• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting rifle choices, questions

mark5pt56

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2005
Florida
Ok, my son wants a wood stocked rifle and I have some questions if you have experience on them. He was thinking of a 7mm-08, not bad, just getting him into the larger caliber since there may be an Elk hunt in there but also have a caliber that's not "overkill" I currently have the Winchester Extreme Weather in both .308 and 30-06, since I told him he would get both one day, go for the .270. While I would like him to get the same model, he's after the wood stock option. While I like the Winchester, looking at other options such as the Tikka and maybe Browning A or X bolt. He has a 700 in 30-06 but that's the last 700 and will be on the chopping block.

As you can see, straight up stock rifle more than likely the same VX6 2-12 with illumination scope as the 70's (unless there another option)

So, whatcha think?

Mark

Model 70 Featherweight, Bolt Action Deer Elk Big Game Rifle -- Winchester Repeating Arms -- Product Model

Tikka T3 Hunter .270 Win JRTA318 with Rings

Browning A-Bolt Rifles,*Firearms, Product Family

Browning X-Bolt Rifles,*Firearms, Product Family

I had an a-bolt in 300 wsm with the boss compensator.
It kicked around the same as my .243, but it was really loud.

But that thing shot lights out.

My son started hunting with my 300wsm when he was twelve but eventually wanted a rifle of his own. His only request was something with less recoil. I ended up getting him a .260 and he loves it. Just seeing the excitement in his eyes and the joy he has when we’re out shooting steel is better than any hunt I’ve been on.

That being said any of the four you’ve listed would probably make a fine hunting rifle. I’m sure your son would be thrilled with whichever his dad bought him. If it were me, I would at least try to get him the caliber of his choice.

Last edited:
I know .308 will kill elk dead right there

For a lightweight rifle, I would go with a short action caliber (sans short magnums), unless if it has a muze brake. That's just me

Get him the 7-08...Tikka is a good choice and their wood stocks aren't so nice you are afraid to take them out in the field.

I have and use all three manufactured rifles.

Either winchester can be restocked into a take-off winchester sporting stock or aftermarket Boyd's stock. The extreme stainless barrel looks great in a pepper laminated stock. Just get it bedded.

Pros. The winchester makes for a nice rifle in style and function. ( I like the newer control round /push feed). Bolt mounted safety is easy to use and locks bolt from opening while packing through deep timber.

Cons. Winchester rifles can be very finicky with ammo. Will shoot some weights/lengths into clover leafs, and others 1.5 Moa no matter what. Can weigh over 8 lbs even in a featherweight stock.

Tikka are all the same size action, although the bbl length on the mag rifles are the longest. And there is a compact version in 308 and 7-08 that have a 20" bbl. the tikka will eat and shoot most ammo into sub Moa three round groups. It comes with a detachable polymer mag (fits perfect into front pocket) and the rifle is built to tight quality controls. Trigger is crisp and bolt is smoothest of all three. The rifle is the best balanced (IMHO). And the rifle can also be restocked in a nice Boyd's stock ( the mountain after market stock that is out there appears to be a Boyd's with all the checkering but seems a little over priced. The stocks are best straight for Boyd's.

Pros. Light (7-7.5) scoped with a vx3, we'll balanced great performing /accurate utilitarian rifle. All stocks fit all rifles, since they are all long action. Safety also locks bolt to prevent the rifle from opening unintentionally.

Cons. Parts and options are a little scarce. But honestly, one can take a tikka right out of the box, runs a few patches, scope/ sight in and hunt. There really is no need to change anything, only aesthetics for the shooter

Remmy.

Been around a long time and best if you can find an older one. Parts available everywhere with factory takeoff and aftermarket stocks and triggers. Can shoot consistent with the right load, no where as finicky as the Winny.

Pros. So many parts available you can dress it up or down for your hunting needs. The traditional wood and steel are similar to the winchester. Older models have smooth actions and tighter quality.

Cons. The newer models are pretty crappy, with long throats and excessive headspace. Crappy recalled triggers and just poor quality control. Remington has rung out their Name Branding and the only thing they have not done is had these rifles built in China.

Any rifle caliber and chambering can be loaded down to 7-08 velocity and energy and still be effective at closer ranges. The 270 or 30-06 will be a do all and everything rifle with the 270 a little on the flatter shooting side. The 308 can do everything as we'll and under 500y really won't matter what you get. The short action of the 308 will allow for shorter scoping options without using offset rings (unless you are using a rail which makes this point moot. This is for the Remington and Winchester.

Last edited:
The Winchester in 7-08 would be my choice if I did not already have a lifetime supply of .308 and .30-'06 brass. .30-'06 can be loaded down with H4895 to match the recoil of the 7-08, but the 7mm bullet ballistics will always be better. He made a good choice in that selection; affirm his choice. Winchester is the best hunting rifle - if that Featherweight doesn't have a recoil pad, put on a LimbSaver Anti-Muzzle-Jump recoil pad (they are really great!); Winchester safety locks the firing pin, which is the safest safety; the bolt can be disassembled in the field without tools, in case of a mud bath, and if they are bedded well, they can shoot as accurate as any other rifle on the market. I have seen a .30-'06 in a Classic Sporter never miss out to 750 yards, on gongs, and hit as consistently as the big boys (.338 Lapua) at 1,000 yards, depending on the shooter. 7-08 is every bit as good, even from a 22" barrel. I had a 6.5x55 Winchester Featherweight 22" factory barrel that shot 0.292" group for 5 shots at 60 second intervals at 100 yards, and was still reliably accurate at 750-1,000 yards; I just got tired of loading odd calibers.
Jim

Cool, Looks like the Browning feedback isn't there, so down to The 70 or Tikka. Familiar with the 70 of course as I have two now and a couple FN's. I do reload but looking to go to off the shelf for the most part as I have with the two 70's now. While I've never shot a .270, no idea ref recoil. Know it would be less than the 06, he's not recoil shy but no need to be beat up by any of the SM or mag's. Just need to narrow down the brand and confirm caliber.
Keep it coming in on the two!

Thanks

Mark

I vote for the Tikka or Abolt. I have 2 Abolt rifles and I love them. Solid rifles. Get the BOSS system on a 300 and it will shoot like a .270. Muzzle brake the rifle for your son, he won't get beat up too bad. I personally don't like the Model 70, trigger is terrible. I have taken my A bolts to a lot of places, they are extremely reliable.

Get him the 7-08...Tikka is a good choice and their wood stocks aren't so nice you are afraid to take them out in the field.

+1. All the Tikka's I have seen perform.

Same on the 7-08. You guys have 308 and 30-06 in the safe so 270 isn't offering you anything very different. The 7-08 can throw a heavy bullet and gives good ballistic performance in a short action

He's looking hard on the .270 and the Winchester Featherweight #535200226-just need to find it now. Although the Tikka is a nice choice, never know. I like that compact 08 in the Tikka-for me

Either one should be available at buds. I had good experience with them. That's where I got my featherweight in 7x57

Went with the X bolt in .270. He'll be happy, it's his first purchased firearm. Thank you.

Do yourself and your son a favor a consider Savage as well. Their out of the box accuracy is as good or better than any other stock rifle.