• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Hunting with a heavy ass rifle

Sharpy

Private
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2008
Hey guys
I have a savage ftr rifle which I want to use for some deer hunting this year.As a cash strapped college student I broke the bank getting this rifle and the related bits and pieces so I dont have any funds to get a light hunting rifle yet.

I still need some venison though!The rifle is in .308 and weighs in around the 15 pound mark with bipod and scope.It has a 30 inch barrel and is single shot.Do you guys have any tips on how I can make this work?I know it's like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole ha.

I know I'm gonna need a good sling.Any recomendations?Also is there anything I could use that could hide the shiny barrel while protecting the crown a bit in the field? I guessing not but I might try out some of that camo tape.

What do you guys favour for a deer round for .308? so far this girl has been on a steady diet of either scenars or smk's, both in 155. I think I might look at the gamekings

Anything else I'm missing?Maybe practice some rucking in preparation?ha

thanks in advance guys.

Re: Hunting with a heavy ass rifle

I wouldn't hesitate to use the 155s for deer

I use my GAP Rock in an AICS (about 15 lbs) for hunting and it works fine. I used Barnes 168 gr TSX bullets and they drop animals on the spot.

My gun is 14.5 lbs and it is not a big deal. I have a wide sling with that non-slip material and it carries fine.

I've been using 165 sgk.

Use a BDU or Khaki pant leg over the fore part of the rig secured with a husky rubber band about the chamber or forearm.

Dump the bi-pod.

Shoot 150 Sierra GameKing with the same load data as your 155's and forego some drawn out load testing.

Try carrying the rig across the front rather than slung on a shoulder. That strains the spine unnaturally and many muscles.

Of course we are all in the gym so that's moot.

I've hunted with several heavy guns, a 16 lb 300wsm and a 13lb .308, nothing wrong with it. Just hold on to it and keep walking, you'll either get used to it or die trying.
I'd just stick to the scenars or smk's if that's what she shoots best.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VA Gentleman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Use it and go ! </div></div>

Thank you for posting this question as I also will be hauling a target rifle into the field this fall for some long range speed goats. Your question reminded me of a rifle sling I saw in a you tube video, it consisted of a double shoulder strap and a little craddle the stock rode in. Think of it as wearing it like a backpack straight up and down... Will look for the product/video as I should get one myself...

I just had to also accept hunting suppressed was going to mean a heavy weapon.

Looks like from the comments below the video that it was a home made item, good news is looks like he is a Hide member, just not sure of his name yet... Maybe he'll pipe up...

It says in one of the comments on the 2nd page that the sling is home grown. That being said Tony at TAB gear makes a biathlon sling very similar to that. Check out his gear at the rifles only web site, there is also a review of it somewhere on here. I think Phylodog did it.

Cheers,

Doc

I'm not much bigger than Frank and have been toting a 17lb Savage through the field for the past 3 years.... Quit being a girly man!
laugh.gif

I hunt with my Rem 700 LTR up here in the mountains. The rifle is a tack driver with 168g Sierra match kings. During hunting season I load up my standard load of Varget and substitute the 165 g sierra game kings.

Out of my rig they print very well on the range, and perform excellent on deer, goats, and caribou.

I'm not exactly a big guy about 160 pounds, around the same age as you, my hunting rifle is a 14.5 pound .308, you'll be fine.

Hey thanks guys I think going from the replies my rifle isn't overly heavier than most of the rigs the hide members are carrying. I think I may need to source a nice tall glass of man the fuck up though ha.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Use a BDU or Khaki pant leg over the fore part of the rig secured with a husky rubber band about the chamber or forearm.

Dump the bi-pod.

Shoot 150 Sierra GameKing with the same load data as your 155's and forego some drawn out load testing.

Try carrying the rig across the front rather than slung on a shoulder. That strains the spine unnaturally and many muscles.

Of course we are all in the gym so that's moot.

</div></div>

Some good advice in there thanks man.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PhOnEpHrEaK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not exactly a big guy about 160 pounds, around the same age as you, my hunting rifle is a 14.5 pound .308, you'll be fine. </div></div>

Im 205 so I definitly don't have any excuses then.Thanks dude.

Use it and later when you can afford something else to hunt with you'll appreciate it even more!

Even my "light" hunting rifles are between 8.5 and 11 pounds.

Easier to take 5 pounds off my rear end by working out than shave a small amount of weight from a rifle......

I've been hunting with my 700 since 2003. It weighs in at 15lbs. You get used to it.

(1) The Sierra 165 gr. BTHP shoots almost like a SMK at hunting distances. (2) Try to find a good stand a reasonable distance from the truck. (3) Practice carrying your rifle and around 150# of wet sand in a gunny sack....

I use a Rem 5R in 308 for deer hunting shooting 165gr SSTs, I have no problem with the stainless barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hillwalker97</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I know I'm gonna need a good sling.Any recomendations?
</div></div>
you could find a used eberlestock pack, makes my heavy rifles easy to take on the long hikes.

I would defintely go with the 155 grain scenars. As far as the weight you can also carry the rifle around your shoulder by putting your head through the sling. This is how I typically carry my heavy rigs.

If this is not comfortable for you then defintely try the Eberlestock. Ceylone at deltaoutdoorsman.com gives some pretty good prices to Hide members.

