• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting Rifle Light, Fast, and Quality

Fred Bear

Private
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2022
TN
I am looking into buying a bolt action rifle, most likely in .308. This will be my only bolt action and larger caliber rifle. I primarily want it for deer season and occasional recreational shooting. I hunt national forest and like to walk a longgg ways in. The area I hunt often has dogs running deer so I want a gun that is decent in low light but also offers fast shouldering and target aquistion. I have it pretty much narrowed down to the savage 110 tactical hunter with a heavier 18" barrel or the ruger predator .308 with a 18" barrel. I understand both are free floated and have what shooters consider cheap flimsy stocks but as I keep my shots on game under 200 yards I don't think it will matter much. As an unexperienced shooter here are my pros and cons for now.

• 110 series actions are not the economy line in savage, likely higher quality than the ruger american line.
  • Heavier barrel may make it more accurate if shot in different positions in the field. Off hand, off pack, leaning on tree, and etc.
  • Retain value, as 110s are higher quality if I decide to upgrade my rifle may be a better starting platform.
Ruger Predator
  • Lower cost
  • Lighter, may be quicker to shoulder.
  • Specs say it's shorter, better for hiking through the woods.
What are people's thoughts. If cost is not a big factor, as it is a rifle I expect to own for years the difference is pretty small already.
What are the real benefits of a heavier barrel if not shooting for tight groups in fast succession? Are heavier barrels mainly a benefit for range shooting?

My factory ruger american predator in 6.5cm shot stupid small groups for a 300 dollar rifle. I did wind up changing out a bunch of the mim parts for billet and eventually the stock and a 7.5 twist barrel to shoot the 156 because I can't leave shit alone.

Reactions: Gwak2006
Why do you want a .308, and why are those your top 2 options?

A Tikka CTR in 6.5 CM w/ 20” barrel will have a better action and trigger, with a good enough stock and tons of aftermarket support if you decide you want to play with it.

If the extra 2” is a deal breaker, you can get a Bergara B14 Ridge in 6.5 CM with an 18” barrel.

Last edited:
Tikka Lite or Superlite in .308 or 6.5 creedmoor, or if you want to suppress it, a CTR model. Stay away from heavy barrels, don’t ever use the barrel as a rest anyways.

I like the Tikka factory stock for hunting, lightweight and good purchase and extremely smooth running guns with great accuracy and triggers. The safety locks the bolt closed.

Tikka superlite/lite in either 7mm-08 or 308 if going inside of 200 yards then stock up on Fusion 150gr if 308 or 140 if 7-08. Doesn’t get any easier than that. Easy to find, very accurate, very good on game. You could keep it light by putting a 1in 3-9 accupoint which is only 12oz and will be decent glass for low light hunts. Factory plastic tikka stock is fine for hunting but you could always go with a manners carbon fiber, MDT HTN26 chassis or the Wildcats which are very very nice and light.

If you don't want a suppressor, get a Kimber Hunter. Cheap and very effective. I love my 243 for walking around.

If you get a Savage, get one with the Accufit stock. I have the high country in 6.5CM. No need to throw the stock away.

I would get a long action in either.

Last edited:
Reactions: Major Wader
You will get some incredibly different opinions on this one…

I prefer a Howa in .270 with a Vortex scope. VERY solid and accurate rifle, just on the heavy side. The .270 is a good all around caliber that shoots flat and has the power for just about anything you may want to hunt (cue the elephant comment…). Vortex scopes are solid and hold a lifetime warranty, which I’ve never had to use.

Tikka would be my first choice, you should look at the CVA bolt rifles, CVA is sister company with Bergara, so same barrels and lower price.

I like the .308 for deer. If price isn’t a concern you may want to considera Q Fix, or at least handle one before purchasing your only bolt action rifle. Good luck with that by the way.

Tikka’s are slick and a solid choice too.

A 16” .308 Fix is light and ideal for hiking with. I really like it’s compactness while on/in a stand. A light scope and rings, a compact suppressor and a padded Vicker’s sling on a Fix would be a good option as well.

Savage rifles may not be as " refined " as the Tikkas and Bergaras ( which are fine rifles, no question ) , but they`ll hit what you`re shooting at just as well. Vortex scopes are good, solid scopes for hunting. Really like my 110 Storm ( stainless, which is something to consider in a hunting rifle IMO ).

Reactions: Digetydog
The easy button is a Tikka Compact, 7-08 or a .308. The 7-08 is extremely mild and if in a cold climate the shorter LOP is nice with heavy cloths, if not, it's not that short to be a hindrance. Put some Talley one piece aluminum rings and a decent light scope on it and you are running. Stay in the 2-10/3-9, etc range on the scope, simple duplex reticle is all you need, one with an illuminated center dot is a plus.

