• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Hunting scope recommendation for a 6.5 prc rifle?

HY3NA47

Private
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2019
Just ordered a Havak ph2 in 6.5 prc. Hoping to have the optic in before I pick it up. Currently I’m looking at the vortex hd in 5x20 or the viper pst in 5x25. I feel these two should fit the bill nicely. Using the rifle for North American big game and for the occasional 1000+ yard day of what I will call distance therapy. Any input is appreciated, thanks!

@HoneyBadger4774

Check out a Gen 1. I have two of them on lightweight hunting rigs, albeit they are the 4-16's. Just saw this one in the for sale area... not affiliated with the guy at all. The Gen 1's are lighter and of course still carry the lifetime warranty from Vortex. Should it break, they fix it or replace it.

Gen 1 6-24 Weight 23.4 oz
Gen 2 5-25 Weight 31.2 oz

Saving half a pound. If you're humping it... that half a pound adds up. If you're stationary then go buy the new one and support a great company. :D

I think a Vortex AMG 6-24 would be a nice fit for that rifle?? It’s what I’ll be using on my rifle this year for hunting
CFA1D209-855A-4C28-8D82-0CDC3D02398B.jpeg
2686B77D-1CF0-4C0E-852B-15E46F5204CE.jpeg

Reactions: usafa77
@HoneyBadger4774

Check out a Gen 1. I have two of them on lightweight hunting rigs, albeit they are the 4-16's. Just saw this one in the for sale area... not affiliated with the guy at all. The Gen 1's are lighter and of course still carry the lifetime warranty from Vortex. Should it break, they fix it or replace it.

Gen 1 6-24 Weight 23.4 oz
Gen 2 5-25 Weight 31.2 oz

Saving half a pound. If you're humping it... that half a pound adds up. If you're stationary then go buy the new one and support a great company. :D

I have to humbly disagree here. The Gen I Viper PST is a fragile scope. Having broke one on an elk hunt not too many years back I can honestly tell you it mattered not one bit to me how good their customer service was at the time.

The Gen II Viper is a big step up from the Gen I. Good improvements. But having said that, I still wouldnt touch anything from Vortex that doesnt say Razor on it or AMG. Those are excellent scopes.

It's just not worth it to save a few shekels on something as important as your hunting rifle. It gets bumped and banged around for days on end, yet its expected after that to make one. Good. Shot. Period.

Buy something with a proven reputation for durability and reliability. Good customer service after the fact is bad value.

I've been eyeballing the low-medium end swaro scopes for a lightweight glass with decent durability and good light gathering for a long time. After learning how to shoot and what you get out of glass versus what you pay, I might just yank my NF NXS 2.5-10x32mm off my 17s and put it on my hunting rifle. The optic has covered turrets and has survived my 17s for a couple years, and if I manage to break it, I think NF's CS is top of the line.

The best option for pure durability and light weight in my mind would be the Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42. Its only weighs in at 20.5 oz, but is as solid as a rock. If you need it, the CS at NF is top notch, but I would be very surprised if you ever need to talk to them. If you are looking for a little better magnification range and FFP, the NX8 2.5-20x50 is a great scope. It does weight a bit more however at 28.3oz.

Reactions: Wags and Moose
The best option for pure durability and light weight in my mind would be the Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42. Its only weighs in at 20.5 oz, but is as solid as a rock. If you need it, the CS at NF is top notch, but I would be very surprised if you ever need to talk to them. If you are looking for a little better magnification range and FFP, the NX8 2.5-20x50 is a great scope. It does weight a bit more however at 28.3oz.
I also own the NXS 2.5-10x42 and it is a outstanding scope for a field rifle if 10X is enough for you.

I ran swfa 6x fixed for a couple of years and liked it a-lot.Now my old ass eyes need more power.

Reactions: MarinePMI
For a rifle that will be used primarily for hunting, you arent going to be much better than a Leupold VX-5HD or a VX-6HD. They are generally the lightest in weight for comparable scopes, and optically they perform best in low-light and high-glare scenarios. Plus they are built to take anything you can throw at it, which is what you want when you are out on a hunt.

For a rifle that will be used primarily for hunting, you arent going to be much better than a Leupold VX-5HD or a VX-6HD. They are generally the lightest in weight for comparable scopes, and optically they perform best in low-light and high-glare scenarios. Plus they are built to take anything you can throw at it, which is what you want when you are out on a hunt.

I’m still sitting back and waiting on the zl2 turrets to be truly tested, but the vx5/vx6 has a reputation very much the opposite of built to take anything you can throw at it as far as tracking reliability

If you've made it this far you may as well take a look at the 3.3-18x50 XTR3. It's going to be a nice scope at 13" and 29ozs.

