• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting for flip caps... THAT ACTUALLY WORK WELL.

Quail2Cardinal

Private
Minuteman
Mar 17, 2020
Help. Please.

I want something better than BC flip caps.
Vortex is my "go-to". But many dudes complain about difficulty finding the right size.
I have a Gen II Vortex PST 3-15x44 Viper.

Can someone please end the debate? Pictures are a huge plus!

Last edited:
+1 for aadland caps and throw levers. Have them for my ZCO and S&B and they’re great! The ZCO ones could use some refinement on the ocular cap but functionally they’re great!

Reactions: TACC
If your PST is Gen 1 go with the aadlands, if it is Gen 2 then the defender caps work much better than the previous gen 1.

Reactions: STex
Aadland Engineering scope caps.

There is not a better scope cap. The pop up and sit flat, are nearly indestructible, and if you do break one they will replace it at no cost.

/Debate.
Of course. BACKORDERED.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200720-230725_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200720-230725_Chrome.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 129
If your PST is Gen 1 go with the aadlands, if it is Gen 2 then the defender caps work much better than the previous gen 1.
This is exactly the banter I'm talking about. The problem with Vortex is that they don't MATCH their particular models with their name brand scope counterparts. I. E. : "Which exact model do I buy? Do I have to actually measure the millimeters of the objective and eyepiece? Because... The Aadlands do exactly what I'm describing. Find your scope model, and VOILA, the set is there. So, I need help. How do I go about finding the proper fit with the Vortex? (Because VORTEX isn't making things easy AT ALL)

Got pictures or experience?

Last edited:
Of course. BACKORDERED.

Almost all their caps are made to order, and you should have them in 2-3 weeks tops.

Note: Caps listed as "Backordered" may be ordered at any time. The sooner they are ordered the sooner they will be made and shipped. Most "Backordered" caps will ship within a couple weeks of being ordered.

Yea, sounds like aadland caps are probably what you want. I honestly didnt like mine when I first got them. I dont even like them that much now but they are the best option out there right now. They get the job done and they are sturdy as hell which is nice. They were annoyingly hard to open and close when I first got them but they have settled in a bit better now, or maybe I'm just used to it.

I run defender caps on a different scope and I actually like them better in theory, but every set of them that I've had has loosened up on the rubber part over time and eventually they want to just slip off the scope when you try to open them. Fatal flaw IMO. I usually wrap my scopes anyway, which works well at keeping them in place so it doesnt bother me. But taking them off to run a DFAT is a pain in the ass when you start talking about unwrapping the end of the scope.. so I just run the aadlands.

They are better than I make them sound, just buy em and you'll probably be real happy with them.

Aadlands are better the whole cap does not fall off when you quickly flip them open like the Vortex do. But the Vortex are cheaper, but you get what you pay for.

I have used tenebraex on a lot of optics but never the aadland. Anyone have a good comparison between the 2? I like how the tenebraex objective screws on, so it's virtually never going to fail.

I have used tenebraex on a lot of optics but never the aadland. Anyone have a good comparison between the 2? I like how the tenebraex objective screws on, so it's virtually never going to fail.
I've had both and far prefer Aadmounts. Side by side useage, Tenebraexes are nowhere near as stout. One of my scopes came with Tenebraexes. I replaced them with Aadmounts, couldn't be happier.

Provided the OP purchases Aadmounts, place your order and don't worry about very little communication. John's a standup guy, makes great products and is very busy. He gets criticism sometimes for lack of comms and it isn't necessarily unjustified, but he's going 120 mph trying to get orders built/shipped. When your order ships, you'll get an e-mail and tracking number from PayPal stating just that. It's an easy process, just order, wait +/- 3'ish weeks and don't worry about it. Once you receive your first set, you'll be convinced the wait was worth it.

Last edited:
The Vortex defender caps suck donkey dick.

I have them on two rifles and they're both being upgraded to Aadland.

The rubber doesn't stay tight and constantly fucks with the reticle focus adjustment everytime I open the God damned thing. And I'm using them on Vortex scopes.

I don't even use them on the eyepiece anymore.

I prefer the Tenebraex. My Aadlands are too stiff to open and close easily. The Tenebraex aren’t as stout but easier to use imo.

Yea, sounds like aadland caps are probably what you want. I honestly didnt like mine when I first got them. I dont even like them that much now but they are the best option out there right now. They get the job done and they are sturdy as hell which is nice. They were annoyingly hard to open and close when I first got them but they have settled in a bit better now, or maybe I'm just used to it.

I run defender caps on a different scope and I actually like them better in theory, but every set of them that I've had has loosened up on the rubber part over time and eventually they want to just slip off the scope when you try to open them. Fatal flaw IMO. I usually wrap my scopes anyway, which works well at keeping them in place so it doesnt bother me. But taking them off to run a DFAT is a pain in the ass when you start talking about unwrapping the end of the scope.. so I just run the aadlands.

They are better than I make them sound, just buy em and you'll probably be real happy with them.

Show a picture of the "wrapped scope".
Also, what's a DFAT?

Have one set of Tenebreax and only issue I saw, which kept me from moving forward with them, was clearance for 20MOA rail and 50mm objective if ring height was inadequate to clear barrel if flipping straight back. They are net larger in diameter than Aadland because of the perimeter rail around front cap. Sideways opening may not be an issue. Sticking with Aadland for consistency across my optics.

