• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Hunting scope recommendation

catalyst81

Private
Minuteman
May 6, 2012
Utah
I have very limited hunting experience - 1 elk hunt with extended family where we did a lot of driving and not much else. I'm now putting together a build and going out with my brother-in-law this coming fall, who is going to help teach me (and has more experience than the last family I went out with). My original plan was to use my Leup MK5 5-25, but I was thinking it would be nice to shave 10 oz or so off the scope if I could. My budget is around $800 ish new or used. I would like a 3-15 ish range. Shots should be 600 yards or less. How important is illumination?

The new Vortex Razor HD LHT seems like it really fits the bill on everything I would want, except that its SFP. I plan on using a range finder. How common are follow up shots with hunting? I would think not very common, right? Is SFP/FFP less important with hunting? Any other options I should look at? The Bushnell LRTSi is nice but about the same weight as my MK5.

The Leupold vx5hd 3-15x44 or 50mm is a great hunting scope. They make both models with the firedot now which is great for the early morning/late evening hunting which seems to be when the best shot opportunities are present. They have the ZL2 elevation turret that can be sent in to get cut for your rifle and load.

The problem I see with the only first focal scope I tried is if your hunting in the timber or it's a low light situation and you have no illumination seeing those crosshairs on low power is tough.

Follow up shots are common, especially with elk, they can be tough stuborn critters. But alot of that depends on shot placement and caliber/cartridge being used. Also location, a big open meadow where they cant dissapeared from sight may not require a follow up. If the shot takes place near a tree line or property boundry you may need to put another one in them before they get away.

Good luck on your hunt this fall

Reactions: wade2big
I run SFP optics on my hunting rifles with some form of BDC reticle. Opportunities can present themselves and the window close fast so I don’t like dialing a turret while hunting. I tried it once and in the early morning I couldn’t see the turret and missed an opportunity.
I just Purchased a Meopta Optika 6 3-18x50 from gr8fuldoug at Cameraland and with its BDC reticle is going on my fall elk rifle. Something to consider.

I have dozens of elk under my belt, and hunt each year to fill my freezer, as I don't buy store bought meat other than bacon. A few things first. The style of hunting you do, and terrain you will be hunting is pretty important. Elk have a tendency to not stick around once they determine there is danger and they will be into the timber, or over a ridge in no time. They can run at an impressive speed, and once they are running at full speed, unless you are very close, and you are experienced at shooting at running game, you don't really have any business shooting at them.

It would help to know what type of rifle you are shooting.

I have two main rifles that I kill elk with regularly. One is a 20" .308 T3, and the other is a 24" .300 wm T3. The .308 sports an NF 2.5-10x24, and the .300 has a fixed 10X MIL/MIL SWFA.

This cow was taken at 400-450? something (cant recall, it was 3 years ago) with my .300

Jz57ScZ.jpg

This cow was taken with my .308 at 615 yards with a 155 Scenar.

C4wmqRU.jpg

With that out of the way, this is another important part. Elk can and do range in size substantially, so attempting to get your range estimation using the animal is a very bad idea. Mature bulls and cows can vary by literally hundreds of pounds.
Elk hunting is not ringing steel, and you need a laser rangefinder. Elk will move without warning.

Binoculars and a rangefinder are FAR more important than a huge scope. I always try to limit my shots to a certain distance, based on environmentals and capability.

Often you will be cold and tired and you will not be performing at your best. More often than not, in fact.

While I have shot a number of elk with my Sako TRG, I still used my binos and LRF to locate and range them.

As far as a scope goes, if I were in the market today for an all around optic, I would take a hard look at the SWFA 3-15 MIL/MIL. That has plenty of power on the high end, and still can be left on a reasonably lower setting such as 5X for acquiring the animal in a hurry. Plus it has an very usable reticle.

My oldest daughter's first elk was about 5 years ago and she punched it at 375 yards with a single 155 Scenar right behind the shoulder, where I instructed her to. A different scope was used, but it was set at 6X.

In reference to the illuminated reticle, It is very rare the times that you may need one. States have certain regulations in regards to legal shooting hours that must be adhered to, as well as some (not all) states do not allow illuminated reticles. Check your intended state's regulations. Generally speaking if it is so dark that I can't see the reticle in my scope, it is not a good idea to be shooting. Not always the case, but I have never needed to turn on the reticle in my NF when hunting.

Last edited:
Reactions: catalyst81
If you are running a standard sporter weight rifle, a fixed 6X SWFA MIL/MIL is not a bad choice , like on my daughters .308 shown here:

This is light and practical, and very handy for climbing up the mountains that elk tend to retreat to during the season when they get pressure from all the tards on 4 wheelers and road hunters.

Last edited:
SWFA 3-15×42 for the price range is hard to beat.
Is illumination needed? I have hunted for 30+ years. Only "NEEDED" illumination twice. But, without it, would not have two of my animals I took. But all my scopes except my Premier Heritage Light Tactical on my AR have illuminated reticles. For that 1% of the time I might need it.

Just another suggestion. I've been using the NF NXS 2.5-10 x 32's on a couple hunting rifles for over a decade. They were discontinued quite a while ago, but if you can find a used one they are great. Relatively compact, tough, and not terribly heavy. I know NF still makes the 2.5-10x42 which is basically the same only a little larger with better light transmission. Both of those are SFP, but I've never really found that to be much of an issue on a hunting rifle. I would reccomend a throw lever for the 32's. Mine are both mil/mil ZS. The 42's do have better reticle options than the 32's in my opinion.

Sorry, missed your price range. These will be a bit more than that. Although, you might be able to find a 32 with a velocity reticle for around $1k-$1200'ish.

I appreciate all the responses. A little more information would probably help. Like I said, I have very little experience hunting. However, I have an idea of what I want to do. I would like to take deer and elk. For the time being, I have a feeling I won't be doing a ton of walking with my BIL. He's an experienced hunter, but not of the backpacking variety. I am a very experienced backpacker (although not hunting), and could see myself hunting in the same manner in the future.

Currently, I have a 6.5CM and a 300 PRC I'll be able to use for hunting and I'll be hunting out west - Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho. I'll be swapping barrels/stocks on my target guns. I'm planning on a 20" proof carbon for the 6.5. probably will do something similar (24") on the 300 PRC once I draw an elk tag. I already have decent binos (Zen-Ray HD 10x and Meopta Meostar 15x) and a rangefinder (Sig Kilo 2000). I could raise my budget a bit if needed, but it seems like the new Razor ticks a lot of boxes - good zoom range, good glass, lightweight, illumination, warranty if I drop it, etc. I don't know how much I would really gain for hunting purposes by spending more money. I'm trying to keep the scope to around 20 oz., otherwise I'm not sure its worth it to spend the money to save a few ounces over my Leupold MK5.

Last edited:
Edited my pics, as I am not sure why they were showing up for me, but did not show up on the thread. Hopefully that fixed it.

I just got a VX-5HD 3-15x44mm and am very impressed by it. Weighs 19.7oz. I prefer SFP for hunting scopes, the reticles are much easier to see in low light and low magnification. This will be going on a 65 Creedmoor. Cant wait to shoot.

Reactions: catalyst81