• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hunting rifle choices (Whitetail)

VAyoungGunner

Private
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2018
So I am in the market for a new hunting rifle, I’ve got a Hybrid 46 in NFA jail that will go on it while hunting so it needs to have a threaded barrel. Hunting distances range from 50-600 yards but I’d like to reach 800 recreationally shooting. My budget is $1400 for the rifle, I’m looking closely at the browning hells canyon and Bergara HMR 14 and both seem to have a lot of good experiences. Looking for any first hand experiences with these two or other recommendations!

Thanks in advanced!!!

+1 on the Tikka, I have three, love the action. Plenty of choices for hunting, though for deer sized animals and longer targets it is hard to beat a 6.5 CM.

It would help if you specified the type of hunting you're going to be doing. Will you be walking around the mountains or sitting in a tree stand?

Reactions: FatBoy and CJS-6.5
It would help if you specified the type of hunting you're going to be doing. Will you be walking around the mountains or sitting in a tree stand?
More or less 75% sitting and hunting a tripod or tree stand and 25% stalk and shooting.

I took my Tikka 6.5cm hunting this yr, again. It goes to the range too. If I didn’t have the Tikka option I would get the HMR

Bergara B-14 HMR, shot the Browning Hell's Canyon a couple of weeks ago and it could not touch my HMR in accuracy. It was 1MOA or more and my HMR was from .4 to .7 MOA in shot groups.

I bought a Sauer 100, 6.5 CM year before last, extremely accurate rifle. I'm not sure if there is a threaded muzzle option or not though.

By your response, your definitely going to need a hunting rifle that is light enough to do a practical tree stand hunt or stalk with, and not a one-ton bench rest rifle that you will need a hoist to get into a tree and three Sherpa guides to carry. But, by the distances you want to shoot, you will still need something that is heavy enough to be steady. You might look into something that is the mix of both worlds like one of the tactical or varmint bolt action rifle offerings in the caliber of your choice. I know that with the type of hunting I do, a precision rifle wouldn't work very well. As far a caliber goes, for hunting, it's all about bullet weight and terminal velocity. You need to be able to put some bullet weight on the target at a good speed at the distances you described. Consider this when you choose your caliber.

Reactions: VAyoungGunner
The hell's canyon speed is an awesome rifle. I prefer it over the tikka t3. I think it's a better overall rifle right out of the box. Own both. I have hell's canyon speed in 300wsm and 300win HC LR and both will clover leaf three in a row. 4 and 5 open it up a little in the speed barrels, but still under an inch 5 round groups. First 3 are under half inch most of the time. But on hunting rigs 3 round groups is plenty good for me with LW barrels. I practice with them at 700 off the porch and hammer an 8 inch plate every time. I would say I hit a 4x4 inch square plate 7/10 at 700. The stock is so nice, and the grip of it is awesome, browning takes it here by far. The action is smooth and the 60 degree throw is really nice. They both have external bolt releases and fluted barrels. The bolt unlock on the browning is a huge plus for me. The cerakote on the browning is a nice extra. Muzzle brake too. Just overall feels better then the t3 does to me. Not saying the tikka is bad at all, just I prefer the Browning when comparing the two side by side. I do use a Bradley cheek rest on both to raise it up a little bit.

I love my Sakos too. I just have a hard time taking my Sakos into the brush when they look so nice I want to put them on the wall! They do shoot though! Same with my Remingtons, they work well but not the quality of a sako. Everything has it's good and bad. But for an out of the box rifle you don't have to or don't want to do anything to, the Hell's canyon is hard to beat for a rugged out of the box hunting rig. And it hammers... At least mine do. Both the Tikka and Browning have 1 moa guarantee. So I wouldn't worry about that.

Last edited:
It's over your budget but for a little more you can get a Christensen MPR which is a great rifle. If you absolutely have to stay under $1400 though you can't beat a Kimber Montana. They come threaded now as well as in 6.5 Creedmoor which would be a great choice for what you're wanting to do. You could easily keep it 9-10lbs with the can and a fairly beefy LR type optic which is enough weight to still comfortably shoot for an extended session, but not so much it will wear you out hiking around.

