• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting Match Rifle seems like a misnomer

required_user_name

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2020
Newbie here, looking to buy my first bolt action. I have been strongly considering the Bergara Premier HMR. However, the more I learn, the more it seems like I need a heavy match rifle or a light hunting rifle. I haven't done either, but am interested in doing both other the coming years.

Here is how I understand it:
  • For match, I want a heavy profile barrel and sturdy stock. That will give better groups and handle recoil better so I can stay in my scope and see where the shots land.
  • In contrast, for hunting, I would want light carbon fiber stock and thin barrel profile because i don't want something heavy to carry around. In addition, I will only take one or two shots at a time, so I don't have to wrry about the effect of heat playing into the consistency of my shots.

So here's my question: Am I thinking about this correctly? Is the HMR a good starter for matches and hunting, but not great for either?

Get something like a Ruger American or similar to hunt with. Won’t break the bank.

Save up and find a gently used match rifle.
Thanks for the reply.

I should add that I could see myself spending 4 or 5K on this over the next couple of years. Not pinching pennies necessary. Just worried that if I buy that Bergara Premier HMR, then in a few years I won't be using it because I would have bought a lighter hunting rifle and a heavier match rifle. Am I going down the wrong path of going for a rifle that does neither well? Please correct me if I'm off base on that "neither well" comment. Not trying to put it down, just trying to emphasize the point.

You could just be more physically fit and more of a manly man and carry the heavy rifle into the field with you.

Im out west and hunt as one would out west. spot and stalk archery, glassing from high ridges into basins, checking meadows that are miles long. Multi day hunts backpacking in. Two of my three designated hunting rifles are around 14-16 lbs. The other is for my wife, who’s about 100lbs out of the shower. So she gets a pass, especially with all the gear in her pack. She has the ruger American as mentioned above.

You could just be more physically fit and more of a manly man and carry the heavy rifle into the field with you.

Im out west and hunt as one would out west. spot and stalk archery, glassing from high ridges into basins, checking meadows that are miles long. Multi day hunts backpacking in. Two of my three designated hunting rifles are around 14-16 lbs. The other is for my wife, who’s about 100lbs out of the shower. So she gets a pass, especially with all the gear in her pack. She has the ruger American as mentioned above.
Man up a perfectly reasonable response. Thanks!

Thanks for the reply.

I should add that I could see myself spending 4 or 5K on this over the next couple of years. Not pinching pennies necessary. Just worried that if I buy that Bergara Premier HMR, then in a few years I won't be using it because I would have bought a lighter hunting rifle and a heavier match rifle. Am I going down the wrong path of going for a rifle that does neither well? Please correct me if I'm off base on that "neither well" comment. Not trying to put it down, just trying to emphasize the point.
I still recommend a Ruger American to hunt with (they have a combo with scope for ~$500). Or if you wanna be classy get a Model 70 Winchester.

Then keep squirreling away and get an AI rifle like the AT or AX and be done.

Buy a Tikka and a decent scope in a caliber suited to what you plan to hunt and start researching options on a match gun. The used guns on here often offer big value for the dollar once you’ve decided what to watch for.

I've always heard this, 2 appropriate for designated application rifles will be better than one not so good at either.
However, I carry my fun guns with me hunting. It doesn't matter how big or heavy they are. I have not weighed them but they are heavy contour barreled rifles which were never designed for hunting. Just my take.

Reactions: required_user_name
Tikkas are always a solid option and IMO a big step up from the Ruger.
Check out the new Sig Cross that’s coming out soon. They market it as a cross over, comp/hunting, set up. Could be a good option for you.

I bought an HMR in .300WM. I bought it to maybe enter some local matches and to hunt. It is ~13 to 14lbs with the Mark5 HD and by no means a light hunting rig. So far have had it on one hunt last month that got cut short due to work. Only carried 4 to 5 miles that day at low altitude (4K to 5k ASL) without a full pack. It’s was not all that bad, if you are in shape. Which I am not but am now working on more seriously as I was lucky enough to get drawn for the late rifle AZ bull elk hunt in Nov/Dec again. That will be at more like 7k to 10k ASL with full pack. Ask me again if the HMR is too heavy to carry in DEC.

