• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Hunting Scope Advice Leica ER or S&B Summit

163dm

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2007
Backwaters of AL
Guys, I need some advice on this one. The scope will be mounted on a Ruger No.1 300H&H for hunting. Most shots will be less than 150yd with the possibility of an occasional max 300yd shot. I am going to look at a used S&B Summit 2.5-10x40 locally for about $1,100. The Leica 2.5-10x42 demos can be found online for $1,100 but doubt I will be able to look at one in person.
The specs. are pretty close with a few differences. The S&B is slightly heavier and longer than the Leica. I don't know that I care for the S&B #8 reticle on paper. I will have a better idea after seeing it in person. On the other hand I don't think it really matters. I don't see myself using it for holdovers.

S&B
Tube: 1"
F.O.V. 43.3'-11.7'
Weight: 17.14 oz
Length: 13.28"
Eye
Relief: 3.9"
Reticles #8
Warranty ??

Leica
Tube: 30mm
F.O.V. 47.6'-12.8'
Weight: 16.6 oz
Length: 12.9"
Eye
Relief: 3.94"
Reticles Plex, 4A
Warranty ??

I have never owned either brand. Does anyone have experience with either of these two scopes? Reliabilty? Likes / Dislikes?

Leica would be my definite choice. Optically speaking S&B does not have a chance against it. Mechanically speaking, they are basically the same.

Thanks for the input. The local guy backed out on selling the S&B and traded it instead on a Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x50 with the ballistic reticle. I looked at the Z3 in person, and my concern is the eye box seems a little unforgiving. The Z3 has 3.5" of eye relief. I'm thinking I really need 4". The quarter rib mount on the Ruger No.1's moves the scope pretty far forward. I may need to move up to the illuminated reticle in the Leica to solve the fine crosshair problem.
ccoker - I see you have a review started on your website, do you have any further thoughts?