Maybe a 20" CTR in 6.5 creedmoor. Heavy enough for informal target shooting and light enough for a 13 y/o to carry around hunting. Might be a little on the slow side for 500yd+ on deer, IMHO.

downsized-1124180941 markup.jpg

I took a custom Tikka 6.5 Creedmoor hunting rig in on a trade that I would let go for below your budget. I don't hunt so its just sitting in the closet, its not listed for sale anywhere, I just offer it up for those looking for something specific.
just send me a Pm if you would like some details
96CILOe+T7ClRU7YeKKX0A.jpg

I also really like my Christensen MPR.

However if that’s too far out of your price range, you could get some 30/40% off coupons for the Seekins Havak and be close to your price point.

Tikka CTR 24" in 6.5 creedmoor. Spend $10 on a trigger spring, buy a good scope and rings and you are done.

How about a Christensen Arms Mesa? I’m seeing them go under your $1400 limit and they’re threaded and cerakoted.

I'll take a new Model 70 over ANYTHING tacticool that has been suggested here. And I've owned my share of high end production hunting rifles including a CZ 550 and Sako 75.

Is that a swfa scope? Nice little buck too.
Yes. About 1400 in the whole thing including sling and brake. Bought everything but the rifle here in the px. Second deer that's killed, both by my boy. Last year was a small spike. If he stays on the same trajectory, next year should be a hoss. Lol.

Reactions: wade2big
Realize that "hunting rifle" and "recreational mid/long range rifle" are two different beasts. At best, your choice will be a compromise (somewhat unweildy for hunting or somewhat too light for real precision) and will as likely as not disappoint to some degree on both fronts. A deer hunting rifle is carried a lot and shot little. A precision rifle is carried little but shot a lot. My deer rifle is an early 90s vintage rem 700 mountain rifle in 270win. It weighs less than 8 lbs, loaded, with sling and vortex viper pst 6-24x50 scope. My recreational long range rifle weighs- conservatively- twice that, and is chambered in the (much) milder 6.5 creedmoor. They are each purpose built for their task and both excel within their "lane." My recommendation is to take a real hard look at what you REALLY want this rifle to do, and buy based on that. Carrying a match rifle from a pickup to a box blind in the dark sucks. Eating long-action recoil from a light rifle for a day of "fun" kind of sucks too. The mark of a great compromise is that, in the end, no one walks away happy.

I have Tikka CTR 260 20” 1/2” groups at 100yds with hsm. It’s not to heavy to carry the 10rd mags are nice since they don’t stick out past the Triggerguard like the AICS and I’ve taken it out to1084yds easily

Reactions: Stooxie and 260284
I'll take a new Model 70 over ANYTHING tacticool that has been suggested here. And I've owned my share of high end production hunting rifles including a CZ 550 and Sako 75.

My dad's Win70 is probably the smoothest from what we now own. We have Howa 1500, Rem700 Win70 Mossberg patriot, and I think my dad had a savage a few years ago. The Win70 is very nicely built and pretty accurate too. It's his deer rifle he won't trade for anything lol.

I vote for a Christiansen Arms Mesa in 6.5 creedmoor. I have one in 300win and it’s a sub MOA gun all day and the 6.5 is plenty for whitetails out to 400+. There are a few videos online of guys getting .75-.5 accuracy with factory ammo. They can be had for 1150-1250. Not sure how they make them for that but they are well built.

I bought a Tikka T3 for less than $400. Threw away the stock and barrel. Sent it to PVA for a cut rifled barrel and put it in a XLR Element stock for around $1300. It is one of my favorite guns. This way you get exactly what you want. A few manufacturers also make barrel nut prefits for Tikkas as well so you can do it all yourself.