It checks all the boxes. Very good glass, large field of view, easy eyebox and parallax, covered windage, locking diopter, great turrets. This is going to be a great hunting scope.

Reactions: Wyzrd
I’m still sitting back and waiting on the zl2 turrets to be truly tested, but the vx5/vx6 has a reputation very much the opposite of built to take anything you can throw at it as far as tracking reliability
I was speaking from a durability standpoint, but i get what you are saying.

Personally, I hardly dial with my hunting scopes, but I recall my dials were accurate and returned to zero when i was doing load testing from 100/200/400/600/800. If i recall, it tracking issue was an early VX-6 issue? I would think Leupold had resolved the issue, especially considering the great tracking reputation the Mark 5HD has. It wouldn't suprise me if they did an inline change to their other scope lines as well.

I think that the AMG fits the bill for the PRC HAVAK well. I love mine, the reticle is my favorite of all reticles I have used. I have had no problems with mine shooting matches, hunting coyotes and deer the last year and a half. I wouldn't use a PST on a hunting rifle, or any serious use rifle as I have heard too many reports of failures. The Leupold mark 5 is also a good scope as well as the Nightforce options. I want to get an XTR-3 at some point to play with but from personal experience I can recommend the AMG and Leupold mark 5. If i was trying to save a little $ I would go the Bushnell LRTS/LRHS route as I have had great luck with those too, and the G3 reticle is good for hunting and match shooting in my experience. LRTS also works good in low light in my experience.

Reactions: Wyzrd and 260284
Another vote for Leopold vx-6hd. I have a 3-18x50 which in my opinion is a perfect mag range for hunting

I’d have to echo the VX-6HD 3-18. I have three of them for my hunting rifles and they can be used for everything from stand hunting white tail in the Midwest to elk hunting out west and weigh in at 23-24ounces. Great optic

I prefer the Bushnell LRTS over the Vortex AMG for a FFP hunting scope all day everyday. The AMG has a busy reticle that is much too thin for my use.

I picked up 4..... for a total of 9 lrhs/lrts's.....
is the reticle thicker on the lrts 3-12 vs 4.5-18? The latter is nice for a FFP scope but if the 3-12 reticle were a little thicker it would even be better when dialed down to the 6x range. Do you have both to compare?

is the reticle thicker on the lrts 3-12 vs 4.5-18? The latter is nice for a FFP scope but if the 3-12 reticle were a little thicker it would even be better when dialed down to the 6x range. Do you have both to compare?

Wade, the reticles are the same between the 3-12 and 4.5-18. That said, the reticle on the illuminated model is slightly thicker than the non. But if you don't have them side-by-side to compare, ya can't tell. The diff is that close.

my bunch and one I put on a pards 03-A3. the top two are my 6.5 PRC's...
IMG_2195_zpsad0ae8le.jpg

IMG_2069_zpscbtjtl34.jpg

Wade, the reticles are the same between the 3-12 and 4.5-18. That said, the reticle on the illuminated model is slightly thicker than the non. But if you don't have them side-by-side to compare, ya can't tell. The diff is that close.

my bunch and one I put on a pards 03-A3. the top two are my 6.5 PRC's...
IMG_2195_zpsad0ae8le.jpg

IMG_2069_zpscbtjtl34.jpg

Nice looking rifles. What barrel length is that second one down? I'm in the middle of a 6.5prc build and deciding barrel length at the moment.

I’ve just received my Delta Stryker HD for long range hunting / gong bashing.

It’s going on a Tikka Superlight in a carbon stock. The choices were pretty heavy in my price range (including second hand) and the Delta fit the bill.
Not too heavy and great mag range. Could be a little too much low end mag for a dedicated hunting rig but worth a look.

Leupold Mark 5 3.6-18x44. Very compact, durable scope. Very light as well. I have a nightforce ATACR on a 338 Lapua that I hunt with. I love the gun, but it is an overall ‘big’ stick to carry around with a scope that size. I have a Seekins 6.5 PRC in order and have purchased a Mark 5 3.6-18. Should make a fairly compact package. My only wish is that the Seekins was offered in a 22” or 20” barrel as well!

Reactions: 762 ULTRAMAGA
I was speaking from a durability standpoint, but i get what you are saying.

Personally, I hardly dial with my hunting scopes, but I recall my dials were accurate and returned to zero when i was doing load testing from 100/200/400/600/800. If i recall, it tracking issue was an early VX-6 issue? I would think Leupold had resolved the issue, especially considering the great tracking reputation the Mark 5HD has. It wouldn't suprise me if they did an inline change to their other scope lines as well.
I had a VX5Hd that didn't track worth a crap, I was bummed about it because I really liked the scope otherwise.
I've since moved to the MK5's and will never go back to the VX line.

