• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Hunting with a heavy ass rifle

Re: Hunting with a heavy ass rifle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For a hunt for deer...you don't need 1/4 Knat's ass barrels. 1 1/2 to 2 inches at a hundred yards is plenty for deer up to elk. Purists will quibble. JMHO </div></div>

I'm definitely not a purist...but I certainly wouldn't take off a "1/4 Knat's Ass" barrel and put on a 1.5-2.0 MOA barrel just because it's "too heavy". Maybe it's just me, but that sounds like a perfect reason to get back into shape or like he's doing...re-evaluate how to carry it.

I like my remington 700 LTR for carrying, stand hunting, and hunting at night out of the truck. I have tried everything else and keep grabbing it when I open the safe

If you have to tote gear as well look at the Eberlestock rifle packs

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c_bass16</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For a hunt for deer...you don't need 1/4 Knat's ass barrels. 1 1/2 to 2 inches at a hundred yards is plenty for deer up to elk. Purists will quibble. JMHO </div></div>

I'm definitely not a purist...but I certainly wouldn't take off a "1/4 Knat's Ass" barrel and put on a 1.5-2.0 MOA barrel just because it's "too heavy". Maybe it's just me, but that sounds like a perfect reason to get back into shape or like he's doing...re-evaluate how to carry it. </div></div>

I think it is awfully hard to hunt with a 2 moa gun after getting used to a half moa gun. Most of my shots come from 50-150 yards and at that range 3 moa will work...but i prefer my best toys. ive got a 6 pound walking gun...its covered in dust in the back of my safe. to each his own i guess.

I use the "Claw Rifle Sling" from Cabelas for my hunting. It will not slip off of your shoulder and is comfortable. I also like the safari sling if not planning to do a lot of mountain climbing.

Get rid of the bipod... buy shooting sticks.

Little update... My dad recently picked up a cz 550 hunting rifle 6.5/55. I got a chance to shoot it and generally fondle it a bit.Gosh the thing feels like a bb gun compared to my savage, its so light. I also did my first ruck yesterday to get myself more conditioned to improve my sherpa skills. I just did 22 pounds for 3 miles at a quick pace. I have some work ahead of me lol.

hillwalker97

you should be fine. especially cause you are young. I just graduated from highschool myself. I purchased a heavy remington 700 243. win and topped it off with a bipod and a scope and it must weigh between 10-12 lbs. Which really isn't that heavy i guess but it must be my heaviest rifle and this year i will be hauling along with me to Montana for my Elk/whitetail hunt. I obviously wont be taking it for my elk, i will be using my light weight 300. wsm which i just purchased a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50mm FFP for (just have to pick it up from a buddies place!!)for the elk.

+1 on the flush cups. That would help out quite a bit.

I highly recommend a set of shooting sticks(buy or college solution = make) if you are planning on deer hunting with a varmint/heavy weight rifle.

i mostly hunt from tree stands or box blinds here so hunting with my precision rig has never been a problem..but i wouldn't want to lug it up a mountain

Just bought an Eberlestock GS2. I'll let you know how it hauls my 20# rifle in a few weeks.

I have some nice heavy rifles that make it into the field every now and then but I picked up a Kimber Montana in 308 that makes tiny little groups with just about anything in 165 grain. Whole thing weighs 6.5lbs with scope and 10 rounds of ammo. My other rifles are now jealous.

ditch the bipod. im in need of a good sling too. i will probably end up getting a TAB if i can find one thats not overly tactical with a bunch of buckles and loops.

if your in a blind i wouldn't worry too much about the shiny barrel imo.

my .308 likes fusions and it kills them dead too. i dropped a bull nilgai easily with one shot, cut the bullet out of his skin on the other shoulder and it had held together well. use whatever your gun shoots best imo.

Just think of how cool you will look in the picture with a dead bambi and a 15lb rifle. 15 lb is not that bad, and you could probably rig up something comfortable with a needle, thread, and the straps off of your or someone else's back pack.

Or cut all the shit off the front of the backpack leaving the straps and connection points on the material of the back piece, where it wont fray, of the pack and sew in some straps with sling swivels on it to connect it.