• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hunting & Fishing Hunting Oregon

Aborigine

Private
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2009
Germany
Hello guys

I have a question about hunting in Oregon. This might sound a bit spoiled .... i have to chose where to do my master in Forest Engineering and i have two options : Oregon or New Zealand .....

Overall both Uni's have their advantages.... and both a really interesting.....

Now that my hobby is hunting, and that this hobby is something that is quite essential to me... i wanted to know a bit more about hunting in Oregon. NZ seems quite like a Hunter's Paradise to me ..... How about Oregon ?

Any Oregonians around who could help me a bit further ???

Re: Hunting Oregon

Depends a lot on what you want to shoot and where your going to be at. Going to OSU I assume?

hunting in NZ is a once in a lifetime opprotunity. Oregon is great and has good hunting but NZ is unreal. Red stag alone is enough for me. But that's just based on hunting. I'm sure there are other factors.

You going to try and bring your own rifle in from germany to any of these countries? you might want to check out the laws for each as that might be a major factor.

New Zealand. No doubt about it.

If your goal is to get a job eventually in the USA. New Zealand. We've got a lot of forestry folks who've done their masters in Forest Eng in Oregon already.

Seriously. It's not even a fair comparison.

Yes, i would go to OSU School of Forestry....

I would like to hunt biggame. I am not so interested in shotgun hunting. I did not quite understand how this tag-system works. How many tags can you buy for each animal per year ?

Regarding weapons ... to NZ it is absolutely no problem at all .... to the US i will try to figure out.. Thank you for that link !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scottishtornado</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You going to try and bring your own rifle in from germany to any of these countries? you might want to check out the laws for each as that might be a major factor. </div></div>

Do you hve any experience with that ?

Oregon huntingn is OK. If your a rifle then you have two choices:
East side of the state requires a lottery draw..I get my desired deer tags every other year, elk every three years! You have better draw odds if you pick a crappy hunting area. You are limited to hunting in your draw area. East side is mulie deer

When you do not draw a tag you are open to hunt the west side...west of the pacific crest trail. West side is for black tail. I hate the west side, brushy and wet..fogged in most of the time.

Tag prices are going up and the game numbers are going down due to piss poor management by a department of fish and game infiltrated by people who hate hunters. They want us to pay for the management but do not want us to use it.

If you bow hunt he get a elk tag and a deer tag, you can hunt where ever you want from the end of Aug to the end of Sep.

Hope that helps, I do not know what NZ is like, but it can not be as bad as it is here. I would choose NZ. Plus the beavers suck! Go Ducks!

Thank you for that input....

I still have some time to think about that, so i will think about that. As one of you said, i think foresters from Oregon State University have a fairly good reputation and in contrast to Germany , it seems to me that there is still some money to be made in Forestry in the US and also Canada. So probably this decision will have to be based upon more then just hunting.

Apart from that i guess Oregon has a lot of beautiful landscapes to enjoy that make it worth going there. And i also heard good things about the people there....

Dont they have pigs that can be hunted year round ?

@Willy : NZ is Hunters Paradise. Hunting on public land is free and all game animals are considered pests... so there is plenty to hunt... from chamois over boar and wallabee to deer and thar.

I also have a bow since christmas (Bear Grizzly) but i think i will have to train a bit more to hit an animal properly.....

I hunt mostly western Oregon. This last year I bow hunted Roosevelt elk, usually small herds, and they are tricky to hunt. Same with blacktail. Blacktail are smaller but a very fun hunt. There are many places in a short drive to hunt. Three hours east of Salem and it is desert. Western Oregon is more tall timber and clear cuts. Also it seems as though there are millions of bears and cougars.
IMG_0569.jpg
IMG_0568.jpg

We went in the next morning to get the cat it was close to dark and it went into the brush,rather wait till morning than corner a wounded cat.
IMG_0580.jpg

WoW !

That cougar looks impressive ! Do you eat them, or do you just take the fur ? They seem to be fairly heavy !

My first instinct was the say NZ, but it may have something to do with the fact I have lived here my whole life. One nice thing is there is quite a bit of hunting here, and if you enjoy other activities, especially outdoor, you have other states and even Canada within easy driving distance.