As for accuracy. The jury is still out, sort of. I can put the first three rounds and sometimes four into a clover leaf (100yds) if I do my job but there is always one round that strays an inch or more to ruin the group. I have not had many 5 round groups sub MOA. I am thinking it could be me or the barrel heats up and a round wanders. It looks from reading posts that the 6.5cm HMRs does not seem to have that problem as much if at all when shooting longer strings but there is a big difference between .300wm and 6.5cm.

Obviously for hunting it is perfect in that the 1st three rounds go exactly where you put them and that should be two more rounds then you really need, but I could do that with a lighter gun.

Have taken it out to 940yds on steel, (max at friends’ private range) so it certainly does shoot. But I figure for a match one would want a rifle that will routinely produce MOA or less 5 round groups. So far mine does not do that.

You did not mention what caliber you are considering so the above may not exactly apply to your situation but that has been my experience so far. FYI if I had a do over, I would have waited to find a Premier, but I am not unhappy with my choice.

HTH

I'd agree that if you really want the best of either world, then yeah you want 2 rifles. One super light for hunting and one beefed up and heavy with match grade components. BUT....there's a way to get in the middle. I just built one.

I grabbed an HMR (non pro), pulled the barreled action, sold the Bergara default stock for a couple hundred, and dropped the barreled action in to a KRG Bravo chassis. The weight of the KRG chassis/stock feels about the same as the default HMR stock, BUT you can add weights. I got the fore end weight and heavy LOP spacers (there's a shop selling custom fab'd ones they've been promoting here on SH cheap that work), a couple MDT weights on the MLOK slots up front, and full length ARCA rail. Dropped an Ares ETR on top and I've got it weighed in at 14lbs. That's a little low for a lot of PRS shooters but I've run it off barricades and have no issue and many a shooter has started with just a stock HMR in the PRS world and done just fine. I'll also be adding a suppressor which will add a little more weight. If you wanna add a little more weight just put a Razor gen II on top for over 1/2 lbs more.

The Bergaras shoot lights out accurate. I do have an MPA competition gun that's heavied up real good but I'll definitely run this Bergara setup in a match one day for fun. I built it specifically as a competition trainer gun that I could remove the weights from to take hunting. I may even buy a more lightweight, lower mag optic to use for hunting.

All that said, another option would be to just buy an even better competition chassis that you can really beef up like an MPA comp chassis, XLR, MDT, whatever. Buy the HMR pro and use it as a hunting rifle. If you want to go complete, pull the barreled action off the Bergara stock and drop it in your weighted up competition chassis. It's 2 screws and takes 2 minutes. Then you've really got the best of both worlds and with a trigger and barreled action that you're used to shooting in both scenarios. I'd just stick with the HMR pro and at least get that slightly heavier barrel profile vs any type of super light barrel.

I'll be the dissenting vote here, I really like a heavier rifle for hunting. The extra stability is more forgiving, because we all know the perfect position is rare out in the field. And, there are some significant advantages to getting one rifle and being the master of using it for all circumstances.

I've got a hunting buddy that carries a lightweight magnum, typical "hunting only" rifle. He always makes fun of me for toting my AIAT around. He borrowed it from me last weekend. Posted up on a fence row while I flushed a group of hogs out of the woods. He was able to pop 3 of them while they were running across the field. Afterwards, he commented on how easy/stable the rifle was and admitted there's no way he could have done that with his rifle.

I'm building a match/hunting rifle right now. It's on a Bighorn TL3 action. I'm going to have a heavy barrel for match/target shooting and a light barrel for hunting (carbon Proof). Right now it's going in a Manners EH1 stock, which I think is a good dual purpose stock. With that setup I have 1 optic, 1 trigger, and 1 stock to get used to. Prefit barrels are easy to come by, and with interchangeable bolt heads, I can run any caliber that will fit in a short action. So that's another option. Go with an action that accepts prefit barrels. You might be able to get a much nicer rifle for your money if you go that route rather than 2 complete setups with optics.

