• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Hunting scope upgrade

captmike03

Private
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2012
Georgia
I know you guys have probably answered this question a hundred times, but I did not see a thread and do not know how to search by subject.

I would like to replace my aging Redfield 2-7 widfield scope with something newer. The scope will be on a Remington model 7 carbine in 308 caliber. The scope will be mounted flat on the receiver, no see thru mounts. I hunt in north east Georgia so a good 3-9 power will suffice.

The Redfields have served me well, but it is time to move on.

Re: Hunting scope upgrade

I would say a Zeiss Conquest 3-9. Unless you want to spend a bunch of money. You will be real happy the the Zeiss.

Looking for the same for my boys 30-30. Im looking at any of the Nikon and Bushnell stuff. Not the low end models but the mid grade stuff.....couple hundred bucks.

+1 on the Ziess Conquest, unless you can find a deal on a low power Swarvoski

My hunting rifle will be wearing a Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44 this year.

How early/late can you sit in GA?

In SC we can sit 1hr before/after sunrise/sunset.

If you can sit in low light I would bypass the leupold and start with the bushnell 4200. Had a couple of the 2.5-10x50 with ill 4A and was impressive for a sub $500 scope. The 3200 is decent if you need cheaper. If you can swing it, zeiss and swaro would be an excellent choice as well.

Zeiss Conquest...cameraland has them for 399 and u prolly get a SH discount too! Super nice glass for that price

I hunt in Ga also (Columbus) I tried the Zeiss conquest also. I sold it and went back to leupold. There are both good.Not a lot of difference. I just like the leupold better. A 3x9 or 4x12 should be fine for the Ga. woods. I would check out the VXII you wont need any more than that. your avg shot should be less than 100yds.

Weaver 3-10x40 mil/mil is what I put on mine, 299 from midway. Clear glass with turrets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wdebo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would say a Zeiss Conquest 3-9. Unless you want to spend a bunch of money. You will be real happy the the Zeiss. </div></div>

^^This.

I have two of these on hunting rifles. They are very good short-medium range scopes with crystal clear glass, good light transmission, good eye-relief, and lightweight.

I have one on a LW .308 and one on my .35 Whelen.

ETA:

Like it much, much better than the VX-III on my main hunting rifle, may be swapping the 3.5-10x out for one of these if I get around to it.

An avid hunter buddy of mine traded his Leupold VX-III for the Trijicon and said it was the best move, but who needs a lighted reticle if you can't shoot after dusk . . ..