Show a picture of the "wrapped scope".
Also, what's a DFAT?

I wrap my scopes regardless of what caps I use, so its not like I do it just for that reason. It just has the added benefit of keeping the vortex cap in place. Without the wrap, the caps slip enough that I wouldn't use them. That rubber sucks.

A DFAT is a scope cap you put on the end of your scope to allow you to focus on targets up close inside your house for dry fire drills. It requires taking off whatever cap is currently on there first. Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, I bet I could 3D print an adapter to make the DFAT attach to a scope cap, not like it needs to be crazy sturdy. Anyway, if the cap is wrapped like mine, then youd have to unwrap it first to put the DFAT on there. A little bit of a pain in the anus but probably not much harder than removing the aadland cap. Since the aadland tightens down on the scope I just run the wrap up to the end of it and I dont overlap it like I do with the defender caps.

(Clicky)
20200721_143936.jpg

20200721_143446.jpg

Reactions: Threadcutter308
A wrap or 2 of electrical tape under the cap makes for a nice tight fit. A wrap or two over the cap secured it to the scope.

I wrap my scopes regardless of what caps I use, so its not like I do it just for that reason. It just has the added benefit of keeping the vortex cap in place. Without the wrap, the caps slip enough that I wouldn't use them. That rubber sucks.

A DFAT is a scope cap you put on the end of your scope to allow you to focus on targets up close inside your house for dry fire drills. It requires taking off whatever cap is currently on there first. Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, I bet I could 3D print an adapter to make the DFAT attach to a scope cap, not like it needs to be crazy sturdy. Anyway, if the cap is wrapped like mine, then youd have to unwrap it first to put the DFAT on there. A little bit of a pain in the anus but probably not much harder than removing the aadland cap. Since the aadland tightens down on the scope I just run the wrap up to the end of it and I dont overlap it like I do with the defender caps.

(Clicky)
View attachment 7380302

View attachment 7380297

And......yer welcome ;)

The Vortex defender caps suck donkey dick.

I have them on two rifles and they're both being upgraded to Aadland.

The rubber doesn't stay tight and constantly fucks with the reticle focus adjustment everytime I open the God damned thing. And I'm using them on Vortex scopes.

I don't even use them on the eyepiece anymore.
Get the diopter set where you want it, then wrap it with electrical tape. It won’t move unless you want it to. And, use the above advice to secure teccap to the scope. Therubber on the vortex caps does suck, and allows the cap to flip off before it flips up. But, not when taped to the scope.

Get the diopter set where you want it, then wrap it with electrical tape. It won’t move unless you want it to. And, use the above advice to secure teccap to the scope. Therubber on the vortex caps does suck, and allows the cap to flip off before it flips up. But, not when taped to the scope.

I appreciate the advice, I'm not wrapping a $2000 scope with electrical tape.

I have tenebrex caps and they almost lay flat probably stick out 20-35 degrees. They fit and work with an ARD.

How do the Aadlands mount to the scope? I gather that it is NOT rubber like Vortex caps...so, how do they attach or is that scope brand/model specific???

How do the Aadlands mount to the scope? I gather that it is NOT rubber like Vortex caps...so, how do they attach or is that scope brand/model specific???
They clamp on, with a set screw around the perimeter. Once installed correctly, they ‘ain’t coming off.....

Last edited:
They clamp on, with a set screw around the perimeter. Once installed correctly, they ‘ain’t coming off.....

Outstanding, thank you!

I just ordered a set for a Viper and if I like them I will also order a set for my Leupold V.

Of course caps for both scopes are in BO status but I understand he has then made/makes them sort of on-demand (perhaps in small lot sizes) and I can be patient on an item like this.

Thanks again.

And......yer welcome ;)
Yep same stuff I use. Bought 10 rolls for 10 bucks like well over a year ago.

I recently wanted scope caps in a hurry. Did a very quick search here through some old threads and it seemed like Tenebraex got the vote.

Ordered some ... and ... was incredibly underwhelmed when they arrived. They felt like flimsy Tupperware, and I was wishing I'd listened to my Western hunting buddies who mostly use the Aadmounts.

However, given the Tenebraex following here, I'm trying to remain open-minded. My guess is like many things, it would be worth getting both and see what you like the best.

I like them half-naked, bikini style ocular covers only, St-Tropez style. I never use the objective covers, but i do use the ocular covers (and the carry case when binoculars are not in use).

Taking back my preference on Tenebraex. Not sure what was going on but the rear piece kept popping off this past weekend. Even if hard to close, I know the Aadland won’t come off.

Tenebraex is who I went with but with ARDs and shit and when capping umpteen different optics, it just made more sense. Plus for weird shit like ACOGs and junk, they rule.

Tenebraex got a new machine a year or two back that allows them to make almost anything, even in small batches. I got an ARD and set of caps for USO SR8, a no-shit one off item and the first one made on that machine. Someone there told me they make over 7000 different individual parts... But now they can make anything, even a one off.

But for some reason, NOBODY can make me a goddamn cap that will fit a USO observation scope and even BC won't make a copy.

I don’t wrap my entire scope, but both ends over the Defenders and there fine. It a tool .