DOn't over think it, fairly simple. Of course someone will post a pic of their custom whiz bang 4k rig and tell you that's the answer. It all depends on what you want to spend on the hobby, sport, need, etc.

idea's

if you can swing it, best hunting scope I ever had next to a red dot for whitetail thick woods

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the replies.

I know .308 is not necessary for deer and hogs but it is readily available and capable if I ever get the chance to hunt larger game.

I liked these two models due to ergonomics and price point. The tikka ctr does look good, I hadn't considered that rifle. I did not see any in my area.

It seems like to most the heavier barrel on the 110 savage hunter would not offer any benefit. So it comes down to preference, which I do like the open top of the 110 action. The predator looks like it would be hard to load a round from the top.

Just my experiences,
I hunt with Tikka Rifles, mine are accurate, tuff and simple. I have installed a few improvements that I wanted, and with a good optic, they get the job done.( deer, coyote) Calibers, 22-250, .223, 30-06.

I will echo what everyone else said... get a Tikka. I recently put this together for a similar type build. I wanted a lightish 308 Win with enough heft to make time at the range enjoyable and followup shots easier. I am real happy with it as far as weight, balance, and handling. With the NF 2.5-10x42 scope, McMillan A3 Carbon Edge stock, Dead Air Nomad LT suppressor, it weighs about 3.25 pounds less than my 20 inch 308 TRG with a 56mm obj scope and TBAC 30p-1.

I am about to load up my first rounds for it today. If it shoots anything like my Sako TRGs or my Tikka 223 CTR, I am going to love it! A CTR and KRG Bravo would be a very economical, comfortable, and accurate setup.
EE78553C-E3D8-49A5-80B2-D7A59B412DF4.jpeg

I use a Tikka Ultralite 270 (with a camo-print stock) on the deers usually. (Otherwise I'll take my shorter but a bit heavier CZ 557 .308).

I just use your garden variety soft tips for deer hunting. Never going to be north of 200 yards for a shot where I'm at.

Tikka has a 2.5-10 Vortex scope that's sufficient. The CZ has a 2.5-8 Leupold scope, which I like better glass-wise. When out deer hunting, I've never gone beyond 4x on the zoom. I am considering swapping to fixed 4x scopes. I have a Nikon example that beats both glass-wise all day.

5C5DFDEC-2656-4393-BFC0-2EBED1CA4BD8.jpeg

My favorite hunting rifle is a T3x .243. It’s in a McMillan edge with a NF 3-10x42 SHV. Whitetail, pigs, or varmints it has not left me wanting in any way. Stupid accurate with 90gr Nosler BT at 3150fps. It shoots a few loads to same POI at 100yds, so I just keep drop charts in Strelok for the different loads. 99% of the times I’ve pulled the trigger have been inside 200yds and it’s just point and shoot.

You mentioned hunting in a dog club. In that case I’d suggest the T3x compact in .308 or 6.5cm paired with a 30mm LPVO in the 1-6x or 1-8x range.

Reactions: Charlie112
View attachment 7923372
My favorite hunting rifle is a T3x .243. It’s in a McMillan edge with a NF 3-10x42 SHV. Whitetail, pigs, or varmints it has not left me wanting in any way. Stupid accurate with 90gr Nosler BT at 3150fps. It shoots a few loads to same POI at 100yds, so I just keep drop charts in Strelok for the different loads. 99% of the times I’ve pulled the trigger have been inside 200yds and it’s just point and shoot.

You mentioned hunting in a dog club. In that case I’d suggest the T3x compact in .308 or 6.5cm paired with a 30mm LPVO in the 1-6x or 1-8x range.
Thanks for the 1-6 LVPO recommendation. That is exactly what I would want and did not know about them (I am new to shooting), however I do not want to break the bank. I would like to spend less than $300 on scope and I didn't like the reticals onthe first two options, vortex strike eagle and PAs, I saw. But how well does the illumination work for low light hunting? Are there downsides to LVPOs for hunting?

Would a 2-7 more traditional scope be more effective for low light hunting? Or more valuable, the 1-6 LVPOs look like they are specifiic to AR shooting competitions more than sportsnman uses. But the 1x capabilities does appeal to me quite a bit. Not sure if it makes much of difference stalking through thicker woods with a 1x or 2x.

Last edited:
Or more valuable, the 1-6 LVPOs look like they are specifiic to AR shooting competitions more than sportsnman uses.
Your impression is incorrect. Reticles are agnostic to the rifle's intended use.

Illumination can be adjusted to desired brightness.

6.5 Creedmoor is the new 308 although it really make no difference, especially at your ranges. Don't get a big heavy barrel.

Get a Tikka or a Bergara--its worth the upcharge.