My Crusader, with a NF, suppressor, bipod, sling and stock pack loaded with calls weighs in at 18lbs. I'm only 160lbs soaking wet and i us it for coyote calling and deer hunting, with 155g Lapua's. on long hikes i pull the backpack off my phantom and just use the scabard pack. Works well.

xdeano

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LeviSS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.mcnett.com/Camo-Form-Protective-Camouflage-Wrap-P274.aspx

McNett CamoForm wrap for the barrel. </div></div>

Thats the exact stuff I was thinking of trying out.It's not that expensive + it's not gonna permanetly alter the rifle as I'm a bit apprehensive about krylon'ing it just yet.Thanks dude!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hamr56</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would defintely go with the 155 grain scenars. As far as the weight you can also carry the rifle around your shoulder by putting your head through the sling. This is how I typically carry my heavy rigs.

If this is not comfortable for you then defintely try the Eberlestock. Ceylone at deltaoutdoorsman.com gives some pretty good prices to Hide members. </div></div>

I'ts handy that the sceners are getting good reccomendations since I already have load development done on them.Talks for the advice on slings man I appreciate it.

I may have to revise my beliefs on what a heavy rifle is...oh and man the fuck up.I think it's just that any of my buddies that hunt use your typical stock remmy 700 bdl's and other light rifles so I thought I was a snowflake for wanting to bring my 'artillery piece' out into the field. Guess not ha.I love the hide.

Being a Savage, it would be pretty easy to source a lighter barrel that's a DIY swapout during hunting season.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunman_7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Found it!!

I thought it had a cradle for the but stock but I was wrong... Now we just have to identify the product in the film...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTl1Hp5pa7I </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunman_7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like from the comments below the video that it was a home made item, good news is looks like he is a Hide member, just not sure of his name yet... Maybe he'll pipe up... </div></div>

He is me.

Yeah the idea was an origonal concept I got from carrying my golf clubs in one of those double shoulder slings, but after I got the first prototype done, I realized that TAB already had one out.

Either way you go, home grown or store bought, the double shoulder sling is pretty hard to beat for a heavy rifle. (I just happen to enjoy making my own gear)
I've never really liked using Rattle Can paint on a gun, but there is no doubt that it does work to camo it, and it can work well.

IMAG0142.jpg

IMAG0145.jpg

I did a lot of hunting in SE Asia with a 23 lb rifle w/a 50 round assualt belt. I only weighed about 140.

Of course now I'm old and lazy, I carry a Winchester Featherweight

My rifle is heavy as well, roughly 14-14.5 lbs. I carry muzzle-down on my shoulder just about everywhere. If I gotta get in rocky terrain (not likely where I go) then I carry it in my hands. You should be fine, unless you are hunting in Montana and hiking ALL day.

tacticalwheelbarrow.jpg

this, and it doubles as a ground blind/hide :)

on a serious note, plan you hunts where you either have little walking to do, or hunt a pipeline where you can put that long barrel to use

That is one D-lux rolling ground blind... Or you can do like I do and put some ATV gun mounts on the bars of your mountain bike. Poor man's Bad Boy Buggy. Don't hate, it works. Does get used to you rolling by, so much better than walking to and from stands especially if you walk or ride near/past food plots.

My 11 year old son humps a 11 lb .223 all over gods country all day on coyote hunts and doesnt even wimper. SLING it and forget about it, you won't feel it until after you are dragging your deer anyway.

cbass, nice set up, pretty slick.

Stick with the Lapua's and worry about shot placement, not bullet choice.

And If you were going to be really ruffing it to go deer hunting, I'd say get a different rifle but for one or two trips a year, what you have will do just fine.

Rabbit hunting ?
grin.gif
!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did a lot of hunting in SE Asia with a 23 lb rifle w/a 50 round assualt belt. I only weighed about 140.

Of course now I'm old and lazy, I carry a Winchester Featherweight </div></div>

I have a similar biathalon type sling
http://www.longrangehunting.com/gearshop/double-shoulder-outlaw-sling.html

It works OK, I'm not sold on it yet, you have to cinch it down to keep it from flopping around, does not let you wear a backpack.... even when hunting from camp you should have some minimal gear in a pack or something.

I actually prefer an Israeli sling with the rifle slung in front, do a lot of walking with the butt of the rifle under my armpit, holding the front of the dbm mag.... I don't know if you get that but I tried....
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did a lot of hunting in SE Asia</div></div>

hehehe

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did a lot of hunting in SE Asia with a 23 lb rifle w/a 50 round assualt belt. I only weighed about 140.

Of course now I'm old and lazy, I carry a Winchester Featherweight </div></div>

Hoss!What a badass post. Thank you for your hunting.

patsbearonsnowwithlapua.jpg

Here's a black bear I shot this spring with my GAP .338LM that weighs 20 pounds. Three mile walk in. I carried it with a Tac Ops drag bag.

Montana Marine and I think a lot alike...for a hunting rifle...get an aftermarket barrel that weighs a lot less...you can install it yourself. Same caliber or whatever you wish. When you get back from the hunt...put the sewer pipe on. Couple of hundred dollars at the most. If you search around, take off barrel for the Savage can be had for less than a hundred. Tools...about $50. Most folks here will swap them for less. For a hunt for deer...you don't need 1/4 Knat's ass barrels. 1 1/2 to 2 inches at a hundred yards is plenty for deer up to elk. Purists will quibble. JMHO