Last edited:
If it were me I would do two rifles, but set up with similar ergonomics and balance.

Where and what you are hunting is going to help decide on what hunting rifle might be appropriate. Bean fields out of a stand versus spotting and stalking in the mountains. Also what kind if shape you are in would help decide. During mule deer season hiking 8-12 miles a day is pretty normal. Sometimes a lot more, but not usually less.

My hunting rifle is my match rifle, varmint rifle, target rifle and pretty much everything in between. It is 16 pounds and change. I have a Win 70 Featherweight in 300wsm that I Should hunt with... I have faith in my heavy rifle because i have put thousands of rounds through it and know it. 16# isn't that heavy forma grown man to carry all day every day.
My vote get a good/great match rifle and a separate hunting rifle later if needed be.

Reactions: Faronth
Where will you be be hunting? If you're stand hunting it doesn't matter what the rifle weighs. Or if you're out shooting antelope on the plains or high desert you're going to need to be able to place a shot right where you want it at range, and appreciate that heavy barrel. If you're stalking in dense woodland and not going to take a shot over 100 yds then there's no point lugging the weight around.
If you're just looking for the option to hunt you could also consider getting something you can swap barrels on (assuming you're comfortable doing it). Get the target/match set up first, and if you're going to go out and hunt get a second barrel to throw on. Or do something like pick up a light weight Tikka in a hunting set up, buy a match quality prefit, chassis of your liking, and just swap the parts out if you ever decide to go hunt. Again that assumes you having the tools etc to do a barrel swap.

Get a cheap Tikka. Whatever rifle. Doesn’t matter as long as action length and bolt face are correct.
take off stock. Throw away or sell. Buy KRG Bravo chassis. Put Tikka in it. Buy Prefit barrels from Patriot Valley Arms in a light and a heavy contour and have someone cut flats at the end of the barrel. Buy a cheap crows foot torque wrench and now you have a switch barrel rifle that can do either and it will be WAY cheaper than 5000
Pic stolen from other thread.
42979E32-059E-4405-A50B-F005E4AD5F4C.png

here is your answer:

Dump the MOA scope for +/- 500 (normally 900) so you have the rifle for 1200 which is a crazy steal.

Get a light MRAD scope, like a vortex AMG: +/- 2300
Add some good rings and an atlas bipod: +/- 500
$3800 ready to go!

Over time, rebarrel the rifle with a Proof Research 22 inch308 or 6.5 creedmoor if you decide to go that route to safe weight. You might even feel the 308 20 inch barrel is light enough (I certainly do) to carry. Either way, for that money it will be hard to find a better rifle with a solid and smooth action, decent trigger, folding stock (excellent for carry) and outstanding accuracy rifle like this Tikka. To date I dare to say Tikka is still the most underrated rifle out there. I started with a Tikka T3 in an Mcmillan many years ago. Then the AI AT, AIAX, TRG-22 and not too long ago a friend got the Tikka Tac in 6.5. It shot nearly as well (refuse to admit it shot as well, will never happen) as my AI AX. Is the AIAX a nicer rifle? Sure, in many or any way it is. Its also a different rifle in terms of purpose. It is also a crap ton heavier. Anyway, I digress, in any case, the Tikka performs outstanding on the range and is a hell of a lot easier to carry along on a hunting trip. For a dual purpose, I think its perfect. If its not hig- end or cool enough for your liking, get the TRG-22 in 6.5 or 308. Its lighter then the AIAT however the AT is an awesome value for what it is and you could potentially get 2 barrels. A light profile for hunting (comes with a medium Palma) and an heavy (MTU) for the range. Barrel swap is 2 minutes and 1 set screw. Lots of options here. One advantage of 1 rifle for both roles is that you could spend more on a good scope. If your budget allows for it and you go that route, look at the S&B 5-20x50 Ultra Short. Its light and performs well in any setting. It also costs 3.5K but its worth it.