Reactions: 260284 and Stooxie
I have Tikka CTR 260 20” 1/2” groups at 100yds with hsm. It’s not to heavy to carry the 10rd mags are nice since they don’t stick out past the Triggerguard like the AICS and I’ve taken it out to1084yds easily

7-10-17 1042.jpg7-10-17 555.jpg7-10-17 558.jpg

This is my 20" 260 CTR with the factory stock and in a GGS Predator. The groups are at 500 yards from the Manfrotto tripod in the factory stock. It is a 6.5 Creed with a 23.5" medium palma Bartlein now and weighs 12.5 lbs with the suppressor and an empty magazine. I hunted with the medium palma barrel last year, but I put a factory take off 20" 6.5 barrel on it for deer season for this year. It may not be ideal for either, but it works for hunting and for matches.10-6-17 004.JPG
The German Gun Stock is a lot of stock for the $$. There should be a couple of the lighter Ranger models arriving any day now for my son's 270 and my rifle. The aluminum mini-chassis is a bonus, no bedding needed and is super solid.

Reactions: Mblackmon4

Haven’t played with the 70’s in a long damn time. How do the new ones stack up against the old ones? Pretty tough to beat a Sako for a hunting rifle with a stock trigger but as I mentioned......I have only played with the old ones. Sako 85 and A7 Roughtech Range would be what I drag around today.

The FN-made Model 70 is as good as the pre 64. That's my opinion comparing store samples to the pre 64 that I had until recently.

I know the Winchester collectors will piss themselves but I don't care. Im making a detached observation with nothing invested in the outcome, unlike them.

The FN-made Model 70 is as good as the pre 64. That's my opinion comparing store samples to the pre 64 that I had until recently.

I know the Winchester collectors will piss themselves but I don't care. Im making a detached observation with nothing invested in the outcome, unlike them.

Sounds like I’d consider them again? Pop never shot anything else and my brothers wound up with the 70’s with recoil. He still shoots a Win in 22-250 and 223 but he burned up their barrels on prairie dogs and they wear Krieger barrels now. I gotta admit that I’m partial to Sako now as that’s all I’ve shot in a bolt gun with acception to my 300 RUM Sendero. Only draw back to a Sako/Tikka for me is that locally not many “Gun Smiths” will work on them due to metric threading.

Realize that "hunting rifle" and "recreational mid/long range rifle" are two different beasts. At best, your choice will be a compromise (somewhat unweildy for hunting or somewhat too light for real precision) and will as likely as not disappoint to some degree on both fronts. A deer hunting rifle is carried a lot and shot little. A precision rifle is carried little but shot a lot. My deer rifle is an early 90s vintage rem 700 mountain rifle in 270win. It weighs less than 8 lbs, loaded, with sling and vortex viper pst 6-24x50 scope. My recreational long range rifle weighs- conservatively- twice that, and is chambered in the (much) milder 6.5 creedmoor. They are each purpose built for their task and both excel within their "lane." My recommendation is to take a real hard look at what you REALLY want this rifle to do, and buy based on that. Carrying a match rifle from a pickup to a box blind in the dark sucks. Eating long-action recoil from a light rifle for a day of "fun" kind of sucks too. The mark of a great compromise is that, in the end, no one walks away happy.

IMHO: This is the best post. Hunting rilfe, get a hunter. Target rifle, get a target.

Hunting rifle - Ruger American $500 (or so) with a Vortex Scope. Take your pick of the models.
Add a $10 trigger spring (easily installed). If you want to, put epoxy in the stock. (stiffens it up).
Then spend $500 on ammo and practice.

Reactions: stello1001
Only draw back to a Sako/Tikka for me is that locally not many “Gun Smiths” will work on them due to metric threading.

I like how you put those "smiths" in quotation marks! Seriously, that excuse it total BS. The action screws are 6mm (readily available), but the barrel tenon is American 1" x 16 TPI and muzzle threads (if any) are standard 5/8x24. The receiver is very easy to work with due to the flat sides. Tikka's make excellent builder's rifles.

