• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Hunting Rifle Scope Upgrade

kellogg2185

Private
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2009
St. Louis, MO
I'm looking to upgrade to a good FFP scope, still doing my homework on reticles, etc. I used to read this forum nearly every day, for years, but stopped some time ago. Looking to get back into it, and so I've been trying to figure out what makes the most sense for me and what I need, but the amount of information on this site is incredible, haha. I'm sure this general topic has been gone over countless times, if there is a particular thread I should look at please let me know. But I have had this Bushnell 3x9-50 for years, and it's long since due to be replaced with something more modern, and more importantly something more useful. I am not a competition shooter, but would like something with external adjustments, and a reticle that is useful for hunting/target shooting. I rarely have the option of shooting past 400 yards, but would like to be able to should the opportunity arise. I really like the Vortex scopes, and have been looking at several options with them. My budget will be possibly $1300. I have no formal optics training, just the 4 years in the Corps. Does anything come to mind real quick that would be what I am looking for? All these reticle options are almost overwhelming, and for guys much more capable at the present than myself. I want to start at the basics, but I do want decent quality.

Attachments

• Remington 700.jpg
    Remington 700.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 55
If you want to go for a Vortex, a Gen I Razor 5-20 would be a good option. Can find great deals on them used in the PX. For hunting I would suggest it way more than a Gen 2 PST which would be around the same price, the Razor will have much better glass.

Bushnell LRTS would be another option in that range.

One of the Leupold VX5HD or possibly a Mark 5HD, they get close to your price point on the used market.

The mark 5HD 3-18 would be my top choice if you can find a used one in your price range. If you are hard set at $1300, and time is of the essence since hunting season is close a Gen I Razor would be great and fairly easy and quick to find in your price range.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/vortex-razor-5-20x50.6909555/
https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/vortex-razor-hd-5-20-ebr-2b-mount-caps.6907770/

Last edited:
Nightforce SHV 4-14 F1 is a pretty nice scope in that price range. Choice of Mil-R or Moar depending on what flavor you like. I have a few of them that I’m slowly upgrading to Atacr’s as funds allow but they’ve served me well.

Take a look at sig’s tango 6 line or the whiskey 5 series I have the whiskey 5 and love it for the price and features it has idk if it can be beat.

Premier LT 3-15x50 if you can find one.
Not sure I would recommend buying an expensive scope from a company no longer in existence where warranty work is unavailable.
yes, they are dandy scopes, but there is a good possibility of having a very expensive paper weight.

Reactions: kellogg2185