From all rifles and scopes I owned, and there been a few, I settled for what I feel is the perfect in-between one do it all rifle and sold everything else. Light enough to drag along and no slouch at the range. TRG-22 with S&B Ultra short. But if I didnt already have that TRG, for the money, today knowing what I know, for that multipurpose role, I would get that Tikka deal, put my Bender (or that AMG) on it and never look back. At least not for quite a while :)

This is my humble opinion and nothing more then that. Hope it helps. Good luck, enjoy the journey.
Screenshot 2020-03-31 at 9.11.55 PM.png

Last edited:
You need a do all rig, I built one off a Origin action last year and couldn’t be happier with the way it turned out. In hindsight I would have done a shorter barrel but I geared it more towards the match side if things, but the 6creed smokes pretty much everything it contacts.
zermätt origin
PVA medium Palma barrel in 6creed
PVA jet brake
KRG bravo
TT Diamond
Atlas Bipod
E94B5992-C630-4E5D-BEB6-0E66C50971A5.jpeg

I'd agree that if you really want the best of either world, then yeah you want 2 rifles. One super light for hunting and one beefed up and heavy with match grade components. BUT....there's a way to get in the middle. I just built one.

I grabbed an HMR (non pro), pulled the barreled action, sold the Bergara default stock for a couple hundred, and dropped the barreled action in to a KRG Bravo chassis. The weight of the KRG chassis/stock feels about the same as the default HMR stock, BUT you can add weights. I got the fore end weight and heavy LOP spacers (there's a shop selling custom fab'd ones they've been promoting here on SH cheap that work), a couple MDT weights on the MLOK slots up front, and full length ARCA rail. Dropped an Ares ETR on top and I've got it weighed in at 14lbs. That's a little low for a lot of PRS shooters but I've run it off barricades and have no issue and many a shooter has started with just a stock HMR in the PRS world and done just fine. I'll also be adding a suppressor which will add a little more weight. If you wanna add a little more weight just put a Razor gen II on top for over 1/2 lbs more.

The Bergaras shoot lights out accurate. I do have an MPA competition gun that's heavied up real good but I'll definitely run this Bergara setup in a match one day for fun. I built it specifically as a competition trainer gun that I could remove the weights from to take hunting. I may even buy a more lightweight, lower mag optic to use for hunting.

All that said, another option would be to just buy an even better competition chassis that you can really beef up like an MPA comp chassis, XLR, MDT, whatever. Buy the HMR pro and use it as a hunting rifle. If you want to go complete, pull the barreled action off the Bergara stock and drop it in your weighted up competition chassis. It's 2 screws and takes 2 minutes. Then you've really got the best of both worlds and with a trigger and barreled action that you're used to shooting in both scenarios. I'd just stick with the HMR pro and at least get that slightly heavier barrel profile vs any type of super light barrel.
I really like this idea, but how does a hybrid gun work with the PRS production series? I thought I need to buy the whole rifle, not piecemeal it.

Still undecided, but you guys have me good ideas to go study. I just found this forum recently, posted my first question and i'm surprised by how responsive and thoughtful the responses are. Obviously this is a great community. Ok, I'll stop being mushy now.

Designated match rifle
Designated hunting rifle
Two different animals
One kills paper and steel
One kills animals

While I agree mostly there are applications where the ideal hunting rifle is a lot closer to what people would call a match rifle if they saw it...

What kind of hunting (range, animal, miles you plan to walk) all play a roll.

4-5 K doesn’t go far toward two rifles with optics, especially if they aren’t the same caliber. Even a Ruger American for hunting and Precision rifle for matches your in ~1,600, optics $800-$1,500 per gun, rings, a used bipod that works on both $150 and you’re at 4K without any ammo.

I'm building a match/hunting rifle right now. It's on a Bighorn TL3 action. I'm going to have a heavy barrel for match/target shooting and a light barrel for hunting (carbon Proof). Right now it's going in a Manners EH1 stock, which I think is a good dual purpose stock. With that setup I have 1 optic, 1 trigger, and 1 stock to get used to. Prefit barrels are easy to come by, and with interchangeable bolt heads, I can run any caliber that will fit in a short action. So that's another option. Go with an action that accepts prefit barrels. You might be able to get a much nicer rifle for your money if you go that route rather than 2 complete setups with optics.
This answer is what I would consider

Like mentioned above it will depend a lot on what type of hunting you are doing. A match rifle could pull double duty for some hunting situations.

