Rockies too, so who knows. All I know is that a lot of guys around here have tried them, and nobody likes them at all. Myself included.

Reactions: Naaman

Do you want a picture of mine? The only good gun carry system Kifaru makes is for the Nomad, but that is more of a hike in gunbearer. Their packs, as I said, are awesome, but the gunbearers are not. Honestly, most gunbearers aren't very good, but the Mystery Ranch get up is better. They are better than just a carry sling, but not much. I also suppose it depends what terrain you are hunting in. I live in the Rockies, maybe it is better for flats type hunting, though Kifaru is in the Rockies too, so who knows. All I know is that a lot of guys around here have tried them, and nobody likes them at all. Myself included.

I really appreciate both perspectives. I'll probably just buy one since the financial commitment isn't serious. The Mystery Ranch one seems more disliked (on their own website) than liked, but is also a bit more of a monetary commitment ($89). I may shell out the $36 for the Kifaru one, see if I like it, and if not, then try the Mystery Ranch option.

If it makes a difference, the rifle to be borne in it will be a M70 Featherweight (22" bbl) with a ~24 oz scope on it.

The type of hiking I'm anticipating is rugged desert/light forest in the late fall/winter. This year it will be area 18 in New Mexico. Last year is was Bear Canyon in Tuscon, AZ. Next year will probably be somewhere in Arizona.

Reactions: MateoBx
Kifaru has shitty gun bearers. Mystery Ranch is a little better. Kifaru is great stuff otherwise, though.

As far as whether scopes get muddy or whatever, I haven't had it happen much, and I'd probably just spit on the thing, wipe it down, and deal with the consequences later, but that is me.
I've been re-thinking my scope selection, actually. I may have gone overboard with the Tenmile I put on there. A $5-600 option might have been more prudent for a field gun (and lighter weight, too!). 😅 Live and learn. :sneaky:

I've been re-thinking my scope selection, actually. I may have gone overboard with the Tenmile I put on there. A $5-600 option might have been more prudent for a field gun (and lighter weight, too!). 😅 Live and learn. :sneaky:
I’ve been wanting to see one of the tenmile scopes. Looks like a nice option.

I’ve been wanting to see one of the tenmile scopes. Looks like a nice option.
One of my coworkers (ex-army sniper/swat sniper) said it was an excellent scope after looking mine over.

It is my first scope, so I don't have a strong basis for comparison. But I like it as what I guess folks call a "hybrid" tactical/hunting optic. It was the lightest thing I could find with what I figured was a good magnification range (3-18) and made by a company I consider worhty of my dollars. The reticle is a bit advanced for my skill level, but it's functionality is pretty obvious. In retrospect, I would probably have budgeted for two bolt guns: one for hunting, and one for precision/long distance shooting. Instead, I have a (apparently) really nice general purpose bolt gun (as others have told me).

If you have the attitude to take your time. Shoot range, set elevation and check windage yes then any scope would be best. Have a Vortex PST 2-10 but may look at a LHT 3-15 since the windage is capped and elevation is locked. When hiking with my rifle the turrets would get spun and my AAD scope covers pop open (thinking ranger bands would remedy that).