The reason many gunsmiths won't touch them is:
1) They can't make much money off them because they don't need anything.
2) They just don't "know" about them and assume they are some funky Euro crap.

I've gotten the same run-around from ones I've spoken to as well. Seek out the ones that know what they are talking about and they regard Tikka's quite highly. LRI knows how to work a Tikka. I found a local guy who does as well.

-Stooxie

Reactions: 260284
Spend the money on a Tikka at minimum and Sako on the high end of your budget. Consider Kimber and Winchester on the high end as well. All the ones the guys have mentioned come with actions that you can build on down the road and be pleased with. All of them come in light configurations for hunting. Nothing wrong with the Ruger American but it doesn’t come with an action that I personally would want to build on down the road.

Reactions: 260284 and Stooxie
Spend the money on a Tikka at minimum and Sako on the high end of your budget. Consider Kimber and Winchester on the high end as well. All the ones the guys have mentioned come with actions that you can build on down the road and be pleased with. All of them come in light configurations for hunting. Nothing wrong with the Ruger American but it doesn’t come with an action that I personally would want to build on down the road.

Very much agree with this. Here's a cool little tidbit: If you buy a Tikka T3x compact the barrel is actually a little heavier than the regular ones (only because they don't scale the contour). So a compact 308 barrel has a muzzle diameter of .650 rather than the usual .632 on the 22" barrels. Ends up being kind of a #3.5 contour. Perfect for threading if you want a suppressor.

Here's a recipe for success:

Buy a Tikka T3x Compact in whatever caliber suits you.
Buy $10 trigger upgrade spring if you want < 2ish pounds
Buy a GRS Berserk stock (you can get a CTR version if your caliber is 308 case based, or use the plastic)
Buy a set of Warne 1" or 30mm rings

There. Now you have a fully adjustable, guaranteed MOA (and with the stock, most likely 0.5 to 0.75 MOA), handy 20" rifle with a fantastic trigger. If you find some good deals (i.e. now) you're MAYBE at $1,250. If you buy a CTR inlet stock you'll need to buy someone's mag and bottom metal as well, so add another $100. I have both CTR and plastic in my GRS stocks. I don't mind the plastic setup/mags at all. They work perfectly and are light weight.

Down the line you can replace the barrel, hydro drip the stock, Cerakote the whole dang thing, flute the bolt, whatever.

What's not to love?

-Stooxie

I like how you put those "smiths" in quotation marks! Seriously, that excuse it total BS. The action screws are 6mm (readily available), but the barrel tenon is American 1" x 16 TPI and muzzle threads (if any) are standard 5/8x24. The receiver is very easy to work with due to the flat sides. Tikka's make excellent builder's rifles.

The reason many gunsmiths won't touch them is:
1) They can't make much money off them because they don't need anything.
2) They just don't "know" about them and assume they are some funky Euro crap.

I've gotten the same run-around from ones I've spoken to as well. Seek out the ones that know what they are talking about and they regard Tikka's quite highly. LRI knows how to work a Tikka. I found a local guy who does as well.

-Stooxie

Kinda my opinion as well and why I put gun smith in quotes. Frustrated as hell and the guy that I currently have spinning up a new Krieger barrel to turn my Sako A7 25-06 into a 6.5-284 laughed about it. His comment was are they a gun smith or not. Best action and most accurate out of the box production rifle are Sako and Tikka IMHO.

Are you in AZ?

Below is pretty much the same thing but with a 22" T3 270win, 5 round mag and GRS Hunter stock. The Berserk does not need to be bedded. I bed the laminate stocks myself, it's pretty simple with a Tikka. My smallest group so far (haven't shot it that much) is 0.42 MOA, 5 shots of Federal Fusion 130gr.

Cerakote and fluting done by LRI. It's a little hard to see the color but it's Cobalt Kinetics Green (gorgeous in person).

-Stooxie

20180930_190851.jpg

+1 for Tikka. One of the smoothest actions and nicest out of the box triggers I've ever experienced.