If you want to do production series you would need to buy a complete rifle. You could obviously still buy a rifle built on an action that has prefit barrels available for it and a lighter weight stock if that would be more appropriate for whatever hunting you end up doing.

Newbie here, looking to buy my first bolt action. I have been strongly considering the Bergara Premier HMR. However, the more I learn, the more it seems like I need a heavy match rifle or a light hunting rifle. I haven't done either, but am interested in doing both other the coming years.

Here is how I understand it:
  • For match, I want a heavy profile barrel and sturdy stock. That will give better groups and handle recoil better so I can stay in my scope and see where the shots land.
  • In contrast, for hunting, I would want light carbon fiber stock and thin barrel profile because i don't want something heavy to carry around. In addition, I will only take one or two shots at a time, so I don't have to wrry about the effect of heat playing into the consistency of my shots.

So here's my question: Am I thinking about this correctly? Is the HMR a good starter for matches and hunting, but not great for either?

Some have said "man up" lol I went through this same dilemma for a few years. I settled on one do all rifle. It was a Desert Tech SRS A1. Fully loaded it came in at 18.5# with a Vortex Razor on it. I killed deer with it, hiked to 10,000 feet in Colorado in pursuit of elk, etc. and it was my target/match rifle. The weight was a bitch at times, but something about the confidence gained behind a heavy, accurate rifle put a smile on my face. Doing crossfit and wanting to look like a badass on internet forums gave me the grit needed to do it!

I have since traded away my SRS and now have a GAP Crusader and a new build on a Terminus Zeus action. Both are coincidentally 18.5#ish. They will be my do all comp/hunting rifles. I do agree with others that a dedicated rifle for each task is "better", but I do not want multiple rifles... which is why I will always have a switch barrel rifle (DT SRS then.... now a Terminus Zeus). I sacrificed function for cool and have NO RAGRETS! :)
Make that bitch as heavy as you can. Shoot steel with it. Hunt with it. Get a Eberlestock Pack and carry it on your back. Workout a lot. Be a stud. Look cool and have fun! Attaching lots of pics so you can see my heavy rifle at 9,000 in Colorado, and PRS Comps in Virginia. If I can do it you can do it.
I moved away from my SRS to simply get back to a traditional bolt design. It was an amazing rifle. I'll find some pics of my new rigs later.
Lightweight rifles are gay.

Attachments

• 20171124_175217.jpg
    20171124_175217.jpg
    466.4 KB · Views: 59
  • 20181106_074100.jpg
    20181106_074100.jpg
    693.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 20181104_101144.jpg
    20181104_101144.jpg
    608.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 20181106_082035.jpg
    20181106_082035.jpg
    463.2 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20181103_170202_208.jpg
    IMG_20181103_170202_208.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 70
  • 20181106_081114.jpg
    20181106_081114.jpg
    623.7 KB · Views: 83
  • 48414652_2180991018779099_6739082598305234944_o.jpg
    48414652_2180991018779099_6739082598305234944_o.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 50656813_1152733728233976_7229766187918295040_o.jpg
    50656813_1152733728233976_7229766187918295040_o.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20180724_070653_295.jpg
    IMG_20180724_070653_295.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 77
  • 20181122_070838.jpg
    20181122_070838.jpg
    677.2 KB · Views: 63
There’s a lot to consider.

Budget: can you afford two rigs? If so, it’s much better to invest in specialized weapons.

Skill level: are your fundamentals solid enough to move between rifles? If not, spend money on training. This also eliminates the need for “one caliber.” Once you dope a rifle and understand what wind mph works with it, you’re fine.

Practice time: goes hand in hand with skill level.

Type of hunting: if you’re walking from your truck to a blind a half mile away, who cares if your rifle is 20+ pounds? Just buy a match gun and hunt with it. If you’re hiking in 10 miles or moving up/down steep inclines, then you’ll want to invest in a lighter hunting rifle.

