• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Hunting scope suggestion

catalyst81

Private
Minuteman
May 6, 2012
Utah
I have a Tikka T3X lite in 6.5 Creedmoor I need to put a scope on. It's a hunting rifle that I will also let my brother in law target shoot (hit steel) out to 1000 yds a few times a year. I was looking at the Vortex Razor LH 3-15x and the Burris XTR II 3-15. Anything else in the $500 to $900 range I should be looking at that would work well for hunting and occasional target shooting? I'm not extremely concerned with weight, but obviously the lighter the better for hunting. I have a 20 MOA base on the rifle.

Last edited:
I currently have a HD LH 3-15 and think about buying another one for a rifle I haven't even purchased yet. I've had it about a year now and It's become one of my favorites. Cabala's currently has them for $599

I have a Tikka T3X lite in 6.5 Creedmoor I need to put a scope on. It's a hunting rifle that I will also let my brother in law target shoot (hit steel) out to 1000 yds a few times a year. I was looking at the Vortex Razor LH 3-15x and the Burris XTR II 3-15. Anything else in the $500 to $900 range I should be looking at that would work well for hunting and occasional target shooting? I'm not extremely concerned with weight, but obviously the lighter the better for hunting. I have a 20 MOA base on the rifle.

If you watch closely, you’ll occasionally find a used Bushnell LRHS in that price range. It is MUCH scope for the money.

John

I just picked up a Bushnell LRTSi, for the same situation. I couldn't find the LRHS with the illuminated reticle. I believe they are essentially the same scope. Seems very solid. Haven't shot it yet.

I just picked up a Bushnell LRTSi, for the same situation. I couldn't find the LRHS with the illuminated reticle. I believe they are essentially the same scope. Seems very solid. Haven't shot it yet.

You are correct. The LRTSi is the same as the LRHS except; the LRTSi has a locking instead of capped windage turret, LRTSi has no donut in the reticle. I have both and actually prefer the LRTSi. They are both superb.

John

I have several VX-6's I use. 2-12 and 3-18 that are perfect for hunting and the random range day I take my 6.5 Tikka out to 1000.

The SWFA 3-9 HD or Nightforce SHV would be my pick. Both solid scopes that track and hold up better than anything in their class.

Reactions: Reload10
I run a XTRII 2-10 on my hunting .243Win. Great choice if you plan to dial most of the time . When I am Deer and Elk hunting, I actually prefer and MOA optic as it is just a little simple when you have that shot without a lot of time to get everything dialed in.

My 13 year old has a B-14 HMR in 6.5 CM and we put the 3-15 XTRII on it. He has shot 2 precision matches and hunted with it twice now. He loves that combo.

Reactions: Vinvan406
Thanks for the suggestions. Does anyone know how the Bushnell LRTS and Nightforce SHV compare? I was originally planning on spending a little less, which is why I was considering the Razor LH, but I do have a Bushnell ERS I've been very happy with. I think I'm leaning toward the LRTS.

Last edited:
I hunt next door in Nevada. I like the Bushnell elite tactical line and own three of them. The 3-21 scope is a bit heavy but a great scope. You should be able to find a good deal on one used on the sales forum.

Athlon ares 2.5-15x50($700ish) or 4.5-27x50($750ish) both FFP available in MOA or MILS, 30 ish oz. I have both and loving them for the value they deliver. 30mm tube.

Reactions: NewsShooter
You say you have a T3x lite, I suggest you keep it "lite". Some good suggestions here, but if your primary function is hunting, then the Razor LH is a good choice. Another in the price range is the Leupold LRP 4-14, it is ffp mil mil and only weighs 20.3 oz. another is the Zeiss HD5 with Z800 reticle. I used this quite often as I do not need to make any adjustments, just holds out to 800Y with my Tikka T3x 260. it is SFP and 18.5 oz, point and shoot. I have several Tikkas and use Talley quick removable rings and bases. I can swap any of my scopes to any of the rifles. They mount right up. once sited, the return to zero is awsome, I travel with the scope in a case and mount it at basecamp.

As for your brother in law, let him buy his own rifle. or scope and he can mount it up when he wants.

How important is illumination in a scope for hunting? I'm admittedly a novice hunter.

Check the buy and sell optics forum for used LRHS/LRTS they are amazing scopes with great reticles, obviously the LRHS is geared more for hunting but I think the G2H is a great FFP reticle and like it more than the G3, but it's all personal preference. They both come illuminated but those are a little harder to find at the right price. Illuminated will definitely help in low light situations or if your game is in the thick stuff where it gets really contrasty with light and dark shadows that can sometimes cause the reticle to get lost.

