• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting scope options with mil reticles?

I've can't seem to commit on my hunting optic. Had a vx5hd and needed sent back for repair. So I've lost confidence in it. I replaced it with a Nightforce NX8 2.5-20 and liked the scope, but for a compact rifle it's a lot better but not perfect. I rarely if ever shot over 10x at game. In the lower mag range the reticle was hard to pick out while hunting in the mornings and evenings.

Now last year a put the Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 on my 20" 6.5cm and love it for hunting. I am on the fence about replacing my NX8 2.5-20 on my 300wsm.

I know it's apples to oranges but I've seen a few Vortex go down too. So I can't mentally get myself to trust another one yet. I haven't seen a LHT go down.

Reactions: Bakwa
@Bakwa if you need to hold the line at 24oz, then IMO, it comes down to budget.

SWFA if you want to save a bit
NXS if you have the dough to spend

Both resale well.

If you bump your weight up 6oz, you can easily jump into LRHS2.0 from GAP or XTR3 from Doug.

I'm a fan of the LRTS/LRHS line, but I'm going to try the XTR3 for something different. Burris seems to be in a sweet spot on these scopes, so my gut is that I can use it for a year, decide whether I like it or not, and sell in the $700-800 range this time next year if it (meaning the reticle) doesn't work for me.

I have the bushnell, it's a favorite for a hunting scope. Just ordered the Burris, had an XTRII, liked the reticle and turrets, the glass not so much. I'm not going to worry about 8 oz :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Bakwa and PFG
Vortex LHT HD 3-15 meets your specs, street price falls under your budget.

Please explain how the reticle size differs with the magnification on a SFP scope.

The Vortex Razor LHT HD 3-15 is the scope u seek.
I've owned the LHT 3-15. It's SFP with a max magnification of 15x, so if I'm being picky then it's out.
A SPF reticle is not easily used for holds when it's at any other power than the power it was designed to use the reticle at. Based on my experiences I've determined that for me 10x is about the max power I want in a SFP scope with a reticle that I plan to use for holds. This is my preference if I'm using SFP scopes, and beyonf that magnification I tend to prefer FFP scopes with reticles that are easy to use at min and max power in the field.
I don’t recall seeing:
a) what you are shooting
b) what is the typical distance for the shot

Why would you use your scope for lots of scanning across valleys? That’s what 10x to 15x binos are for (or spotters).

I also don’t see a minimum mag preference. Is a 4.5-22 FFP Vortex LHT that has illumination in the cards? 21.7 oz.

No? How about the SFP LHT G4i reticle Vortex 3-15x50mm (mil based, not evenly spaced however)? The reticle is really nice and thick for low light usability with a illuminated center dot. 20.5 oz.

They also make a 42mm objective version with the evenly spaced illuminated mil reticle HSR-5i. 19.1 oz.
I slipped the platform I'm looking to scope in post #31. It's a control round feed M70 in 308 with a 22" light barrel.
I plan to make this a versatile rig that I can use anywhere on the east coast and also possible hunts out west. So I'm imagining 20m-400m shots. Though most shots will likely be still hunting shots at under 150m.
I don't plan to use my scope as a primary tool for scanning across valleys per se. But I do use the scopes on my rifles for general observation a fair amount. Especially in areas with small shooting windows. I've had opportunities where I've missed shot windows because I was on my bino's and not on my gun.
The vortex options are decent options. The LHT 4.5-22 should be on my menu. I'd prefer to have a lower minimum magnification, but it checks pretty much all of my other criteria. I'll just have to get over the fact it's a vortex if I seriously look at getting this one.
And re: S&B Klassic precision hunter series, not sure how you’re going to find a 3-12 at $1500 or under. Currently $1700 at Eurooptic.
They have been on sale in the past. I'd probably wait until they came on sale again.

Last edited:
And uh, you sorta already asked this question Nov 21 late last year? https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/s-b-klassik-field-use.7099921/
Yes. I've since committed that Tikka to a tactical rifle role and am now using a Mod 70 for hunting.
That thread was focused on the S&B and it's capabilities, while this thread is focused on what other options there are out there to fulfill the same role. The S&B Klassic series is still on my radar. I only have so much money to spend on this stuff so I'm willing to take my time and weigh my options.
Leica came out with an amplus6 scope in 2020 I think.

The Leica looks awesome! I just wish it came with a mil based reticle option.
I'd seriously look into the Trijicon Accent & Huron for the money if the came in a mil reticle as well.
I've can't seem to commit on my hunting optic. Had a vx5hd and needed sent back for repair. So I've lost confidence in it. I replaced it with a Nightforce NX8 2.5-20 and liked the scope, but for a compact rifle it's a lot better but not perfect. I rarely if ever shot over 10x at game. In the lower mag range the reticle was hard to pick out while hunting in the mornings and evenings.

Now last year a put the Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 on my 20" 6.5cm and love it for hunting. I am on the fence about replacing my NX8 2.5-20 on my 300wsm.

I know it's apples to oranges but I've seen a few Vortex go down too. So I can't mentally get myself to trust another one yet. I haven't seen a LHT go down.
I've had similar experiences. I've seen Leupold's & Vortex's break or lose zero with normal field use. Not saying it happens to all of them, but I feel like I've seen it more with those over other brands within the same price ranges. My LHT 3-15 that I had two years ago lost zero on me by almost a whole mil once. Never could figure it out or get it to repeat it.
Not to sound like a fanboy but Nightforce's have almost always treated me right. My scopes right now are all from NF, Steiner, and ZCO. I've gotten here through much trail/error and learning through experience. I've found I'm too poor to pay for cheap stuff over and over trying to make it work. I want to pinch my pennies and buy once.