Overall purpose for matches: are you shooting matches to compete and win? Or are you using them to get better with your hunting rifle? If the latter, who cares if you take a 12lb rig to a match and only shoot 50-60%? You’re there to get better with your rifle that isn’t designed to play the game as well. No need for a full blown match rifle if you’re not there to win/compete.

I am definitely more confident using my match rifle to hunt with. I have thousands of rounds through it, and I know it will deliver my shot perfectly on target. I am a stand hunter and mounted an AIAT onto a tripod. Something I would not have considered before I started shooting matches.

that being said, if I had to hike anywhere with that rifle, I would maybe consider something lighter. Of course, you can always put a shorter lighter barrel on the AIAT easily enough.

the modularity of modern actions like the Origin, mentioned above, make it an easy enough task to invest money into the action and scope. Then you can always mount it into a different stock, or swap to a lighter barrel for hunting season. that seems like a pretty good route to take.

While it’s nice to have two rifles, I’d tell you that your primary mission drives the gear choices if you’re only doing one.

What is the most important thing you’re going to do?
What is the thing you will do most often?
Shoot matches? Hunt? Punching paper for fun?

There’s no wrong answer here so long as it’s an honest answer. There is no one here you need to impress and it won’t make a bit of difference to your shooting.

My advice - the action is the heart of the rifle, so get an action you want to own for life. Put it in a stock that fits you well - Manners, McMillan, PSE, KRG Bravo. Find the feature set you want or order it custom. Fancy adjustments are no substitute for a stock that fits properly (LOP especially) in the first place. Match the barrel and cartridge to the desired use.

Cheap to shoot? .308 or .30-06 have a LOT of cheap ammo to choose from and will do for any game you‘re likely to encounter. Less recoil, not gonna hunt anything larger than deer? .243 Winchester will do for that as well as small critters AND has a ton of cheap ammo. You want new hotness that won’t beat you up, has good factory options and isn’t too terribly expensive? 6.5 Creed or 6 Creed will do you.

If you know you’re gonna get serious about matches and not hunt much, that’s a certain kind of rifle. If you’re gonna dedicate yourself to the Grand Slam, and only enter matches to be a better hunter, that’s a certain/different kind of rifle. If you end up around 10 lbs in a standard caliber you’ll have a two World War winning weight rifle that’s not bad to shoot, not bad to carry and then you can adjust accordingly.

It really depends on what kind of hunting you are doing. Here is my elk hunting rig in 300 prc. Not the lightest but I will take accuracy over saving a few pounds.

Attachments

• 20200328_144647.jpg
    20200328_144647.jpg
    544.3 KB · Views: 72
Reactions: Faronth
The Hall Monitor beat me to it, but what type of hunting do you do? What game, terrain, distances walked, other gear carried...etc?
Good questions
Some have said "man up" lol I went through this same dilemma for a few years. I settled on one do all rifle. It was a Desert Tech SRS A1. Fully loaded it came in at 18.5# with a Vortex Razor on it. I killed deer with it, hiked to 10,000 feet in Colorado in pursuit of elk, etc. and it was my target/match rifle. The weight was a bitch at times, but something about the confidence gained behind a heavy, accurate rifle put a smile on my face. Doing crossfit and wanting to look like a badass on internet forums gave me the grit needed to do it!

I have since traded away my SRS and now have a GAP Crusader and a new build on a Terminus Zeus action. Both are coincidentally 18.5#ish. They will be my do all comp/hunting rifles. I do agree with others that a dedicated rifle for each task is "better", but I do not want multiple rifles... which is why I will always have a switch barrel rifle (DT SRS then.... now a Terminus Zeus). I sacrificed function for cool and have NO RAGRETS! :)
Make that bitch as heavy as you can. Shoot steel with it. Hunt with it. Get a Eberlestock Pack and carry it on your back. Workout a lot. Be a stud. Look cool and have fun! Attaching lots of pics so you can see my heavy rifle at 9,000 in Colorado, and PRS Comps in Virginia. If I can do it you can do it.
I moved away from my SRS to simply get back to a traditional bolt design. It was an amazing rifle. I'll find some pics of my new rigs later.
Lightweight rifles are gay.
Thanks for the pics. I like the idea of pushing myself harder the gym because I have a heavy ass rifle to lug around.