I bought my boy a ruger american predator in 6.5cm. It's an amazing rifle for the price. It was the package with the Vortex and I would definitely reccomend it. It shoots very well and he has taken several deer with it now. I also have a savage 110 ultralight and its ok. It cost a twice what the ruger did, the action is still rough and shoots the same. For the same money as the savage I'd probably to Tikka. However for the $500'ish range I really liked the Ruger with aics pattern mags. He can carry a extra mag or two in his bag instead of using a ammo carrier for the same weight and size.

I use a Tikka Ultralite 270 (with a camo-print stock) on the deers usually. (Otherwise I'll take my shorter but a bit heavier CZ 557 .308).

I just use your garden variety soft tips for deer hunting. Never going to be north of 200 yards for a shot where I'm at.

Tikka has a 2.5-10 Vortex scope that's sufficient. The CZ has a 2.5-8 Leupold scope, which I like better glass-wise. When out deer hunting, I've never gone beyond 4x on the zoom. I am considering swapping to fixed 4x scopes. I have a Nikon example that beats both glass-wise all day.
I hunted with a Leupold M8 4X scope for many years and killed lots of game with it atop a Winchester model 70 Featherweight in .30-06. I always found that the 4X was never on the wrong power or parrellex setting.

I bought my boy a ruger american predator in 6.5cm. It's an amazing rifle for the price. It was the package with the Vortex and I would definitely reccomend it. It shoots very well and he has taken several deer with it now. I also have a savage 110 ultralight and its ok. It cost a twice what the ruger did, the action is still rough and shoots the same. For the same money as the savage I'd probably to Tikka. However for the $500'ish range I really liked the Ruger with aics pattern mags. He can carry a extra mag or two in his bag instead of using a ammo carrier for the same weight and size.
I wish the predator 18" .308 would accept AISC mags... That would make my selection easy.

I thought I read you were able to swap out the mag well for different style mags.

I don't know rifles well enought to know what can be converted. But that link describes the rotary detachable box it comes with.

I don't know rifles well enought to know what can be converted. But that link describes the rotary detachable box it comes with.

I was reading about them on another site. But this showed up as the first Google search.

Low most likely.
As far as rings. Does name brand or quality matter that much? They seem expensive for what they are from optic companies, would ebay rings be fine? Also I was told weaver works on the picatinny rail that is on the RAP, is that correct?

How do these look?
ebay

As far as rings. Does name brand or quality matter that much? They seem expensive for what they are from optic companies, would ebay rings be fine? Also I was told weaver works on the picatinny rail that is on the RAP, is that correct?

How do these look?
ebay
I wouldn’t, personally. Cheap optics mounting can ruin a hunt quickly, and lead to frustration at the range “chasing” your zero. Not an area to skimp, even if you’re using a cheap scope and cheap rifle.

Do NOT get cheap no name rings. Warne Maxima rings are very good quality for the money and the cheapest I have experience running. They work.

Do NOT get cheap no name rings. Warne Maxima rings are very good quality for the money and the cheapest I have experience running. They work.

I cannot speak to the Warne you recommended (no experience with their rings) but your first sentence is 100% correct.

Decent rings cost "one box of ammo" more than cheapo no name rings and will last decades.

Last edited:
Reactions: moosemeat
2021 prices.
My favorite rings are Badger Steel. Nothing is going to move. Yes top of the line rings may cost as much as a lower end rifle. Budget rings are a premium box of ammo. Warne, Seekens, Burris are all good inexpensive rings.

i have the leupold backcountry rings on my two tikka's, no issues.

I'd recommend checking out the Fierce rifles, as my primary hunting rifle is an lightweight, composite stock, all-weather stainless Fierce 300WSM. The WSM gives you an overall shorter rifle with the shorter action and better MV performance with a shorter barrel. My rifle shoots 1/2 MOA at 500 yards consistently with Barnes 165gr. VOR-TX ammo at 3350fps MV (standard temp, pressure, and altitude) with a NightForce 4-16x ATACR optic. It hits very hard, harvesting numerous Whitetail, Elk, and Red Stag with most game dropping in their tracks, and nothing running more than 50 yards. I'm also a fan of the Tikka as suggested by numerous others, but the Fierce might be another option for you to consider, as I'm extremely happy with my setup.

Do nit have a 308 but really pleased with my Tikka T3 Lite 22-250 and my T3 compact 223,most of my hunting is predator calling,that being said Tikka factory barrels are not know to be the fastest shooting out there but accurate.Using DNZ rings with VX5 HD Leupold scopes

A good option would be a Ruger Gunsite Scout in 308. They're a little pricey, but the M77 action if taken care of will last lifetimes. The scout was also designed to be a quick to the shoulder and shoot rifle. As far as the bull barrel, they're great for target shooting, but from personal experience they're heavier than hell toting them through the deer woods.