Leupold Mark 5 3.6-18x44. Very compact, durable scope. Very light as well. I have a nightforce ATACR on a 338 Lapua that I hunt with. I love the gun, but it is an overall ‘big’ stick to carry around with a scope that size. I have a Seekins 6.5 PRC in order and have purchased a Mark 5 3.6-18. Should make a fairly compact package. My only wish is that the Seekins was offered in a 22” or 20” barrel as well!
You're going to love the 3.6-18, I've been putting mine through the paces since late winter. It pased the tall target test perfectly up to 50 MOA.
It's currently on my 6.5 SAUM, I'm right at 7. 75 lbs all set up.

Reactions: Aescobar17
I just put a nx8 2.5-20 on my rifle and feel it's a good balance of size, weight, glass, and price. So far it's been tracking perfect and NF CS is a known quantity. I was a little concerned about the thin reticle for hunting, but have a couple animals down with it now and have been completely happy. I don't think I would have hit either deer with 6x on the bottom end. Both jumped out at 25yds or so.

I would also consider the mk5 3.6-18, TT315m, V6 3-18.

At most my budget is around $1000. For that, with the discount vortex and night force offer, I'm looking at the viper pst ii and razor hd from vortex as well as the SHV from Nightforce.

At most my budget is around $1000. For that, with the discount vortex and night force offer, I'm looking at the viper pst ii and razor hd from vortex as well as the SHV from Nightforce.
If you are talking about a MIL/LE discount, most manufactures provide them. Leupold does offer an awesome discount i can tell you that.

If you are talking about a MIL/LE discount, most manufactures provide them. Leupold does offer an awesome discount i can tell you that.

First responder and yes. I was not aware of Leupolds. Trijicon has one but it’s not much in comparison to others. And I’m not opposed to buying used either, just a preference for new.

Do you run that chassis for hunting? Almost pulled the trigger on it but was apprehensive of the weight.

This will be my first year running it during hunting season. I think it’ll do just fine though as it isn’t too heavy. I run a light palma contour Brl so my whole set up really isn’t that bad weight wise. It’s not ultra lite like some guys’ rigs, but I actually prefer my hunting rifles in the 12-13 lb range... so it works for me??

Had 2 Leuopld VX-6 scopes with tracking issues, I can't recommend them unless they changed something in the HD series. The glass is amazing, on par with my Swaro Z5 and I love the TMOA reticle. I really wish that scope was trustworthy dialing.

I accepted the downgrade in glass and went to a 3-12x Huskemaw on my lighter rifle. It has dialed great so far and with the lower magnification the lesser glass isn't as big a deal. I'm not reaching to far with that rifle anyway, I am shooting Nosler E tips and don't think I have the speed to get them to open reliably past 600yds.

The March or X5 is what I want for my other rifle. I really want a lighter scope but might have to compromise. What about Maven, how is their newer scope in weight and reliability?

I went Nightforce 2.5-10 on my bighorn/proof prefit to keep weight down but have been looking long and hard at an nx8. Broke it in yesterday with the Hornady American Hunter stuff and I really don’t see me trying to work up a load in the near future. I won’t be shooting past 400 yards hunting but I wouldn’t feel underscoped out to 1k.

This will be my first year running it during hunting season. I think it’ll do just fine though as it isn’t too heavy. I run a light palma contour Brl so my whole set up really isn’t that bad weight wise. It’s not ultra lite like some guys’ rigs, but I actually prefer my hunting rifles in the 12-13 lb range... so it works for me??
Ive had a similar thought. Weight is weight but training and some gym time can fix a lot of that.

Reactions: Wyzrd
I have to humbly disagree here. The Gen I Viper PST is a fragile scope. Having broke one on an elk hunt not too many years back I can honestly tell you it mattered not one bit to me how good their customer service was at the time.

The Gen II Viper is a big step up from the Gen I. Good improvements. But having said that, I still wouldnt touch anything from Vortex that doesnt say Razor on it or AMG. Those are excellent scopes.

It's just not worth it to save a few shekels on something as important as your hunting rifle. It gets bumped and banged around for days on end, yet its expected after that to make one. Good. Shot. Period.

Buy something with a proven reputation for durability and reliability. Good customer service after the fact is bad value.

Absolutely this. I’ve had 4 PST Gen Is. I broke two of my first three, then sold the third before I could break it too. I took a 4th on trade last year, and just couldn’t ever trust it due to my prior experiences. It got sold pretty quickly. The two failures were being treated well too. I’m a lot harder on every other rifle and optic I own, and haven’t had that issue yet with them.

Reactions: Birddog6424