• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My gutting/skinning knife is a simple Buck 110 folder. Holds an edge really well and is easy to carry. Used to use a bigger fixed blade, but the folder has been more than excellent for about 10+ years.

Aftermath- if you don’t mind me asking how did you come by your old German knife /saw combo?
The one I have was made in Boise, ID.

When my dad was KIA Vietnam, my mom moved us to Idaho so we could just be boys without the added bullshit of being THOSE boys. I got into tying my own flies and, even though they didn't look very professional at first, a sporting goods shop owner about 3 blocks from my house bought them all and even made orders. I hung out there all the time and he never once ran me off. I was in there once and this adult male came in and inquired when he would have some more of "that kids flies". My mentor pointed at me and said, "Ask that kid." We all laughed. He sold my flies as soon as I dropped them off.
I wanted one of those sets. He gave that set to me on a sort of layaway plan. He raised the price of my flies and paid me a little more for each one. It was all written in a little note book. One day he told me it was all paid for.

Now for the Paul Harvey part...

We were friends until I left for boot camp and then moved again. I didn't call (I'm still terrible at that).
So I got married the first time at age 35 and we moved back to Lewiston. My old friend knew me as soon as I walked in his shop. He said he knew my gait. He greeted me at the door and shook my hand and gave me a hug. I almost cried.
I started hanging out at his shop as I could. Rainy days, that sort of thing. I bought every drop of gasoline from him and had my wife do the same. If he had it, we bought it there. If he didn't have it, I might have him order it.
One day I was in there and he answered the phone and right away I could tell he was pissed. He hung up and asked me if I would buy a Remington 700 BDL in 300 WINMAG. I told him I didn't have extra cash. He then said we could do it layaway and then explained that the guy on the phone had paid him a small deposit and had him order the rifle. The guy was telling him that the rifle was not worth what he was paying and wanted to pay less. So I bought the rifle on layaway for $25 less than what he had to pay for it. The guy didn't get his deposit nor the rifle.
I told my bride that I had placed the rifle on layaway. She tells him to please take my money and put it in an envelope and let her know when I made a payment. She would then go match my payment. The day I went to pay it off, my old friend acted real weird at first and then told me he was sorry but the rifle was at his house in the safe and he'd bring it to me later. I said no big deal and we made plans to meet at my house on Saturday afternoon. It was just a few days before my birthday.
Saturday rolls around and I mow the the lawn and shit and one of my buddies shows up with his wife. The girls leave for the house and we hang by the garage. He brings me a beer and another friend shows up with his wife. Repeat several times. I'm so fucking clueless.
Someone says we should have a barbecue so I get the grill going while someone goes for steaks and more beer. We gather around this huge fucking picnic table that I way over built using 2x8s and my wife comes out with a birthday cake. My buds all give me a ration for having no clue that this was all planned. It was fun.
Then she brings out my birthday gift. I knew it was a rifle by the shape and size of the box. When I saw that it was 'the" rifle I was shocked. Then she handed me the birthday card and inside it was all that cash I had paid and I was real confused. She said that I should be able to buy a scope!!!!!!!!!!!
My buds were all even more jealous. Not only was my wife petite and beautiful with huge tits but she just paid for a fucking rifle AND made sure I could get a scope on it. I actually did cry at her thoughtfulness.
My old friend died later that same week suddenly. Massive heart attack there in his shop.
I still have the knife/saw, the rifle and some other stuff....I haven't seen that woman in about 25 years and that's just fine with me.

Last edited:
Been sitting in the rain and fog for seven hours. Have to entertain myself somehow. Shockingly have service.

IMG_7708.jpeg

I was lusting after one of these:
1700709499280.png

But ended up picking up a Gerber Downwind Dropoint for $ 45.00. at Academy for the start of the season.
The Sheath is crap, but I can mold up a kydex sheath without too much trouble.
I put an edge on it with my Work Sharp Pro setup and I'll have to see how the edge holds up to some use.
1700709807915.png

The guys at the deer processor were using utility knives with hook blades in them for skinning and were doing it pretty efficiently at an extremely low cost and light weight. Something to think about...

Fallkniven HK9 has been my go to hunting knife for the past 9 years. This one was a factory blem that honestly you can’t even tell (the one inlay logo on the grip isn’t perfect). It was $170 when I bought it. I know they are more expensive now. It sharpens to a razor edge and holds it through multiple deer each year with only some stropping. Rarely do I resharpen.

IMG-4001.jpg

For a folder, I like Benchmade. With a little flick, their Axis lock is almost as fast as an auto, and closes just as fast as it opens. Easy one-handed operation.

I forge my own fixed blades. Been doing it for about 25 yrs now. I usually forge 1095 or W2 and do a differential heat treat with clay to get a hamon and keep a resilient spine and hard edge. I don’t own a power hammer, so Damascus is a real PITA, so I don’t do it very often. Here’s a bird and trout knife, a skinner, and a fighter. I’m kind of bad at taking pics, so I really only just started keeping photos of my knives. Forgive the poor quality pictures.

IMG_2030.jpeg
IMG_2028.jpeg
IMG_2029.jpeg