• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Hunting Safford/Morenci AZ?

coldboremiracle

Freelance Sharpshooter
Minuteman
  • Jul 7, 2009
    Utah, north
    www.coldboremiracle.com
    Anybody live near there? Im going to be working at the mine for a few weeks and will have some time off, was hoping to find a local asset that might give me some pointers.

Is there anything to hunt besides coyotes? hogs? javelina?

When will you be here? Coyotes are plentiful. Rabbits, ground squirrels etc are also very much around, however there is a 5 a day, or 10 a day bag limit(?) I believe. The javelina hunt is the last week of February, so unless your hunting on private property, thats the only time you can go after those sneaky little devils.

Im coming down on the 17th, probably gonna be there off and on for 3-6 weeks. Weekends off. I'd love to shoot anything, but would like to go with someone who knows the area so as not to waste all my time.
    Also, what license's may be needed for any of those hunts?

A general out of state license will be definitely required. Coyote, squirrel, rabbit, etc have no tags associated with them. Javelina, deer, bobcat, etc etc need a tag. Most of the time you can buy a left over Javelina tag.

Here is a link to the G&F website for small and big game (so you can determine the difference) Arizona Hunting Junior Youth Hunts Small Large Game Hunting Safety Draw Schedule Tag

Here is the PDF version of the booklet you can pickup at any outdoor store which will have seasons, and requirements in it. http://www.azgfd.gov/regs/mainregs.pdf

I live in Phoenix (El Mirage), but I do work down south of Casa Grande. I know out by Picacho Peak (about a 2.5 hour drive from Safford has a pretty good lot of coyote, and ground squirrel) as that is my area I work in and have hunted there. Green Valley (South of Tucson) has a rabbit INFESTATION. A couple buddies and I gave up on a 3 day Javelina hunt and turned it into a rabbit hunt. All of us bagged out in the morning hunt on day 2 and 3. Plus they have missile silos down there (from the Titan2 days) which are really freaking cool to check out.

I will think about this a bit more and update this thread for ya!

Nick

You are going to want to check out Recreational Access Arizona Under the additional layers drop down you can check the land ownership box to see what land is private/Indian/NFS/BLM/state trust. If you get on the ball right away you might be able to do a javelina hunt. Otherwise coyotes, and rabbits are year round. Bobcats and foxes run until around the end of march, but don't take my word for it look up the regulations. Have fun.

Javelina might have some left over tags available for over the counter purchase, but the draw is long gone. HAM (Handgun/Archery/Muzzleloader) opens Feb 7-16. General is open Feb 21-27.
    General spring bear opens March 21-May 1. Over the counter non-permit tag required.
    Coyote, fox, and bobcat are all open until March 31st with just a hunting license needed, no special tags. Bag limit is unlimited. Coyote is actually open year round.
    Mountain lion (over the counter tag) is open year round, and there are PLENTY around the area you will be in, but good luck with those sneaky suckers. One per calendar year bag limit.
    Cottontail rabbit is open year round with a bag limit of 10 per day, no tag needed.
    Jackrabbits are open year round with no bag limit. No tag needed.
    Coati are open year round with a one per calendar year bag limit. No tag needed.
    Quail is open until February 9 with a 15 per day bag limit. No tag needed.
    Chukar is open until February 9 with a 5 per day bag limit. No tag needed.
    Archery deer ended Jan 31.

Quite a bit of fishing within a few hours as well. Roosevelt Lake, Apache Lake, Canyon Lake are all relatively close.

Good luck!

I had a deer hunt there (unit 27) last year, went north of Morenci and hunted deep off the Juan Miller road to the east (beautiful area) off the Blue river. The drive up there is beautiful, take the 191 north out of town. Talked with a rancher way back there who said they are being over run with mountain lions, had been losing calfs on a regular basis. Shot myself a nice mulie there too. The area screams coyote, wish it wasn't so far away or I would get with you.

By the way, watch out for the local big horn sheep that live in Morenci. They are everywhere and not worried much about your truck. I had a group in the road in front of me and they were unconcerned with my truck or horn...so I took pictures.

I live in McNeal about 1.5 hrs south of Safford. Decent coyote hunting. If your interested let me know.