Check the buy and sell optics forum for used LRHS/LRTS they are amazing scopes with great reticles, obviously the LRHS is geared more for hunting but I think the G2H is a great FFP reticle and like it more than the G3, but it's all personal preference. They both come illuminated but those are a little harder to find at the right price. Illuminated will definitely help in low light situations or if your game is in the thick stuff where it gets really contrasty with light and dark shadows that can sometimes cause the reticle to get lost.

Thanks, that's what I'm actually looking at right now. Found a few for sale. All three are the LRTS. Two non illuminated with G3 reticle and one is illuminated for a little more with G2.

Here's my take on the LRHS:

1) I've spent more money for better glass.
2) I've spent less money and had equal tracking (SWFA)
3) I've never found a scope with ALL the features that I want...until the LRHS

It just checks so many boxes.

Tracking
FFP
Mil and Mil
Capped windage
Zero stop

And currently - after 3 years of use - not a single hiccup. I wouldn't mind a power throw lever from the factory, and maybe an easier way to engage the zero stop, but those are minor complaints.

The LRHS has caused me to sell a few other scopes and run 1 LRHS between 2 or 3 rifles. I like it that much.

Reactions: 260284
Athlon ares 2.5-15x50($700ish) or 4.5-27x50($750ish) both FFP available in MOA or MILS, 30 ish oz. I have both and loving them for the value they deliver. 30mm tube.

Not hunting specific but an Athlon thing....

I am kinda not sure about the Athlon - I bought 2 for 22NRL all the specs are good for the distances. 10Y parallax - FFP love the reticle..

For hunting I can not give up FFP, Nice reticle and turrets.. seemed like the Athlon kinda had most -- the turrets are horrible.. In fairness this several thousand less than most my scopes. it is a budget Athlon..

But Damn, my eyes get really tired behind them -- I don't know why.. but they do all look clear.. Here is the setup for my 18 year old - done on the cheap.. RPR rimfire and scope with full length 1.5" dovetail (kinda like the MPA infinity) for NRL22 all for about 1K less than a barreled Voodoo. Had to add weight to the cheap ass buttock LOL... image fro iPhone makes the gun look bent..

But again the Athlon kicks my ass..

Last edited:
Reactions: Glassaholic
Does anyone know the difference between the G2 and G3 reticle? I pulled out my Bushnell ERS which has the G2 and comparing it to pictures of the G3 I can’t see a difference. Is it the thickness of the reticle?

Does anyone know the difference between the G2 and G3 reticle? I pulled out my Bushnell ERS which has the G2 and comparing it to pictures of the G3 I can’t see a difference. Is it the thickness of the reticle?
Just going off memory here but the non-illuminated G3 has thinner crosshairs at .5 mil to center and has some .2 mil hash marks off the horizontal stadia between 2 and 3. I was hoping for more .2 mil marks and don’t see a huge improvement over the G2, but it’s still a decent reticle.

I've been hunting with several XTR II's for years. I was hitting a plate at 1100 yards this past Sunday with the 4-20 on a 6.5 Grendel. I hit my 36" plate at a mile 4 times in 9 shots with my 5-25 on my 300 Norma mag. I've bagged whitetail and elk (among other things) using these scopes. They're a great scope, and will do everything you need them to do.

Very hard to beat in their price range...
cTHCqcQ.jpg

IjG2VyU.jpg

Last edited:
There are some great options out there.

Here are some I can think of.
Nigthforce SHV and I you what to go big ATACR.
Swarovski offer great hunting scopes
Vortex PST GENII
Burris XTRII
Kahles K624 if you what to go big also.

If we can be of help let me know.

Mike @ CSTACTICAL

Not hunting specific but an Athlon thing....

I am kinda not sure about the Athlon - I bought 2 for 22NRL all the specs are good for the distances. 10Y parallax - FFP love the reticle..

For hunting I can not give up FFP, Nice reticle and turrets.. seemed like the Athlon kinda had most -- the turrets are horrible.. In fairness this several thousand less than most my scopes. it is a budget Athlon..

But Damn, my eyes get really tired behind them -- I don't know why.. but they do all look clear.. Here is the setup for my 18 year old - done on the cheap.. RPR rimfire and scope with full length 1.5" dovetail (kinda like the MPA infinity) for NRL22 all for about 1K less than a barreled Voodoo. Had to add weight to the cheap ass buttock LOL... image fro iPhone makes the gun look bent..

But again the Athlon kicks my ass..

That doesn't look like an ares or cronus, which model?