Just s
This was not on my radar. Thanks! I like to tinker, so swapping barrels would be enjoyable for me.
Just started switching barrels with prefits so far no problem at all. I swapped out 3 this week. The shoulders 2 were easier than the barrel nut but once u do 1 barrel nut it is quite simple good luck

Light is right and lighter is righter. No matter how hard you push yourself in the gym, a lighter pack will take you farther than a heavy one. And, a light gun doesn’t necessarily mean a lighter overall pack- it can mean more weight for food/water/shelter/first aid. Those are ultimately more important in a hunt than the difference between a 1/2 and 1 moa gun over practical hunting distances. My hunting rifle is a solid sub-moa gun out to 400y, which is further than I ever plan to shoot while hunting. Of course, my feeling is that if you can’t get to within bow range, your not really hunting anyway. It weighs 9.5 lbs, loaded, with a sling and the vortex viper pst scope.

Buy a Tikka and a decent scope in a caliber suited to what you plan to hunt and start researching options on a match gun. The used guns on here often offer big value for the dollar once you’ve decided what to watch for.
You're spot on about the deals. I didn't come here to buy stuff, but wow, the prices are good. I probably will end up picking up most of my gear from here.

I have “match” rifles with big m24 barrels and would not want to carry those through the woods or up into a deer stand.

a few years back I built my match/hunting double duty rifle. Here are the specs:

manners elite hunter stock
accurate ordinance SA in .308
proof 20” carbon barrel
leupold MK6 3-18 with the “good turrets”

im sure I’ll catch crap because people don’t like that scope. I agree, optically my NF’s are better, but this is 9/10 there while being one of the lightest 34mm scopes I could find.

at targets I cannot shoot this as well as a heavy gun with a 7-35 ATACR, but it does 95% of the job while being a great, light weight hunting rifle. If I could only keep one rifle, this would be it.

I have “match” rifles with big m24 barrels and would not want to carry those through the woods or up into a deer stand.

a few years back I built my match/hunting double duty rifle. Here are the specs:

manners elite hunter stock
accurate ordinance SA in .308
proof 20” carbon barrel
leupold MK6 3-18 with the “good turrets”

im sure I’ll catch crap because people don’t like that scope. I agree, optically my NF’s are better, but this is 9/10 there while being one of the lightest 34mm scopes I could find.

at targets I cannot shoot this as well as a heavy gun with a 7-35 ATACR, but it does 95% of the job while being a great, light weight hunting rifle. If I could only keep one rifle, this would be it.
Is it the scope or the brand that will catch flack? I've been eyeballing the Mark 5 HD. It would be on the lighter side, so it would play well on a hybrid build. Plus I like the idea of buying murican if I'm gonna spend 2k.

Is it the scope or the brand that will catch flack? I've been eyeballing the Mark 5 HD. It would be on the lighter side, so it would play well on a hybrid build. Plus I like the idea of buying murican if I'm gonna spend 2k.

People has spoken very highly of the MK5 line. I dont think the Leupold is made is America though, but I could be wrong. I think it might be assembled here, but most sports optics glass comes from Japan.

When the MK6 came out, people criticized it and compared it based on every feature except size and weight to scopes of a similar price point. I was willing to pay the price to get that size and weight. The turrets on the early ones were also pretty sucky design.

I have a crossover rifle because I choose to and I enjoy it. Pros and cons to it and everyone’s tastes and preference are different but mine certainly doesn’t hold me back when it comes to either hunting or shooting matches and it only takes a few minutes to change the barrel and re zero depending on what task I’ll be doing with it.
View attachment 7293289
The idea of "train how you fight" seems to apply here. Compete with what you'll hunt with.

That's a good looking gun. Thanks for the pic. Can you give me a parts list?

Reactions: rydah